Dark renders

Why are my renders alwasy dark?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,726

Have no idea without more info and possibly a screenshot or two to see what the issue is.

• ...are you adding a light source?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Interior or exterior scenes?

If interior, try increasing the "cm^2 Factor" to 10 in Tone Mapping

• Thank you! The tone map thingy fixed it.

• One thing to remember is in tone mapper, there are settings in there like you would use in a real camera.  Using a higher ISO is recommended for darker scenes, while ISO 100 is good for bright daylight.  Shutter speed also plays into effect here as well.  The longer the shutter is open for, the more light it lets in.  There's a formula that I can't remember off the top of my head right now for ISO, shutter speed and focal length.  This works in the real world, and also works in Daz as well.  But, the higher the ISO, the more grain (or fuzziness) there is in the image.  ISO 100 or even lower would produce the best results (hence why Daz has 100 as the default).  But, if you're going for realism, you can crank your ISO up in darker situations (such as interior daylight - ISO 200, interior night /w artificial lighting - ISO 400, or interior/exterior night w/out artificial lighting - ISO 800+).

• bvgiroux_fbbb1654d3 said:

One thing to remember is in tone mapper, there are settings in there like you would use in a real camera.  Using a higher ISO is recommended for darker scenes, while ISO 100 is good for bright daylight.  Shutter speed also plays into effect here as well.  The longer the shutter is open for, the more light it lets in.  There's a formula that I can't remember off the top of my head right now for ISO, shutter speed and focal length.  This works in the real world, and also works in Daz as well.  But, the higher the ISO, the more grain (or fuzziness) there is in the image.  ISO 100 or even lower would produce the best results (hence why Daz has 100 as the default).  But, if you're going for realism, you can crank your ISO up in darker situations (such as interior daylight - ISO 200, interior night /w artificial lighting - ISO 400, or interior/exterior night w/out artificial lighting - ISO 800+).

While ISO does affect exposure as in a physyical camera it doesn't add grain (grain in Iray generally comes from a lack of convergence due to few light paths reaching an area). Similarly idecreasing the shutter speed value does not introduce motion blur, and decreasing the fStop in Render Settings does not add depth of field