Converting Between Genesis Figure Editions?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,625

We all know that it's difficult to keep track of figures. I'm curious if there is an easy way to convert between them. 

For example, Face Mojo has editiong for Gen 3 and Gen 8. Can I convert an existing Gen 2 character from an old project to Gen 3 so Face Mojo will work. Or can I convert from Gen 3 to Gen 8?

Comments

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,625

Thanks. Picked up the G2 to G8 converter. Works well. I did notice the skin doesn't come along for the ride. Is there a way to cover a G8 Michael with a G2 Michael Skin?

Been trying this for characters that I've altered with various morphs and running into trouble.  The direction say to load the morphed character, then load a stock Gen 8 figure, then select the G2, then the G8, and then activate the converter.

The results I'm getting is all the morphs are stripped from the G2 figure is and it becomes a copy of the G8 figure. So the converter seems to be working backwards.

Thanks. I did pick that up a few days ago. But before I can use it, I need the G8 fig to look like the original G2 figure. At least I assume that's the order. So once I can get the converter to work, I'll apply the skin.

One work-around I'm going to try is to to just convert the stock Michael 6 G2 character...and then see if I can apply the morphs I've applied to the G2...to the G8 version. There does seem to be a way to save a set of morphs (changing the shape of nose, chin, mouth, etc) and I assume apply them to a new figure. But I'm not sure if G2 morphs can be applied to a G8 fig.  

Complicated, but it's just for an old project that started in the days of G2. Going forward, I'll use G8 figs and make use of the face mocap available for that fig.

edited November 2021

Turns out the G2-G8 converter has been a bust for me. The results look nothing like the original G2 figure. The converter seems to strip away the morphs on the original G2 character and have  no effect on the G8 character. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Cory 8 8.1 Pre Convert.png
    720 x 405 - 283K
    Cory 8 and 8.1 Converted 4.15.png
    720 x 405 - 279K
    Post edited by Deke on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,916
    edited November 2021

That's not exactly a fair comparison, since the textures are so different. Also, the converters don't work on HD morphs, so if the G2 morph you're trying to convert is HD, that would account for some of the missing detail, like the cleft chin. I see enough similarity that I think it's hasty to say that it did nothing.

Post edited by Gordig on

I contend the converter didn't do much as the before Gen 8 is basically identical to the after Gen 8.  I'm trying to get the program to convert the stock Michael 6 character, without any custom morphs, to a Gen 8 version, but no luck so far.