From clips to full movement

starboardstarboard Posts: 452
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Greetings to all,
I have made decent walk cycle and have followed Phil's Tuts for converting the walk cycle into a clip. The clip has been brought back in to the scene and stretched. Everything is daisy. It works fine. The problem is trying to get the figure to move after the clip has ended the walk cycle. The figure no longer wants to move but remains frozen in the last position of the clip.

The question is, can the figure be moved following a clip ? And how.

Comments

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Sorry..eager fingers, forgot to include image. Too much morning coffee.

Starboardtack

Screen_Shot_2015-02-21_at_10.36_.37_AM_.png
    1516 x 899 - 149K
  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

Sure, it can be made to move after the walk clip is over. When you click on the NLA clip, a dialog is generated (see pic). You can then insert another clip and adjust it, using the "match previous position" feature. Usually, you select the hip or one of the feet.

clip.PNG
    314 x 544 - 64K
    edited December 1969

Thanks argus 1000,

It sounds like I can only follow a clip with another clip and not simply begin key framing various parts. I was suspecting that would be the case. It sure limits the usefulness of the clips. All or nothing. I think maybe I will just copy and past the keyframes instead of using clips, that way my options are still there.

Thanks again,
    Starboardtack

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited February 2015

In that respect it is limited. But did you know that you can add more tracks to a figure, and not just more clips? You could have a walk cycle and add a track and place another movement track in there, such as an arm swing or head turn. You could also add one for just blinking eyes or other ticks.

In my example, I created an Animation Group, went to the NLA tab, and clicked Add Track twice, to create a total of three NLA tracks.

Picture_5.png
    654 x 337 - 17K
    Picture_4.png
    1053 x 235 - 30K
    Picture_3.png
    272 x 298 - 28K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Evilproducer,
    Thanks for the response. If I understand what your saying I can add parallel tracks. However, they would have to be tracks with other clips. If I understand it correctly you cannot use a clip and then go back to using keyframes. Once you use a clip you have to continue using clips.

Time to eat will try some of this later,,..

Thanks for the help.

Starboardtack

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

msteaka said:
    Evilproducer,
    Thanks for the response. If I understand what your saying I can add parallel tracks. However, they would have to be tracks with other clips. If I understand it correctly you cannot use a clip and then go back to using keyframes. Once you use a clip you have to continue using clips.

Time to eat will try some of this later,,..

Thanks for the help.

Starboardtack

I've got a rig to create for a figure and will probably make some NLA clips for it, so I will play around with it a bit myself in the next couple days.