Ok Iray distance fog and fireflies...

montrealfilmguymontrealfilmguy Posts: 127
edited October 2021 in New Users

so i got a really nice city model free at deviantart, so i thought this would be a good subject to try the Iray distance fog.

It looks fantastic and has really easy parameters in the actor section.

However i thought i had read to push the post denoizer at a number like 200 or more would solve that problem of fireflies.

could it be my image is not large enough ? Or something else ? ( i just checked again and could these be created because i didnt turn off the headlamp ? sicne the fireflies are so close to the camera.

Thanks everyone. Merci beaucoup tout le monde.

2021-10-07_15h33_43.png
472 x 462 - 62K
2021-10-07_15h33_27.png
276 x 411 - 19K
iray distance fog test 1.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 2M
Post edited by montrealfilmguy on

Comments

• Do you have a link for the model so we can check it out on our computers?

• Oh yes for the fog, I was thinking of this model referred to as "really nice city model free at deviantart" ... the forum glitch has made the attachments vanish again, but if I recall correctly the fireflies were on the model. Wild guess they may have required a little more light, the switching from auto to either memory or speed on one of the options on the Render Settings Tab, or ???

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,717
    edited October 2021

montrealfilmguy_64133115f9 said:

so i got a really nice city model free at deviantart, so i thought this would be a good subject to try the Iray distance fog.

It looks fantastic and has really easy parameters in the actor section.

However i thought i had read to push the post denoizer at a number like 200 or more would solve that problem of fireflies.

could it be my image is not large enough ? Or something else ? ( i just checked again and could these be created because i didnt turn off the headlamp ? sicne the fireflies are so close to the camera.

Thanks everyone. Merci beaucoup tout le monde.

Yes I think the headlamp could be part (or all) of your problem. This set does seem to be rather "sensitive" to harsh/bright lights. There are also many light emitting objects in the scene which will also have a huge hit on render speed with fog/haze props. There is an image in my gallery that used this scene and a fog prop and it took a long time for the fireflies to clear up on some of the surfaces (and just took a long time to render and clear up the fog).

Post edited by DustRider on

Catherine3678ab said:

Oh yes for the fog, I was thinking of this model referred to as "really nice city model free at deviantart" ... the forum glitch has made the attachments vanish again, but if I recall correctly the fireflies were on the model. Wild guess they may have required a little more light, the switching from auto to either memory or speed on one of the options on the Render Settings Tab, or ???

It's an awesome set and free!! It's by sfman at DA.

• DustRider said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Oh yes for the fog, I was thinking of this model referred to as "really nice city model free at deviantart" ... the forum glitch has made the attachments vanish again, but if I recall correctly the fireflies were on the model. Wild guess they may have required a little more light, the switching from auto to either memory or speed on one of the options on the Render Settings Tab, or ???

It's an awesome set and free!! It's by sfman at DA.

Thank you, downloading now :-) 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,911

Just judging by your render, it looks to me like you just need to render longer. And yes, turn off the headlamp. Making your image larger will not help.

• Thanks for all the replies good people.

Yes i shouldve linked the Iray fog link and the sfman deviant art one too. It is a great set and he has a few others smaller sets that seem worth downloading as well.

so yes, i will turn of the headlamp,see what that does. That barrier close to the camera seems to reflect more as it looks like metal. Maybe find a better spot.

The problem that remains is always... what numbers for the rendering quality, the max samples the size of the image, etc. a lot of trial and error.

I dont have the most powerful of PC's and i cant even do D-force on my card yet. I do have 32 gigs of RAM.

Sorry, I can't really help much with the denoiser settings,  I  never use it because in general I don't like the results. The image I did with fog took around 10 hours, I had to set everything to crazy high values to force Iray to render that long (IIRC convergence was at 100%, quality was at 2, and time was set to "infinite"). I could have stopped it sooner and fixed stuff in post,  but I wanted to see if I could get everything cleared up with Iray only. Worked for everything but a couple of minor issues. The image I did was a fairly low light scene, so I was impressed that it cleared up so well.

I rendered my image on an RTX 2070. Not super powerful,  but it does what I need.