Wind

OldminerOldminer Posts: 134
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Where can I find instructions on setting up wind and animate it to blow hair during an animation?

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

In the 'Insert' dropdown, select 'Directional force' which is down towards the bottom of the list. It will come into the scene as a big arrow pointing in the direction the directional force is blowing.

You can then play with the way the 'wind' points by rotating the Directional Force, and how hard it blows by changing the strength parameter as you animate.

This is not the only scene force that could simulate wind, by the way, but it is the easiest and most straightforward. :)

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

It's great for making your dynamic hair blow as you animate, for even more fun, try putting a particle emitter in the scene and watching how it throws the particles around too. Or stick a soft body cloth object that's soft body attached to a non-moving object and you can run physics sims to see the cloth flap in the 'wind'

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

And again, as Jon alluded to, the level of force can be keyframed, as well as the direction. Just as an FYI, it won't eddy or whirl about, but you can add more directional forces or other forces to your scene to simulate the effect.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited February 2015

And again, as Jon alluded to, the level of force can be keyframed, as well as the direction. Just as an FYI, it won't eddy or whirl about, but you can add more directional forces or other forces to your scene to simulate the effect.

There's some other forces for eddy and whirl and stuff...I forget the names right now....and you can keyframe those too. Just be careful, some of the default strengths are somewhere between Intergalactic Demolition and Universal Destruction...

So start very very small if you're using dynamic cloth or hair...very small. And as I recall, some don't work with cloth and/or hair. the cloth flies off into oblivion.

And keep in mind, when someone walks it's around 1 or 2 feet per second. So start your directional force in that range, instead of the default 6 if you want to simulate someone walking.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

There's some other forces for eddy and whirl and stuff...I forget the names right now....and you can keyframe those too. Just be careful, some of the default strengths are somewhere between Intergalactic Demolition and Universal Destruction...

So start very very small if you're using dynamic cloth or hair...very small. And as I recall, some don't work with cloth and/or hair. the cloth flies off into oblivion.

And keep in mind, when someone walks it's around 1 or 2 feet per second. So start your directional force in that range, instead of the default 6 if you want to simulate someone walking.

Yeah, I couldn't remember the names of the forces and was working on my lines so I didn't have much time to look them up. I'm thinking there's point forces, torque forces and flow forces among others.

Then there are non-physics wind settings for things like the ocean primitive and in the plant editor.