How do you put 'any' gun into a figure's hand?

Dear Daz Luminaries,

How do you put 'any' gun into a figure's hand?

Some gun props automatically go into a figure's hand whilst others start in a neutral position on the floor next to the figure's feet.  (Is this because some 3D content author's include a 'rig to hand' and some don't?)

I can translate the gun into the character's 'grip' pose.  But is there something easier and more obvious that I'm missing?

Regards,

Kyle.

Comments

• PS.  New user 'getting into' Daz 3D.  I'm starting to have fun. ;)

Kyle.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Any poses to put a gun prop in a figure's hand are made by the PA. If it doesn't include one, you can make one yourself. Just position the gun in the correct spot and parent it to the figure's hand bone. When you move the hand, the gun will follow it.

Once you have it posed, hit File -> Save As -> Pose Preset

• Thank you, Margrave.

Kyle.

• I've been having trouble with props that load in place (say, a gun that loads in a figure's hand) misbehaving when I try to unparent them. Instead of staying in position like most props (you move the hand, the gun stays where it is), the opposite happens- the gun randomly shifts position the moment it is unparented, while the hand remains where it is. I've spent the better part of an hour trying to coax a G3 handheld prop to stay put so that I can more easily pose it in a G8 hand (that way, in the future, I can load up the G8 prop and pose intead), and it seems like it should be a no-brainer except for the fact that the prop won't stay put.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

I've been having trouble with props that load in place (say, a gun that loads in a figure's hand) misbehaving when I try to unparent them. Instead of staying in position like most props (you move the hand, the gun stays where it is), the opposite happens- the gun randomly shifts position the moment it is unparented, while the hand remains where it is. I've spent the better part of an hour trying to coax a G3 handheld prop to stay put so that I can more easily pose it in a G8 hand (that way, in the future, I can load up the G8 prop and pose intead), and it seems like it should be a no-brainer except for the fact that the prop won't stay put.

It's because, once you unparent it, the prop is no longer having its parent's translation added to its own. See if there's an "unparent in place" option.

• The Parent In Place option applies to unparenting too - that is changing the parent to the Universe. It is a check box at the bottom of the Change Partent dialogue, if using that, or a checkable menu item in the Scene pane option meny if using drag-and-drop (the lined button in the top corner, or right-click the pane's tab).

• That seems to do the trick. Thanks, everyone!

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471

OP...and if it starts far away from a different characters hand, you can use this to get it closer:  placing an object in a character's hand - Daz 3D Forums

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471

...and I forgot even better is the mcjParent script:  mcasualsdazscripts3 - mcjParent (google.com)

I needed to do similar with a cup of coffee for a recent image, and after doing the above, recalled this.