Help rendering outlines in C8.5 Pro

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have an object (a tooth) which has a canal buried inside of the root.

I need to render an outline of the different shading domains (which would be the crown, the root, and the canal inside of the root).

Is there a way to do this with C8.5 Pro (I also have Toon Pro and Wireframe Pro if those help)

I've check the box for outlining shading domains in Toon Pro but it's not showing the canals.

Even if I set the alpha of the root to 0, or the transparency to 100% - or both - I still haven't been able to get an outline of the canals.

(No problem turning down the root's opacity and getting a regular image that shows the canal buried in the root) - but I specifically need the outlines right now.

(considering a workaround where I remove the root mesh, render the canal's outline, and composite in Photoshop - but that's not ideal)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

The wall of the canal would need to be another shading domain. Do you know how to set those up?

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Hey Evil - out doing good once again?

I did set the canal up as a separate domain (and was surprised when the outlining didn't work).

Not sure if I have a setting wrong somewhere in Toon Pro (or if I should be able to do this without any plugins) -- or if you simply can't render an outline of a domain that's completely covered by another, even when that more superficial one is fully transparent and has opacity of 0.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Right now I'm putting together a Multichannel Reference shader (with Shoestring shaders plug in) - and going to see if just rendering blocks of solid color in the required areas will let Illustrator create the simple tracings of each domain (which I need for the larger project)

Thanks

edited December 1969

Just re-discovered the override settings under effects for Toon Pro - and if I uncheck remove hidden lines here, I can get the internal domains to show up. Need to see if there's a way to clean up some of the extra lines being generated. But I can do that in Photoshop if necessary without the hassle of some other options I was considering.

edited January 2015

I don't have that plugin. I did try with the scene effect Toon III, and this is what I had at the default settings. It didn't fully respect the alpha on the cube. You can see the tunnel, but also the shape of the cube. In the Photorealistic renderer, the alpha behaves as would expect.

If you're going to go for a toon effect, can you render an image sequence with the photorealistic renderer and then batch process it through Image Ready (since it sounds like you have PS) and use a toon-like filter on it, such as Poster Edges? That's what I did for this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqkRvyKYDgo

The first few seconds with the helicopter is the un-altered image sequence. The last bit uses the poster edge filter and is batch applied through Image Ready. It's been awhile since I did it, so I'm sure I would need to look up how to do it again.

non-toon.jpg
    640 x 480 - 11K
    toon_test.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Just re-discovered the override settings under effects for Toon Pro - and if I uncheck remove hidden lines here, I can get the internal domains to show up. Need to see if there's a way to clean up some of the extra lines being generated. But I can do that in Photoshop if necessary without the hassle of some other options I was considering.

Cross posting is fun! ;-)

edited December 1969

Nice fly through on the link!

I'm not looking for any toon effects - I was just using toon pro because it gave me a convenient way to get outlines of shading domains - wasn't sure if Carrara let you do that natively.

Anyhow, after playing with some more settings, I think I have things close enough to go this route and erase the extra stray marks in Photoshop.

Thanks