Carrara Innovation Award

JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
edited January 2015 in Carrara Discussion

I hereby have decided that we need a "Carrara Innovation Award".

In the last couple of weeks we've had, IMO, two EXCELLENT innovations that have impressed the heck out of me. In fact, they've made me smack myself in the head and my jaw drops and I say "Wow, this is amazing !!"

In my view, the winner of the award clearly goes to joeping. This guy (I presume he's a guy...) came up with a revelation that explodes years of misguided myth regarding applying Bullet cloth to conforming (ie, rigged with bones) objects. At least misguided myth with me, I'm sure everyone else knew all about this... :)

Anyway, he revealed that you can easily apply Bullet cloth to any conforming object, either clothing or hair or whatever. And it works. Well, as long as the mesh is okay.

The implications and ramifications of this are mind blowing. No longer do you have to build your own cloth .obj clothing, you can drag 'n drop whatever conforming content you have and use that.

And what's even better is that this method allows you to take conforming clothing, or hair, that doesn't really fit or drape will, and, like most conforming clothing, might look very stiff and unnatural, and make it drape under the natural gravity in Bullet. Pretty awesome stuff.

So congratulations to joeping for being the world's first Carrara Innovation Award winner, with a brilliant idea.

And a very close runner up is stringtheory9, who came up with a brilliant workaround to deal with the inability of Bullet cloth to collide with moving objects. This is a problem that comes and goes with v8 releases of Carrara, and presently the problem has been there for at least a year or so as I recall.

Well, he came up with a workaround whereby you softbody attach a "rigid" cloth object to a moving object (like a character's body, etc.), and have the cloth collide with that. The idea is that cloth CAN collide with other moving Bullet cloth, so you use an invisible shell around the moving object to act as a collision object.

Very cool idea. It does get kind of complicated to make it all work, but it is a very legitimate workaround for an extremely annoying problem.

Congratulation to both joeping and stringtheory9 for injecting some real innovation into the Carrara universe. !!!!

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on

Comments

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the vote of confidence Joe,
    Unfortunately I am finding that there is a reason for people not using conforming objects as dynamic clothing. It all falls apart on a moving figure. Which is were it has real value. I spent most of today trying to get it to work on a dress and it works on a static figure, but I am disappointed with how it works on a moving figure. They walk right out of the clothing. Maybe someone smarter than me can get it to work.

DUDU has a great technique detailed on CARRARATORS - Carrara Animators Forum [ http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/index.php?topic=176.msg1226#msg1226 ]
    stringtheory9's thread on Animated Dynamic Clothing Technique that is very innovative [ http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/ ]

I'm hoping the next version of Carrara has dynamic clothing functionality.

There are many other people doing more innovative things with Carrara, SphereicLab's luxiscore Carrara promises a manageable way to bring lux rendered animation to Carrara. Simon Guard's Octane Render for Carrara (OR4C) is transforming Carrara as we know it. I also need to mention PhilW educating us all with his great tutorials.

Plus all the great contributors on this forum like Orion_Uk, dustrider, Jonstark, RingoMonfort, evilproducer, DUDU, wendy♥catz, CyBoRgTy_, argus1000, chohole, Rashad Carter, Sci Fi Funk, 0oseven, mmoir, Steve K, DUDU, stringtheory9 and you JoeMamma2000. I am leaving out a too many people that are doing great things too.

Also we all need to thank the people who create the software and content we use.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Unfortunately I am finding that there is a reason for people not using conforming objects as dynamic clothing. It all falls apart on a moving figure. Which is were it has real value..

Yeah, that's because the developers disconnected the ability to collide with moving objects a while ago. It did work at one point (maybe with C8?), but since Bullet cloth is still in beta, they've been connecting and disconnecting various features as they work on it. So you're pretty much out of luck on doing that in Carrara, unless you implement something like your runner up came up with. Still, it's a workaround and requires a lot of effort to implement, but it's an option.

The only other thing you can do is import/export to another app, like Blender or Marvelous Designer or iClone maybe.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I 100% agree, there really should be an innovation award. :) And you've named 2 of the most deserving in recent weeks. Just want to throw some kudos out there.

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

+1,
    and what joeping said.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    edited December 1969

Here, here! Agreed!
    ...and would also like to add Fractal Dimensia for his work on PySwarm.
    joeping has been fascinating me with his intelligently conducted experiments with full vigor since he's joined the forum, not long ago. Bravo!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Do you have some news of DimensionT ?
    I always admire his experiments on Youtube and we have so much to learn from him !

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 1969

Do you have some news of DimensionT ?
    I always admire his experiments on Youtube and we have so much to learn from him !

I am also a bit concerned about the absence of Age of Armour, William Hurt, he was mostly a Carraraite too before DAZ studio AoA SSS fame and I have accumulated many questions for him regarding adapting those textures DAZ now adds to EVERYTHING in store so the stuff also works in Carrara!!!
  • JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited January 2015

Thanks for the kind words,
    Agreed that Fractal Dimensia and DimensionT need to be recognized. The PySwarm plug in is so powerful and DimensionT experiments and products have tons to teach us all. Also Fenric and SparrowHawke are some of the most inspiring and innovative Carrara developers out there.

Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

I would like to nominate BWTR (Brian) who passed away several years ago. A real innovator and always pioneered software as the first 'man' in. (MOI3D, - second person to order 3DCoat, many new and unexplored projects in Carrara)

bwtr.jpg
    65 x 100 - 3K