Do I need to reinstall content if I have been using Daz Studio 4.6?

dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello all,
I have been using DS for awhile now (love it) and I just purchased Carrara since it is very reasonable with the current sale. Now my question is do I need to reinstall the runtime? Or will Carrara just use the runtime just fine?

I spent a lot of time creating categories in DS and organizing, I really don't want to mess that up. As I understand it Carrara will also use Smart Content data as well. Do I need to do anything for that to work if the runtime is already in place?

I have looked around here but nothing specific in regard to this, and as I said, I don't want to mess up my DS runtime. And if it will, perhaps I had better install Carrara on a different machine. Or to another path (although that is a LOT of space to take up for a second runtime install).

I have been using DIM for all my content installs (from Daz anyway, other places have their own folder/runtime) into DS. So there isn't anything unusual with regard to my runtime setup.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I do use an older version of Carrara that is pre-DIM and smart content, but I try and keep up a bit. Basically what I'm going to do here is regurgitate some stuff that I have read, so your mileage may vary.
    ;-)

As I understand it, when DAZ updated their database code, it broke smart content in Carrara. You need to revert to the old database code. I think it's called Valentina or something. I'll look to see if I can find a link....

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Yes, Carrara currently only works with the original Valentina CMS, so if you install the PostgreSQL CMS, any new content you install won't show up in Smart Content in Carrara.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

But as for the location of your DS/Poser content, you don't have to reinstall it for Carrara to access it.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969
  • dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
    edited December 1969

Yes I know about the issues in databases ( Valentina CMS,vs PostgreSQL CMS). I am currently still using the old one (Valentina) so that is not a issue here.

So good too hear I don't have to reinstall anything. Sounds like I just install Carrara and go. And everything should load up properly since it still uses the same CMS database. Thanks for the confirm.