A way to simulate wind with dforce?

SchaakaSchaaka Posts: 147

If i set up a pose can I have hair or a cloak follow dforce renders but have it sway like in the wind?

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Add a dForce Wind Node.

• SchaakaSchaaka Posts: 147

Ascania said:

Add a dForce Wind Node.

Holy guacamole! Never heard of it before and its right there under the create menu, thanks!

Quick question: You know how wind does that [whats the word, brain being big dumb] alternating strength so that things flap, does the dforce wind node do that?

I haven't done much with it yet. Look at the sample scene that came with the dForce Starter Essentials. You can animate blocking objects. You also can animate the position of the wind node. Unfortunately you still can't animate its parameters. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 911

Schaaka said:

Ascania said:

Add a dForce Wind Node.

Holy guacamole! Never heard of it before and its right there under the create menu, thanks!

Quick question: You know how wind does that [whats the word, brain being big dumb] alternating strength so that things flap, does the dforce wind node do that?

I think you might be able to make it do that if you used the timeline and the animated option for your simulation. I've not tried this myself, but here's my theory. You could set the wind node where it needs to be at 0 on the timeline, and set your simulation to animated in the Simulation tab. Then look under the Parameters tab with the node selected. There should be a wind speed option and some other controls for the wind node. Set it up at the strength you would like to start with, then click further down the timeline and change the strength of the wind. You could set different wind strengths all along the timeline, and that would, theoretically, have an effect on any flappy dForce cloth that is being caught in the wind in the simulation as the force of the wind rises and falls. I'm not sure it's bound to produce the effect you're after, but it would be my first guess as to how to do what you describe.

Quixotry said:

Schaaka said:

Ascania said:

Add a dForce Wind Node.

I think you might be able to make it do that if you used the timeline and the animated option for your simulation. I've not tried this myself, but here's my theory. You could set the wind node where it needs to be at 0 on the timeline, and set your simulation to animated in the Simulation tab. Then look under the Parameters tab with the node selected. There should be a wind speed option and some other controls for the wind node. Set it up at the strength you would like to start with, then click further down the timeline and change the strength of the wind. You could set different wind strengths all along the timeline, and that would, theoretically, have an effect on any flappy dForce cloth that is being caught in the wind in the simulation as the force of the wind rises and falls. I'm not sure it's bound to produce the effect you're after, but it would be my first guess as to how to do what you describe.

Thanks for that reply. It made me look again at the timeline and discover that instead of not being there the parameters are merely hidden and can actually be animated and keyframed.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited January 2022

Hi,

I've not been able to get the dforce wind parameters to animate via keyframes. i.e. Dforce Wind node --> Parameters --> strength (mph) is changable on keyframe 0 and that's it. Those kind of parameters don't show up on the timeline to be animated (only position and rotation). Have I missed something here?

What I have done to simulate a breeze blowing is to move the position of the wind node, keeping my subject somewhere in the fall off zone (otherwise the dress blows up). That simulates a breeze pretty well with a dress (my first experiment).

I believe you can add as many wind nodes as you like, and I think they only take effect if visable. I'm yet to confirm that - it will be tomorrows experiement.

What I'm trying to do is show a windy day with a sudden gust of wind that causes the actor to fall back, and I'd like to show that on the dress. So I think adding a 2nd node that takes effect on a cetain frame is the way. If nothing else I can just move it into place at the correct time.

Overall though it looks great!

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • If you look ant the "In The Studio" section there is a great tutorial on dFore and it includes the wind node  https://www.daz3d.com/in-the-studio-with-daz-3d