Need help making clothing

VolcanicMinkVolcanicMink Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I would like to create my own clothing, but I only find tutorials for the "painted-on" look. I'd like to make loose-fitting garments like dresses, loincloths, and tunics.
I am interested in illustration, not animation. Are there any tutorials out there for this sort of thing? Can this be done with DAZ or Carrara, or do I need to use a paint program?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited July 2012

DAZ Studio cannot do any kind of modelling. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Carrara can do some modelling, but whether you can model clothes with it, we'll have to wait and see what a regular Carrara user has to say about that.

If you are interested in creating clothing that can be used in your 3D graphic renders, you would need modelling software. There's a large selection of such software out there, some very expensive, some mid-priced, and some relatively inexpensive. There are also a few that are free. I myself use Blender, which is free, but it has a very high learning curve. There's also Wings3D, which is free and much easier to use.

If you want my advice, get something like Wings3D and see if you like modelling before you invest any kind of money for a more sophisticated modelling software.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

The Hexagon program is a modeling Program. You can get it from Daz for free at this time. With Hexagon and DS4Pro you will have the tools needed to create a item and then rig it to be used in DS or Poser if the item is not Genesis only. I'm not a modeler myself but I do know others that have made items like you describe with just this software. I recommend getting Hexagon while it is still free and then asking your modeling questions in the Hexagon Forum threads.

Carrara can also do modeling but I'm not up on it's use as a item creation utility.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

There are several tutorials by Fugazi on Renderosity which will teach you a lot about modelling clothes. He uses Silo but that is very similar to Hexagon, so you could use that. It's free at the moment.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The Hexagon program is a modeling Program. You can get it from Daz for free at this time.

Thanks for the reminder Jaderail. I bought it so many years ago, I keep forgetting Hexagon is currently free.
    edited July 2012

wilmap said:
    There are several tutorials by Fugazi on Renderosity which will teach you a lot about modelling clothes. He uses Silo but that is very similar to Hexagon, so you could use that. It's free at the moment.

Do you have a link to those tutorials wilmap? That would certainly help VolcanicMink a lot. Would probably help me too, because up until now clothes and hair are the two things I haven't tried modelling . . . yet. ;-)

Edited to add: Never mind. I found them in the DAZ and Renderosity stores by searching "by Vendor". :-)

Post edited by Miss B on
  • aby8grimwaresaby8grimwares Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hex doesn't work well on OS X 10.7, but I have been playing with Silo and Cheetah. I need more practice though.
    Wings, Blender, Mesh Maker, Open Flipper and Ogre won't work on Unix partition either.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    DAZ Studio cannot do any kind of modelling.

If you use the primitives you can do some very basic modelling, for instance my Haggis:

Haggis.jpg
    542 x 568 - 88K
    edited July 2012

DWG said:
    Miss B said:
    DAZ Studio cannot do any kind of modelling.

If you use the primitives you can do some very basic modelling, for instance my Haggis:

True, but I don't think of primitives (with or without D-formers) as modelling. That's not to say that a character like your Haggis wouldn't come in handy, depending on the type of renders the user likes to create.

That said, VolcanicMink stated s/he wants to create clothing and that is modelling, and something that can't be done just using DAZ Studio. You would need a modelling app like Hex, Blender, Silo, Modo, etc. and then using DS to rig it for the figure it's being made for.

Post edited by Miss B on