Ask opinion for my WIP

DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Here a link on Carrarators where I posted a sequence for my film in progress, I would have liked some criticize and opinion on this sequence…
Thank you.

http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/index.php?topic=147.msg958#msg958

Comments

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

I found the special effects fantastic. Congratulations on the good work! Only the characters animation was not smooth enough for me. They look a bit unnatural, like they need a bit of work.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

The characters are a little stiff in their reaction to what is happening around them. One could limit reactions to facial, do most of the reaction in slow motion or use the old 1950s style technique of

1. stuff is gonna happen
    2. scene cuts to stuff happening
    3. scene cuts to dead and injured bodies laying around.

Either that or spend a lot of time tweaking the character's movement or invest in a motion capture system and act out each event.

The special effects were pretty darn good.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Very nice work DUDU. Great destruction. The sound is great. The character animation could be a bit smoother in some places, but it gets the idea across.

I think for me, the issue is the lighting. It looks a bit flat and I think to many short cuts have been taken. I think the ambient light is set to high. You don't need GI, just some better placed lights I think.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!
    You are right everybody, I must improve my characters animations in some footages.
    It is those where I use fixed pose with no keyframes transitions.
    D.A., I will do one or two footages moreover to show panicked people more closely, there is already but they are too far.
    EP, you are right surely also for the luminosity, I projected this sequence in a great room and it was too bright.
    On my two PC, it's OK I will thus re-examine the calibration of my screens.
    With regard to lightings, I never use the GI (too long renders), but in this sequence, I want to reinforce the dramatic aspect with a dark image, the sky is almost black clouds and it rains but the footage with a lot of cars is too flat, I agree.
    I will re-examine all that and thank you still for your comments!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971
    edited December 1969

Hi DUDU,

Am having to do my work this week as we are going to Amsterdam for the weekend.... erm...what city is this in your animation LOL!!

I definitely found myself drawn into the panic and destruction. Great concept and build up. I wouldn't know how to comment on the technical bits, but know you can sort them.

Will be interesting to see the whole film when ready!

xx :) Silene

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

DUDU,

It's really amazing!. Only one comment, and I see it in a lot of special effects in movies. The falling debris and colliding objects don't seem to have any weight. A large chunk of building bounces off the roof of the car and then slides down the side. In reality it would just crush the car. There are other examples, but I think you get the idea.

edited December 1969

Thank you for your comments Silène, the film should make approximately 21 minutes and I'm only at the middle !
    Brian, I always use the physical engine of Carrara, then I converted the simulation in keyframes because there are far too many calculations in only one scene (there are a lot of particles too).
    Also sometimes I forget to center the hot point before the simulation and I must modify it manually.
    You are right for the large stone on the car, there is rebound whereas one wouldn't have any, I will remove the last keyframes…
    Thank you for your help!

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

DUDU,

Carrara's physics engine doesn't always do a good job. You may get better results if you tweak the material properties of the debris. I'm not sure what units the density setting is in, but I'm assuming that 1 is water. Concrete is about two to three times that. You can also reduce the bounce so it won't bounce off the roof.

Screen_Shot_2014-09-16_at_11.07_.14_AM_.png
    240 x 259 - 22K
    edited September 2014

Yes, I always play with these adjustments, gravity also and collision distance on " zero".
    I always look at the result before transforming a simulation into keyframes but here, it's happy that you have me point it out.
    There are so much things to check before a render…
    Thanks.

Post edited by DUDU on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227
    edited December 1969

Looking good DUDU. I especially noticed the big crowd stampede at ~1:12. Is that some special crowd generator? Or just a bunch of Poser characters?

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    Looking good DUDU. I especially noticed the big crowd stampede at ~1:12. Is that some special crowd generator? Or just a bunch of Poser characters?

Hi Steve,
    They are about 20 instances of “Lorenzo & Loretta LOREZ” replicated on a simple transparent plane .
    I believe that there are 6 duplications and the planes are oriented in the direction of the streets.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227
    edited December 1969

Steve K said:

Hi Steve,
    They are about 20 instances of “Lorenzo & Loretta LOREZ” replicated on a simple transparent plane .
    I believe that there are 6 duplications and the planes are oriented in the direction of the streets.

Works for me, I have the Lorez characters, I'm gonna try that.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

I am giving it a "t" for Terrific!
    For me, the first woman you see shou;ld be running and holding her hands up and looking terrified.

Most importantly, the overall look would be improved dramatically by shadows.

Apart from that. there is so much going on that I think it works extremely well.
    Of course the characters could be less stiff, but they are 'characters not real humans. ;)

edited December 1969

I'm of agreement with you, I will improve the end of the animation of this woman (her hairs and clothe too), I don't like it either!
    With regard to the shadows, it's difficult to make for scenes where there is no sun, if you have advises, they are welcome.
    Thank you.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

No sun? Sorry I missed that. If there is no sun then maybe the street lights will come on and there will be other light sources like headlights to give shadows? Shadows help objects sit properly in a scene and help us suspend our disbelief. Just an idea that's all :) cheers