Carrara not displaying system fonts

jack 4Djack 4D Posts: 28
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi. I'm having a problem with Carrara not recognizing my system fonts when I use the Text tool. The list of fonts that displays in the Text Modeler is very short compared to what's installed on my system and most of them don't even display when I select them. The text vanishes from the text window. The only one that works properly is Palatino which allows me to use all of its weights. The others, if they work at all, just come up as one weight, no matter which version I choose. I am using an older version of Carrara (v6) with Snow Leopard. Is this simply an incompatibility issue or might there be a work around? The program works fine otherwise.

Comments

• jack 4Djack 4D Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Came up w/ a workaround for the font issue. Apparently Carrara 6 running in Snow Leopard only recognizes fonts that are in a certain format, e.g., fonts that come in a "Font Suitcase" containing all the components. I've been installing fonts that I had in this format from my old computer and they all work perfectly, so at least now I have more of a selection. And, of course, I can always bring in text from another application.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Jack 4D said:
    Hi. I'm having a problem with Carrara not recognizing my system fonts when I use the Text tool. The list of fonts that displays in the Text Modeler is very short compared to what's installed on my system and most of them don't even display when I select them. The text vanishes from the text window. The only one that works properly is Palatino which allows me to use all of its weights. The others, if they work at all, just come up as one weight, no matter which version I choose. I am using an older version of Carrara (v6) with Snow Leopard. Is this simply an incompatibility issue or might there be a work around? The program works fine otherwise.

I think that there was a change in how Snow Leopard handled fonts, and older versions of Carrara (prior to C8.0) could have issues. The issues that I'm familiar with were usually with Carrara not displaying fonts in its interface. I never had that issue personally, but others did have it. I know there was a fix for it but I don't recall what it was.

Regarding your issue, it may be completely unrelated to what I mentioned above, but I felt it worth a mention. The other likely possibility is that you can only use True Type and Type 1 fonts, so that may reduce the number of fonts available in your list.

edited December 1969

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think that my older version of Carrara is limited in the kinds of fonts it can work with (as you mention). I did have the other issue you mentioned as well and found a fix for it on the Daz3D site.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Jack 4D said:
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think that my older version of Carrara is limited in the kinds of fonts it can work with (as you mention). I did have the other issue you mentioned as well and found a fix for it on the Daz3D site.

We cross replied before. I was still typing when you posted your fix. I type slow. That's what happens when your finger tips act more like big toes. ;-)

edited September 2014

I kinda figured that (not that your fingers type like big toes).

Post edited by jack 4D on