How do you use a preset pose file in Carrar?

ScotsprincessScotsprincess Posts: 72
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I really want to learn this program because the scenics are so awesome but I can't figure out how to use the pose files. I have M4 loaded and clothed and I want to use a kneeling pose that I have. After selecting M4, I have double-clicked the pose and did a drag and drop with zero results, other than listing it in with the other props/scene. How can I make this work?

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

hi welcome to carrara
    normally you select M4 in the instances list (the one on bottom right)
    then double click your pose in the content tab over on the left
    that should do it

• ScotsprincessScotsprincess Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

Thank you. I tried that but it didn't work on this particular pose. The pose works in DAZ on this figure but not in Carrara. My other problem is that I keep losing track of the objects I use in the scene. I restarted one scene 5 times before I gave up. "Point at" isn't always an option. If I could figure out how to transport the scene into DAZ and keep all the materials I would just do that but I never seem to get the materials.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

To find something, make sure you are using director camera , select the something you want to see in the instances list, that's the list of things on the right, then hit zero . Can't remember if zero is the usual shortcut....... If you go to the drop down menus at the top you will find one which leads you to v'view object' or similar ... Alternatively select and object you can see then hold down shift and in in the instances tab select the figure you want to move, hit crtl k and then in the window that comes up align the objects on all thee axis and the second object will move to the posn of the first

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

Yes, welcome to Carrara. Try to be patient until you get comfortable with the interface. Like most things, it will click with practice. Just a couple questions to help identify the problem.

- have other M4 poses worked, but not this one? Or, will no poses work for your M4?
    - what location and file type is the pose? That is, are you trying to use a pose that is in the runtime/library/pose framework, or is the pose in the Daz Studio .duf / .dsf framework?

I have attached a couple of screenshots. The first shows the file structure in Carrara's browser tray. M4 was originally created in the runtime/library framework. Carrara should have no problem loading M4, its clothing, hair, and poses in this framework. These are found in the "My Daz 3D Library Runtime" older under the pose category. See pic 1. There is also a folder called "My Daz 3D Library" without the word runtime. That folder has the files in the duf/dsf format, which is where you would want to load genesis and its related content.

I have navigated to the general poses for M4 in the runtime library. See pic 2. I dragged and dropped a running pose from the library to the top level of M4.

After getting a prompt asking me if I wanted to set limits, the result was M4 in the running pose. See pic 3.

Was the pose from the runtime folder's pose subfolder? Or, was it from somewhere else? Was the pose designed for M4, or for another figure (although if it was human it should d something)? Are you sure you dragged it to the top level, not the "model" level?

Any additional details, especially a screenshot of the source of the pose, might help.

3b_m4_posed.jpg
    759 x 645 - 208K
    2b_poses_from_browser_tray.jpg
    1695 x 782 - 531K
    1b_m4_loaded_make_sure_runtime_folder.jpg
    1591 x 606 - 398K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I always select my M4/V4 'hip' in the instances tab, then drag and drop the pose into the scene making sure it's inside the little 'box' and it will ask me if I want to turn of limits for this pose (regardless of whether the pose is actually outside the limits or not, it always seems to give this prompt) I click 'yes' and pose works for me everytime.

I do it this way because I have some poses that didn't work otherwise, so it's just my default way of posing. Hope it helps :)

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,725
    edited August 2014

Not sure what might be going on. Just to be sure we are all talking about the same thing, I attached a screen grab of what it should look like in the instances tab for double clicking on the pose to work. If this is what it looks like, my guess is that you have one of those problem files that works perfectly in DS, but has issues in Carrara (usually a path issue, Carrara isn't as forgiving about malformed file paths as DS is).

If this is the case, a fairly simple fix is to open M4 in DS, set him up the way you want (morphs, mats, etc.), add your pose, then save the scene. You can now import M4 into your Carrara scene by using File>Import. This is usually the easiest way to handle problem content (mats, poses, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Edit - Geeeeze, you guys are FAST (or maybe I'm just to darn slow). Sorry for any redundant info in my post.

M4.JPG
    253 x 700 - 49K
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    I always select my M4/V4 'hip' in the instances tab, then drag and drop the pose into the scene making sure it's inside the little 'box' and it will ask me if I want to turn of limits for this pose (regardless of whether the pose is actually outside the limits or not, it always seems to give this prompt) I click 'yes' and pose works for me everytime.

I do it this way because I have some poses that didn't work otherwise, so it's just my default way of posing. Hope it helps :)

This is the age old Carrara dilemma! Limits on or limits off! Everybody is different! ;-)

If I'm going to save my character to the browser, then it is limits on all the time. If the figure is already loaded from the browser, or I feel it's one time deal, then I'll try it with the limits on, but if it doesn't look correct, I select undo and reload the pose with limits off.

Leaving limits on can make the pose a little off in some cases, but it can prevent the dreaded shoulder collapse. Plus if you save a figure where limits are off, it is retained in the file and can cause serious figure distortions when loaded into a new scene. Going by my personal experience, using the limits toggle in the assembly room will no longer have an effect on the figure's limits.