re-install Carrara 8.5Pro, which database not supposed to install?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
edited August 2014 in Carrara Discussion

In the process of reinstalling my Daz related stuff on anew computer. Have installed Carrara 8.5 Pro and Daz Studio. There is some database associated with the most recent Daz Studio version that I'm not supposed to install with Carrara. Which is it? If I have already inadvertently installed this database, will simply uninstalling it fix whatever problem it is supposed to cause? I am using the DIM with the defaults for almost everything.

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Sounds like Valentina based on this FAQ:
    https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/45231914-PostgreSQL-FAQ

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

Sounds like Valentina based on this FAQ:
    https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/45231914-PostgreSQL-FAQ

Thanks, yes. That was the thread I needed.

Crap, all the download data I have done so far has not been added to the Valentina thing. Hopefully, after I uninstall the wrong database, I can try to reload metadata in the correct one, rather than re-download everything again.

edited December 1969

I'm afraid that I can't help much beyond my link for ancient computer and Carrara reasons.

edited December 1969

Appreciate your quick reply. Given that you don't use this version, your help is above and beyond the call of duty, as usual.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    edited December 1969

So Diomede... you actually find the Smart tab better than the legacy Content tab?
    Why?
    (Not a sarcastic question... just wanting to know, as it felt slow and cumbersome the couple times I went in to "have a look", so now I just avoid it)

I didn't realize that we would need to reinstall content metadata after switching databases.
    Just an FYI, Valentina is totally separate from the Carrara install. So you can perform a total uninstall/reinstall of Carrara 8.5 without phasing Valentina CMS in the least, I believe. But again... how would "I" really know?

If anyone can change my mind into using Smart Content, it would be 'you', Diomede64!

edited December 1969

So Diomede... you actually find the Smart tab better than the legacy Content tab?
    Why?
    (Not a sarcastic question... just wanting to know, as it felt slow and cumbersome the couple times I went in to "have a look", so now I just avoid it)

I didn't realize that we would need to reinstall content metadata after switching databases.
    Just an FYI, Valentina is totally separate from the Carrara install. So you can perform a total uninstall/reinstall of Carrara 8.5 without phasing Valentina CMS in the least, I believe. But again... how would "I" really know?

If anyone can change my mind into using Smart Content, it would be 'you', Diomede64!

No intention to convince anyone to use smart content. In fact, I never do. I am just trying to do the cleanest default install / this is how Daz wants it set up / that I possibly can. That way, when they release Genesis 3, and require Carrara users to install some plugin to use it, my stuff is where Daz expects it to be. Probably a waste of time and effort.

I've already screwed something up. I have to re-enter the architools serial number every time I start Carrara. Don't know why the serial number isn't being saved.

But this is a piece of cake compared to trying to get Microsoft Office working without my old keycode. Where did I put that little case with the code on it? :(

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I have to re-enter the architools serial number every time I start Carrara. Don't know why the serial number isn't being saved.

Try running Carrara as Administrator for putting int he serial number, after that it should stick.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I have to re-enter the architools serial number every time I start Carrara. Don't know why the serial number isn't being saved.

Try running Carrara as Administrator for putting int he serial number, after that it should stick.

Hmmm. Tried it. Didn't work. Is there a save or something that I need to do?

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    diomede64 said:

Hmmm. Tried it. Didn't work. Is there a save or something that I need to do?

You on a PC or Mac?

edited December 1969

windows 8 pc, toshiba laptop 64 bit, carrara 8.5 pro, nvidia geforce graphics, intel core i7

edited August 2014

diomede64 said:
    windows 8 pc, toshiba laptop 64 bit, carrara 8.5 pro, nvidia geforce graphics, intel core i7

Can't help with permissions on that platform. I'm like a bad maid- I don't do Windows, and I look terrible in a dress.
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

No intention to convince anyone to use smart content. In fact, I never do. I am just trying to do the cleanest default install / this is how Daz wants it set up / that I possibly can. That way, when they release Genesis 3, and require Carrara users to install some plugin to use it, my stuff is where Daz expects it to be. Gotcha!
    That's where I have my workstation now.

I've already screwed something up. I have to re-enter the architools serial number every time I start Carrara. Don't know why the serial number isn't being saved.

I don't think you've messed up.
    When I bought the Advance Pack (collection of Inagoni Tools), I needed to download the latest versions of each from Inagoni's site. That fixes it.
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

I don't think you've messed up.
    When I bought the Advance Pack (collection of Inagoni Tools), I needed to download the latest versions of each from Inagoni's site. That fixes it.

OK, I'll see if the Inagoni site can get it straightened out. Thanks.

edited December 1969

My pleasure.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

that didn't work but Dart has a suggestion for updating the version on the publisher site that may work.

Now, aargh. - after letting the DIM choose its own defaults, it has filled my c: drive. How do I get the DIM to remove the content that has installed to the "ready to install" category and place it in the "ready to download" category, or move the content to another drive, such as D: ?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Now, aargh. - after letting the DIM choose its own defaults, it has filled my c: drive. How do I get the DIM to remove the content that has installed to the “ready to install” category and place it in the “ready to download” category, or move the content to another drive, such as D: ?

If you have the content uninstalled, (and it appears that you have since it is now in the 'Ready to Install ' tab?) all you have to do is add the new path that you want the content installed into in the DIM. You do NOT want to move it from the Ready to Install tab to the Ready to Download, since the items are already on your PC.

Inside DIM, click on the 'Gear' icon at the top right, and select the 'Installation' tab. You should see C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library under 'Recommended'. To add a new path, simply click on the '+' at the bottom left of the window, you will then get a small window which allows you to add a Label and below that, a standard windows way of entering a new path. The label is not that important, but call it something you will recognise.

Just make sure that the path is correct, and then click on Accept. Go to the main DIM window, and select the Ready to Install tab, click on 'Show Details' at the bottom, and select your new path from the drop-down list under Content Path Shortcuts.

It seems like a lot of work, but you only have to do that once. See if that helps.
    edited December 1969

Now, aargh. - after letting the DIM choose its own defaults, it has filled my c: drive. How do I get the DIM to remove the content that has installed to the “ready to install” category and place it in the “ready to download” category, or move the content to another drive, such as D: ?

If you have the content uninstalled, (and it appears that you have since it is now in the 'Ready to Install ' tab?) all you have to do is add the new path that you want the content installed into in the DIM. You do NOT want to move it from the Ready to Install tab to the Ready to Download, since the items are already on your PC.

Inside DIM, click on the 'Gear' icon at the top right, and select the 'Installation' tab. You should see C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library under 'Recommended'. To add a new path, simply click on the '+' at the bottom left of the window, you will then get a small window which allows you to add a Label and below that, a standard windows way of entering a new path. The label is not that important, but call it something you will recognise.

Just make sure that the path is correct, and then click on Accept. Go to the main DIM window, and select the Ready to Install tab, click on 'Show Details' at the bottom, and select your new path from the drop-down list under Content Path Shortcuts.

It seems like a lot of work, but you only have to do that once. See if that helps.

Thanks - that seems to be working

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971
    edited December 1969

OK ... I have a question that I know has come up before, but can't find.

If I want to use DS 4.6 to load up a figure, eg as some of you do with Genesis 2 as some say that works better, and then export them to over Carrara, will the old Valentina DB work still in DS?

I ask because for the first time ever I bought an artist's V5 character from DAZ and used DIM. (Yes it's not a G2 but I liked her face) and I tried setting her up in DS but can't find her character, it's not showing in the content. The DAZ created ones do, like Kori...but no Kostia. Is this a DB issue?

Back in Carrara....I can find her bits in Content (not Smart Content), I have to load a V5 first. But then I can only apply Kostia's skin textures and the body shape does change if I drag that inj icon onto her, but I am not sure if it's changing correctly as her waist looks impossibly small and her chest massive! I don't notice any change to her face shape which I think needs to happen as the lips are different that standard V5 lips.

http://www.daz3d.com/kostia-for-v5

Any advice appreciated. I am really not very good with DS, so perhaps I am missing something that isn't DB related. Am thinking I need to manually adjust her face in Carrara to get it to look like the artist's render.

xx :) Silene

edited December 1969

First of all, the Valentina DB will still work in DAZ Studio, assuming that you haven't removed it by opting to install PostgreSQL. If you load DAZ Studio, then look in the Task Manager, you should see CMS running as a process. If you see several versions of postfresql.exe running, then you have the new PostgreSQL DB installed, and that will NOT work with Carrara at present.

I don't have the Kostia figure myself, so I can't really check, but on the Product Page, one of the required products is the Genesis Evolution Body Morphs http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-evolution-body-morphs Do you have this installed too?

Kostia is in DUF format (DAZ Native Format) and it should work inside Carrara 8.5 straight from the Content Library (or Smart Content)

If you used DIM to install Kostia, you can load up DIM, go to the Installed tab, right click on Kostia, and choose 'Show Installed Files'. That will show you what has been installed, and where.

edited December 1969

Silene, check to see if the character has some default morphs dialed. What I mean is that when I have saved genesis characters that I created in studio for use in Carrara, sometimes there is an extra default morph set to 1. I can't give you an example right now because I am reloading everything, but I can definitely remember some examples where I saved a genesis character from studio that I did not dial any (James 5?) in Studio, but when I loaded it from My Library / Preset / Character in Carrara, the (James 5?) was set to 1. I manually dialed the (James 5?) back to zero and the character was the same as in Studio, which I then saved in Carrara's browser.

worth a check. see if one of the primary Genesis figures morph is set to 1. That could account for the exaggerated waist etc. if V5 is also set to 1 when you didn't intend it.

edited August 2014

Thanks Both!

Jimmy, I do have the Genesis Evolution Body Morphs... checked that first! I can find her files in My DAZ Library by doing a search...they are all there. But I will do the search the way you suggest just in case. I specifically avoided downloading Post-Gre...it sits there in my uninstalled hidden files....wish I could totally delete it.

Dio... I don't see the dials in Carrara. EG if I select parameters on Actor, and go through my HUGE list... no Kostia. I have lots of other ladies, but not her. I will drag the Inj icon over her and see what the dials say. Might take a while.

I can live without the body changes, I can change the skin textures manually in the shading process by swapping texture files from V5's Lana default to Kostia's as I can easily find that source file in Runtime Textures. But am not getting the face structure, which is what I was really after.

Perhaps I should uninstall her and install her manually???

Thanks for the fast help... I need this lady sooner rather than later and if she won't work up, will have to find something else. But hate abandoning something I paid regular price for.

xx Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

Silene, another long shot would be to se if you have Stephanie 5 loaded correctly. The product page says Kostia is a character for Stephanie 5, so maybe that has something to do with it.

OK, still letting DIM do its default thing. It says it has installed the amazing carrara landscape Country Lane 2, to the scene tab. Nope. Good news, though, it did install Dart's environment pack under the landscape folder. You can see the little triangle.

5_country_lane_install.JPG
    1460 x 900 - 202K
    edited December 1969

Dio, it says Aiko 5, not Stephanie... is that my problem, my product description is saying Aiko and you see Stephanie????? Yikes!

In DS, I only seem to have Smart Content Library. The regular Content Library seems to be empty. When did that happen? I am not running PostGre at all...double checked. I am doing a search as I right clicked on Content Libary and asked it to search for content. But I don't know how to populate the regulat Content Library again. I had it full before... back in the autumn I think I last looked.

Weird!

xx Silene

edited December 1969

no, no, my mistake. you are right. it is a character for v5 and a5 and genesis evolution body morphs. sorry

edited August 2014

diomede64 said:
    no, no, my mistake. you are right. it is a character for v5 and a5 and genesis evolution body morphs. sorry

Darn...... I wish I knew how to populate the DS Content Directory. And just to reiterate, Kostia is not showing up in DS Smart Content. Want to see screengrabs? I seem to have a lot of DAZ Smart Content....wonder why they deserted the regular Content Library....

Going through list in Carrara to see if any dials are set.

DS_Library.png
    1908 x 939 - 340K
    edited December 1969

But I don’t know how to populate the regulat Content Library again. I had it full before… back in the autumn I think I last looked.

In DAZ Studio, go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager.

Make sure that you have the correct path for your content library (C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library by default) entered as BOTH a DAZ Studio Formats AND a Poser Formats directory. That should populate the Content Library pane, it does no use the DB at all.

While you are in DAZ Studio, go to the drop-down menu at the top right of the Content Library pane, and choose Content DB Maintenance, then select 'Re-import Metadata', that might fix Smart Content for both DS and Carrara.
    edited August 2014

OK, still letting DIM do its default thing. It says it has installed the amazing carrara landscape Country Lane 2, to the scene tab. Nope. Good news, though, it did install Dart’s environment pack under the landscape folder. You can see the little triangle.

@diomede64

If uyou installed Country Lane 2 using the DIM, then do as I suggested to SileneUK earlier. Load DIM, go to the Installed tab, right click on Country Lane 2, and select Show Installed Files. That will show you where everything was put, and these are also clickable links too.

EDIT:

My 'Country Lane' by the same PA is in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Carrara8.5\Scenes\Country Lane. Probably not a good place to install user content.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited August 2014

JimmyC - thanks for your patience. If you check my post above (22), you will see that I have included a screenshot of where DIM says it installed the product, which is in the "scenes" folder, but I have included in the screenshot a depiction of my scenes folder - and it is not there. It turns out that the DIM created a second scenes folder, still within the same general folder structure as C85, but not in the program's scenes browser. Instead, DIM has created other folders for more objects and shaders and plants, etc within the C8.5 program folders and installed some presets there. Not only do I have to go back and add these folders, but for the "objects" an "shaders", Carrara makes me choose which kind they are, and not all are the same kind (eg. objects might have generic objects and plants), so I have to add each subfolder separately.

Mind you, this is all letting the DIM use its default as much as possible. The Dim installed Carrara. Why can't the DIM install Carrara content in a way that Carrara's browser recognizes? But I digress.

I found that scene. I hope I find them all, and correctly add their elements to my browser.

Edit: Just saw your edit. I agree. :>

Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,093
    edited December 1969

CMS has stopped running for the umpteenth time and I had to reinstall DIM too
    so of course no smart content in Studio or carrara AGAIN
    sick of reinstalling studio then redoing ALL my plugins
    only fix I can find no database management works
    carrara seems to import the duf files ok still so just living with it for now

edited August 2014

Jimmy, I did it... thought it would solve all, but nothing changed. Still empty Content Library and no Kostia in Smart Content. I go into the actual folders in My DAZ 3D Library and the Kostia files are there. They have a similar format as Gabi which I have had for a long time...think it was part of an original bundle.

I did notice that like Gabi V5, Kostia does not have a plain character duf file eg a GabiV5.duf or a KostiaV5.duf. Only file in Gabi eg is !Gabi for V5.duf Same for Kostia.

Have one more thing to try..... as I was able to transfer files ONE AT A TIME if I click on in the Smart Content it asks if I want it to show in Content Library. Weird!

Might go to DIM and uninstall Kostia again and see what happens.

I have double checked my paths... they agree... well I wouldn't have the Smart Content in DS if it didn't...and I get stuff to bring into Carrara with no problem.

Any ideas???? Will be back. OH...oddly I bought Aiko 5 at the same time and she installed beautifully. (Except doesn't show in Content Library as before). But is there in Smart Content in DS and in Carrara.

xx Silene