Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited August 2015

Here's a WIP... rendered the Howie Farkes "Byodo In" set with reworked lighting and desaturated building shaders, going for an older-wood building look. 

The figure was composited and rendered using the same lighting.  I actually had 2 figures there but wasn't happy with the 2nd one, so here's the WIP

Byodo 11 DarkHair.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 479K
    Post edited by Dondec on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited August 2015
    Made this one last week. Wanted to see if I could do a couple interacting with each other without it looking completely off. I think I did alright.
    The-Embrace-PW02.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    Dondec said:

Here's a WIP... rendered the Howie Farkes "Byodo In" set with reworked lighting and desaturated building shaders, going for an older-wood building look. 

The figure was composited and rendered using the same lighting.  I actually had 2 figures there but wasn't happy with the 2nd one, so here's the WIP

Looks really good Don.

edited August 2015

You got a nice tender vib going there EP. 

You know, setting up a scene with 2 figures is a lot harder than I thought.  Stuff I never thought about can go wrong, like one figure's appearance can look way better than the other (!!), clothing styles or outfit colors conflict, awkward posing, skin tone and lighting related issues.  Overall you're doing way better than me at this.  I'm about to give up adding a 2nd figure to mine and rethink the thing.  Haphazard planning def didn't work.  smiley

- Don

Here's the last one for this scene... I tweaked the lighting on the figure, making it sorta look like a photographers bounce light rig lighting up the face and bringing out the colors better.  The previous one looks more natural to me, like an impromptu photo, whereas this one pops a bit more.  I guess I like this one best.

Byodo 11 Test no Temple COMP.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 469K
    Post edited by Dondec on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 8,010
    Made this one last week. Wanted to see if I could do a couple interacting with each other without it looking completely off. I think I did alright.

Hope he gives the right answer to her question..... surprise

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,227

playing around with the "uncharted" carrara engine

18.jpg
    2400 x 1920 - 686K
    20.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 465K
    26.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 598K
    Dondec said:

You got a nice tender vib going there EP. 

You know, setting up a scene with 2 figures is a lot harder than I thought.  Stuff I never thought about can go wrong, like one figure's appearance can look way better than the other (!!), clothing styles or outfit colors conflict, awkward posing, skin tone and lighting related issues.  Overall you're doing way better than me at this.  I'm about to give up adding a 2nd figure to mine and rethink the thing.  Haphazard planning def didn't work.  smiley

- Don

Here's the last one for this scene... I tweaked the lighting on the figure, making it sorta look like a photographers bounce light rig lighting up the face and bringing out the colors better.  The previous one looks more natural to me, like an impromptu photo, whereas this one pops a bit more.  I guess I like this one best.

That one looks very nice as well.

What do you want the figures to do?

What I did with mine, was get the figures in a very general pose, such as having the hands in the general vicinity of where I want them to be when I finished. I then parented target helper objects to the arms of both figures and then had the hands of the opposite figure IK track them. So, basically, I had targets parented to the upper arms of the male figure, and had the hands of the female figure track those. The targets parented to the female's body had the male's hands tracking them. I also had targets for the feet of each figure to track to keep them locked in place.

When you have the limbs IK track target helpers (or any object for that matter), you can manipulate and translate any bone in the rig, including the hip, and the hands and feet will stay where they're put (within the limits of the joint constraints). So, for the female figure, I wanted her to look like she was leaning into the male a bit, so with the feet and hands locked down, I could tilt the hip forward and slightly to the side. I then leaned the chest and abdomen back and twisted them slightly. The hands kept their positions on the male's arms, and when was done posing both figures, I worked on fine tuning the hand poses.

I also feel that using targets and IK tracking can add the illusion of weight or strain to the figures, as tilting and twisting the rig can stretch an arm or leg or push it back in more natural looking way than if you had just rotated a joint. I like this image because I used target helpers and IK tracking on V4's hands and feet and pulled them down, giving a better sense of weight to her being unconscious and draped over the shoulder of the troll.

Captured.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 594K

EP... thx for the tips, and yeah cool render.  I'll have to play around with the target helpers, seems versatile. 

My problems started when I tried to add a very dark skinned Indian figure into that back lit scene.  She was just hard to see, and didn't work well with the other.  Given her skin shade I needed dark hair too, lighter ones didn't seem right, and this only contributed to the issue.  Adding accent spots helped but overall starting with more compatible skin tone seemed best.  Lot of work just to come to that conclusion frown

- Don

Awesome lighting magaremoto, are those HDRI lit?  Whats the uncharted thing?

- Don

Hi Don, yeah, lighting darker skin can be a challenge in the real photographic world as well, from what I've read. Not so much an issue here at the moment, as it is fairly monochromatic in my neck of the woods. Fortunately, with each passing year here, there is a bit more diversity. Some minds with smaller ideas seem to get freaked out by it, by I welcome the diversity in perspectives and culture.
    Dondec said:

Awesome lighting magaremoto, are those HDRI lit?  Whats the uncharted thing?

- Don

Hello Dondec, no hdr only fake similarity by using a cloud dome; the uncharted thing is about how to mix the pletora of tools you can use to achieve realism, like in your nice posted image, there's a lot to find out indeed; look at these renders: a couple of weird uncertainties to be touched up easily, nevertheless realistic general lighting imo, not so different from the mainstream engines, achieved with a sun, an emitting plane and a cloud dome and only normalized in post

47.jpg
    2000 x 1112 - 243K
    51.jpg
    2000 x 1112 - 261K
    edited September 2015

Hi Magaremoto, thx for the reply.  There's a bit of grain in the B/W renders, though the lighting is indeed very good.  Are you using GI with Full Indirect?  I've had very good luck using a hemi, or in the case of a room, a grid of very low intensity (very dark color) bulb lights, set to 100% hard shadows (Scene Ambience 0%).  Not sure why but it often cleans up the grain and GI Full Indirect sampling artifacts while contributing naturally created AO.

- Don

Post edited by Dondec on
    edited September 2015

Hi Don sorry for the delay, no more notifications in my mailbox; bulb set to white should be a good idea for interiors I'll give it a try thanks; in the meanwhile this is what I get with the previous light set, if only carrara had PBR shaders we would gain in more dynamic outputs imo; and if it had embree as well even in rendering speed, setting up light quality to excellent to avoid grain issues.

ps you are right, full GI set to 300 and sky light to 100

image normalized in post

Doc2.jpg
    1200 x 667 - 101K
    Post edited by magaremoto on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited September 2015

Just playing about with some lights  . . .

SoL1.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 275K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

delightfull yes

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    bigh said:

delightfull yes

I thought it was Carrara, not 3Delight 

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

chick pic

chick_pic.jpg
    1500 x 800 - 110K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    3DAGE said:

chick pic

cool work smiley

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,010

dippy eggs ... yum yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135

Love the yolk.

• I agree. The raw egg is, ummmmm, eggcellent! The little bubble is particularly nice, and adds a realism due to the added imperfection or maybe randomness of its appearance.

Something is not quite right on the broken shells though. There is something either about the thickness or the shader that looks off to me. It could be a lack of translucency or SSS maybe? Perhaps no indication of the interior membrane, which doesn't look quite as shiny/wet.

I'd say you are better than 95% there, maybe even closer to 98%, but ignoring the chick, there is still that uncanny valley thing going on with the shells for me.

edited September 2015

Thanks all :)

EP :)  you're right, the shell is tricky with multiple layers and transparency etc,.. I think it's also just too thick and not detailed enough on the edges to convince/fool the viewer,

the chick was an after thought, now slightly reworked.

I'm thinking softbody for the membrane may work.

Outside chick.jpg
    1500 x 800 - 247K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on

reworked final,. I think :)

Chick update1.jpg
    1500 x 800 - 96K
  • That inside shell looks much more realistic.
  • cute but bit disturbing when you think about it Andy devil

OK the eggs might be unfertilised so chicken feed too

or

the siblings that ended up breakfast broken heart

love the fluffy chick

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited September 2015

my full music video

the shorter embeddable vimeo version

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • cute but bit disturbing when you think about it Andy devil

OK the eggs might be unfertilised so chicken feed too

or

the siblings that ended up breakfast broken heart

love the fluffy chick

All of our chicken's eggs are fertilized, although, not all are viable. No real way for me to know that until they are sat on by a broody hen or placed in an incubator. Even then it will be 21 days before I know if they will hatch.

Certain religions forbid eating fertilized eggs- I think maybe the Jews if they follow a Kosher diet for example. Not sure what other ones may forbid it.

• I was only thinking of the chick eating them cheeky

• They'll do that to.
    edited September 2015

indirect light and skin this time

3Dage, cool image as always

3.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 448K
    Post edited by magaremoto on
This discussion has been closed.