Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited April 2015

Jonstark said:
    5th element, I really like your style; it's very distinctive and visually catchy. Nice renders, all of them.

Thanks Jon, I really appreciate it :)

Here is one where I decided to keep the colors in (i prefer B&W most of the time, lol).

Tree made quickly in TreeSketch on Ipad and girl is a standard model from MakeHuman.

Some postwork done in Fusion :)

KiteFinal.jpg
    1680 x 810 - 343K
    Post edited by FifthElement on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I redid the first one :)

BluebellWoods3.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 2M
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

Tim, these look amazing. I love the way you've lit these scenes. Everything looks nearly photo perfect. Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

Love your renders, Tim. Are your trees vertex models that you put together, or are they a result of the plant editor? Either way, great job.

edited December 1969

Thanks Rashad. There's no easy way to set the lighting other than trial and error. Obviously the dappled shade comes from the trees themselves, but a slight change to the position of the sun causes large changes to the shadows. Even mini-renders take time with this amount of foliage!

Diomede, these are Plant Editor trees (the whip-tentacle branches are a bit of a giveaway, since it's incapable of any other kind of irregularity, as far as I've been able to tell). I have custom photo bark and polygon leaves traced from actual examples. I built 3 tree models - English Oak, Sweet Chestnut and Rowan, getting them as close as I could to local woodland trees. The oak is 60ft tall, the chestnut 50ft and the rowan 30ft. I spun the dials for several variants of each so they don't all look the same. I did convert the oak at full resolution to a vertex model, it took about 90 minutes to convert, and the result was over 2 million polys! (actually I rebooted the first time, cos I thought it had hung!)

I've just got photo references for hawthorn, blackthorn (it's May Blossom time!!) and horse chestnut trees, but I'll probably keep those for my next project ;)

edited December 1969

Here's a screenshot of the 3D view for the last render. Literally the only thing in the scene that's not replicated is the fence (& the sections of that are duplicated, although there are 3 models so it doesn't look too obvious)

Screen_Shot_2015-04-29_at_21.14_.11_.png
    1671 x 1118 - 914K
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 841
    edited December 1969

Since I already posted my WIP here, I hope no-one minds a glimpse of further progress.

It's my vehicle being made in Hexagon. After a lapse I've returned to it and these images show a few details with other bits missing or mixed up.

The eventual aim is to texture/rig it here in Carrara and see if I can make a short clip. I have a number of scenes in mind for rendering but (even though this is a WW2 vehicle) I don't want to get into anything insensitive given the number of conflicts the world over. The military subject was chosen because such vehicles are blocky in shape and lend themselves to box modelling!

I am hoping to learn enough to go on and create some imaginary vehicles that might have a place in DAZ renders.

Roygee has been helping me in the Hexagon forum.

TankDetails3.jpg
    1004 x 602 - 34K
    TankDetails2.jpg
    1004 x 602 - 44K
    TankDetails.jpg
    1004 x 602 - 38K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Really nice work so far.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    edited April 2015

Yeah... nice model, Mark!
    FYI (but you probably already know): Sparrowhawke 3D has a FREE Tracks and Chains plugin for Carrara! ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Evilproducer & Dartanbeck,

I posted this in the hope that people like to see works in progress but, looking again at these latest pictures above, much has gone missing. A lot of the bits and pieces shown earlier have been made invisible for the time being.

I find that if I improve one part by refining details then the next part looks shabby and needs to be worked on too so I'm going round the model making slight adjustments. In the meantime I've put off creating most of the mechanical stuff underneath. One long, determined session might see most of that done, I hope.

I'm not in any way dismissive of Carrara's VM room, it's just that I made some early progress with Hexagon before using Carrara much and this is an effort to improve on what I've done before. That said, I'm only using the most basic tools on a multitude of cubes and cylinders with a few spheres as starting points.

I'm hoping that the effort to refine details will leave me with a bunch of parts that could be put into the Carrara browser for re-use - suspension leaf-springs, headlamps & such. Some things are much the same from one vehicle to another.

Thanks for the link, Dartanbeck - I might need those treads in another project!

And I hope if I show this again it will belong more in the render thread!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,010
    edited December 1969

as the rain comes tumbling down it's great just to go back through the thread and catchup with all the great renders and drawings..

and

loving it :-)

edited December 1969

I second that Stezza. It's one of my sins that I see so much great stuff, learn from it and then move on without comment.

Made worse by going on at length about my own stuff.

Sorry guys - I love seeing everyone's work and no comment doesn't mean no appreciation - just lack of time ....

The posters here are some of the finest people I've never met.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    as the rain comes tumbling down it's great just to go back through the thread and catchup with all the great renders and drawings..

and

loving it :-)

yes, it's all drizzle - the weather not the work! :)

edited December 1969

Since I already posted my WIP here, I hope no-one minds a glimpse of further progress.

It's my vehicle being made in Hexagon. After a lapse I've returned to it and these images show a few details with other bits missing or mixed up.

The eventual aim is to texture/rig it here in Carrara and see if I can make a short clip. I have a number of scenes in mind for rendering but (even though this is a WW2 vehicle) I don't want to get into anything insensitive given the number of conflicts the world over. The military subject was chosen because such vehicles are blocky in shape and lend themselves to box modelling!

I am hoping to learn enough to go on and create some imaginary vehicles that might have a place in DAZ renders.

Roygee has been helping me in the Hexagon forum.

wonderful!

edited May 2015

ah double post

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

A humble attempt to add rain, clouds and ground fog to Carrara render :)

Rain.jpg
    1720 x 860 - 352K
    edited December 1969

All postwork done in Fusion, for those interested to see original render, here it is ...

RainUnprocessed.jpg
    1555 x 668 - 277K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    edited December 1969

All postwork done in Fusion, for those interested to see original render, here it is ...
    Very nice bit of post work. Looks great!
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

I think you get the prize for your depiction of the headlights on the car... :)

It's the prize for "Subtle Depiction of Rays from an Automobile Headlight"....

People generally tend to go WAY overboard when they use the light ray feature of 3D apps. And as a result it tends to look very CG-ish. But your rays are very well done. Subtle and appropriate to the environment. Bravo.

I'd also suggest you might re-think the lighting on the automobile. It's the first thing that hit me when I looked at the image. It appears totally black, while the other surfaces in the image have at least a subtle level of ambient light. And the reflections in the upper windows suggest that the sky, while dark, still has a bit of moonlight (or sunlight) lighting the clouds and providing ambient.

In any case, when stuff in your image is almost totally black it's generally a reason for the artist (or photographer) to think about changing lighting. Fully black or white areas are often avoided, and considered a lost opportunity to show some interesting stuff. Same thing applies to the streetlights. Fully white stuff generally draws the viewers' eyes, and in this case might distract from the main subject (the chick). :) :)

edited December 1969

Very nice bit of post work. Looks great!

the cat makes it for me :) subplot

edited December 1969

...I'd also suggest you might re-think the lighting on the automobile. It's the first thing that hit me when I looked at the image. It appears totally black, while the other surfaces in the image have at least a subtle level of ambient light. And the reflections in the upper windows suggest that the sky, while dark, still has a bit of moonlight (or sunlight) lighting the clouds and providing ambient...

Thanks for the feedback Joe, and thanks for your comments ya all.

I graded image with CineonLog node in attempt to give it Film Noir feeling, have no idea how successful that was, I kinda liked it, lol ...

Here is somewhat different render with car unaffected by this node, some of the details from original are visible now :)

Screenshot from Fusion follows as well ...

RainFusion.jpg
    1555 x 875 - 281K
    RainFinal.jpg
    1700 x 800 - 302K
    edited December 1969

Gorgeous image. And the cat seems to have found the only dry spot ;)

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

...I'd also suggest you might re-think the lighting on the automobile. It's the first thing that hit me when I looked at the image. It appears totally black, while the other surfaces in the image have at least a subtle level of ambient light. And the reflections in the upper windows suggest that the sky, while dark, still has a bit of moonlight (or sunlight) lighting the clouds and providing ambient...

Thanks for the feedback Joe, and thanks for your comments ya all.

I graded image with CineonLog node in attempt to give it Film Noir feeling, have no idea how successful that was, I kinda liked it, lol ...

Here is somewhat different render with car unaffected by this node, some of the details from original are visible now :)

Screenshot from Fusion follows as well ...

Post work aside, you've also got a nice composition there, and yes you do well with the film noir feel. Thanks for sharing.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Gorgeous image. And the cat seems to have found the only dry spot ;)

I think the extra detail on the car helps and you still keep the excellent noire look to the picture. Great job!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

With Summer fast approaching, I'm just trying to work through my fear of bees. :)

Beekini
    Carrara 8.5 render.

Beekini_Final.jpg
    1065 x 1800 - 179K
    edited December 1969

Been a bit quiet this week, so I thought I'd update you with progress on the conversion. These are all rendered in "that other Daz product", you know, the one they have to give away . . . ;)

DS_Obs1a.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 649K
    DS_SunRoom4.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 893K
    DS_Down6.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 665K
    DS_Pond1.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    DS_Tower.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1014K
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    With Summer fast approaching, I'm just trying to work through my fear of bees. :)

Beekini
    Carrara 8.5 render.

Arrgh! Now you've made me discover my hitherto unknown fear of bees, if they can be so specific in their area of focus....they MUST be feared! How can she still be smiling comfortably while wearing a beekini????

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:

Beekini
    Carrara 8.5 render.

Arrgh! Now you've made me discover my hitherto unknown fear of bees, if they can be so specific in their area of focus....they MUST be feared! How can she still be smiling comfortably while wearing a beekini????
    she is a honey

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Been a bit quiet this week, so I thought I'd update you with progress on the conversion. These are all rendered in "that other Daz product", you know, the one they have to give away . . . ;)

that looks really nice for DAZ studio.
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

that looks really nice for DAZ studio.

I should have mentioned - the two outdoor renders, one is using vertex trees, the other is using placards.

This discussion has been closed.