Create a morph for genesis - does not work 4 me!

monsymonsy Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi!

I export a genesis (base) to OBJ with Daz Studio 4 (DS4) and also a morphed genesis (basic woman) (not welded).

If I import directly (to DS4) without modifying the OBJ meshes, all is GOOD!

I want to open the OBJ in Maya 2013 or Hexagon to make a full body morph, modifying the eyes, face, feet etc.

To test the process I opened one OBJ in the modeler software and exported it to OBJ (without modifying the graphics).

The Daz Studio 4 Morph Loader Pro can NOT import them! (gives WARNING! NOT LOADED...)

WHY?

Is it my export settings from DS4?

Is it my export settings from Maya / Hexagon. Probably. Maya makes approx 500 small meshes out of the OBJ from DS4, makes no sence. I just select them all and export selection as an OBJ (not good!). Hexagon makes apprx 50 groups (toe, eye, etc) and they make sence. I export to OBJ and use default export settings (not good!).

I just want to make a full body morph, changing anything I like, the eyes, the face, the feet, etc, and make my own character based on Genesis.

Help?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,566
    edited December 1969

You can Send to Hexagon from the DS File menu, which should remove some potential errors. However, it does sound as if the import/export settings or the processes you are going through in the modeller are changing the vertex count - are the OBJ files exported from the modeller roughly the same size as the ones from DS? Is the vertex count just before you export from the modeller 19296?

• monsymonsy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi,

Thank you!

Number of poly is 19296. The polycount should be OK.

In my work process I am doing something wrong.

If I dont do any changes to the mesh in Maya and just import OBJ and then export OBJ, all is well!

If I "Separate the mesh" into mesh groups and then "combine" them again, and then export to DS4, it will not work.

DS4 will import the OBJ (it is 19296 poly) but when I try the slider to morph, the mesh moves in all directions at the same time!

I think maybe my vertex order gets changed when I do "Separate/Combine" in maya. But I find no other way to get the genisis into parts so that I can create morphs on the eyes, etc.

I am trying to export from DS4 with "Write groups" option so that I dont need to do the separate command in Maya to reach the "eye meshes" as separate objects. But if the OBJ comes into Maya as many meshes, I cant seem to export it back nomatter what! (Just get the Warning that the morph was not loaded). I will try again and pay attention to the polycount! I hope that will work. Any advice here?

BR
    Mans

• monsymonsy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Solution=Change the OBJ import setting in Maya to "Single Object"

Maya 2013 default import settings for OBJ files, "Create Multiple Objects", cant be used when modeling Daz Studio 4.0 Morphs.

With this setting, the vertex order is changed when importing to Maya. When trying to export to DS4 (Daz Studio 4), the morph result is unpredictable / corrupt.

Solution: Change the import setting in Maya to "Single Object"

With this setting, the OBJ is imported to one mesh with the correct vertex order. Exporting to DS4 gived the expected result.

By the way. Dont forget to set the resolution of the Genesis mesh to "Base" and zero out the figure in the "Parameter" menu. This way the number of vertex in the OBJ will be 19296. Fail to do this and the OBJ will not be imported by the Morph Loader Pro.

Thank you for your help Administrator!

BR
    Mans

• edited December 1969

Yes, It's the same for Blender. It's called "Keep Vertex Order" .. way down at the bottom. If you move the joints, you'll have to adjust them back in DS4, so try to leave the elbows and knees in their places. Another good app for Genesis morphs is Sculptris.

• edited December 1969

Hi, What are the setting you are using to export the .obj from maya, before then importing in daz? Thanks.