Carrara Challenge X - “Past hopes and present nostalgia”. Voting thread is closed

Comments

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Votes were combined from both entries.

I do not want to discuss the rules, but it would be more normal to separate the points by entries to not disadvantage those which have only one of them…

I don't think it matters. No one voted for my first entry and I think EP only submitted one image.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,011
    edited December 1969

well done to #1: Evilproducer and #3: kashyyyk .. great entries and participation by all..

I knew that thingy would do it for you EP ;-)

Just my 2 bobs worth but I agree with dudu on one entry for votes... it even gives more time to work on the one entry to make it that extra special..

Challenge suggestion:
    Seven Ancient Wonders of the World
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Wonders_of_the_Ancient_World

Puts your building, plant, DAZ products skills to the test by picking one of them and letting your imagination go :-)

Well done again everyone and good luck EP on your choice of the next challenge.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

wow, congrats everyone :)

beautiful job by all of course,

and to Howie Farkes, very kind of you to sponsor, thank you.

looking forward to EP's holding the reigns :)

my suggestion ?

carrara plugins - not all need to be purchased, see sparrowhawke's excellent free ones as well

i like stezza's suggestion as well

cheese

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Gosh, I blinked and missed the vote (my fault for not paying attention, and getting busy with other things). Still, it would not have materially changed the outcome!

Congrats everyone. :)

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:

I don't think it matters. No one voted for my first entry and I think EP only submitted one image.

I spoke for my case, because with 2 entries I make more points than with one,…
    On this subject, I wonder how the points are allotted (I did not read the rules).
    What I remarks, it's that EP as 11 votes and not 10, that Head Wax has 7 (ex-aequo) with Stezza.
    Does that want to say that all the votes are not taken into account ?

edited December 1969

Protest by Dudu..

I have to agree.. going back and doing the count I came up with:

1st - EP - 11
    2nd - Headwax - 7 ( tie breaker with 2 HMs )
    3rd - Stezza - 7

Looks like Philemo missed Headwax's count ;-)

edited July 2014

Not a protest, simple interrogation…
    Normally, I am not interested in that, but I had counted 11 votes for EP and he had only 10 in the classification.

Post edited by DUDU on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

I guess I should join in. I changed the voting rule when I coordinated the challenge. I suspect subsequent coordinators copied and pasted the rules. Coordinators should feel comfortable changing the voting rule back, or coming up with another voting rule (some challenges use a ranking method). Similarly, coordinators can limit the number of entries or allow multiple themes. Different voting rules might be better depending on what other features the challenge has.

I changed the voting rule from per image separately to adding the votes of both of an artist's renders for a couple of reasons. First, I had two themes and limited the number of entries to two. Thus, I wanted to encourage artists to submit an image for each theme. Second, the only reason I won the challenge that I won was because there were very few entries that month and people could not give two votes to the same artist - otherwise Varsel would have won (sorry, Varsel!). Third, if you check the voting threads for some of the early challenges you will find that some artists (such as EP) would essentially be competing against themselves because they would have votes split among two or more images but another artist would have only one image.

The voting rule that gives each artist a single vote total fit the two-themed challenge that I proposed. I encourage coordinators to match the voting rule to other features of their challenge.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited July 2014

Not a protest, simple interrogation…
    Normally, I am not interested in that, but I had counted 11 votes for EP and he had only 10 in the classification.

I'm afraid you're right :-( Thank you DUDU to point it out.
    I've included the detailed tally I've made, just to make sure. I've included the names of the voters in the tally for easier checking (I haven't done it in the first place, and it's why I didn't see my mistake).

It means that now, we have still EvilProducer as #1 with 11 votes and a tie up between Stezza, headwax and DUDU with 7 votes each.

If we apply the rules of the number of HM to break the tie, we have now:
    #1: EvilProducer 11 votes
    #2 DUDU 7 votes and 3 HM
    #3 HeadWax with 7 votes and 2 HM

I've never been much of an accountant and I'm prone to make mistakes, so PLEASE feel free to correct me if needed.

HowieFarkes gave me the honourable mentions but I'm afraid he will have to do it again because it's not relevant any more (intersection with the new count).

Results.png
    1754 x 1239 - 106K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Protest by Dudu..

I have to agree.. going back and doing the count I came up with:

1st - EP - 11
    2nd - Headwax - 7 ( tie breaker with 2 HMs )
    3rd - Stezza - 7

Looks like Philemo missed Headwax's count ;-)

I'm afraid we still disagree. I count 7 votes for DUDU (Diomede64 voted twice for him, one vote per entry which is authorized by the rules).

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I guess I should join in. I changed the voting rule when I coordinated the challenge. I suspect subsequent coordinators copied and pasted the rules.
    I think it's exactly what happened :-)

Coordinators should feel comfortable changing the voting rule back, or coming up with another voting rule (some challenges use a ranking method). Similarly, coordinators can limit the number of entries or allow multiple themes. Different voting rules might be better depending on what other features the challenge has. I changed the voting rule from per image separately to adding the votes of both of an artist's renders for a couple of reasons. First, I had two themes and limited the number of entries to two. Thus, I wanted to encourage artists to submit an image for each theme. Second, the only reason I won the challenge that I won was because there were very few entries that month and people could not give two votes to the same artist - otherwise Varsel would have won (sorry, Varsel!). Third, if you check the voting threads for some of the early challenges you will find that some artists (such as EP) would essentially be competing against themselves because they would have votes split among two or more images but another artist would have only one image. The voting rule that gives each artist a single vote total fit the two-themed challenge that I proposed. I encourage coordinators to match the voting rule to other features of their challenge.

Yes, you're right. We see now that this rule, without the two themes, may lead to frustration (or at least questioning).

edited December 1969

I am very sorry to have caused this seism… :red:
    Considering I am not interested at all by a price, I propose to leave my place to following winners. ;-)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Considering I am not interested at all by a price, I propose to leave my place to following winners. ;-)

I wouldn't worry about it DUDU. It's these amicable discussions that (hopefully) help improve the experience.

edited December 1969

I had to google seism lol

Congrats to the new placegetters..

Headwax and dudu great job ;-)

edited December 1969

I had to google seism lol

Congrats to the new placegetters..

Headwax and dudu great job ;-)

Stezza and Dudu, could you please come to an agreement so that we can proceed ?

edited December 1969

Hi Phil,
    As I wrote higher, I'm not interested by a price, moreover Stezza has to the most votes for only one image.
    It's with pleasure that I leave her the price… :-)

edited December 1969

Hi Phil,
    As I wrote higher, I'm not interested by a price, moreover Stezza has to the most votes for only one image.
    It's with pleasure that I leave her the price… :-)

Hi Dudu,

Yes I know that, but I feel that, somehow, Stezza has to accept it.

edited December 1969

Hey philemo and dudu..

I'm not a girl lol

anyways... dudu you got it fair and square, no probs with me in you getting the credit where credit is due.. enjoy your deserved prize ;-)

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Hey philemo and dudu..

I'm not a girl lol

anyways... dudu you got it fair and square, no probs with me in you getting the credit where credit is due.. enjoy your deserved prize ;-)

Hi, Stezza,
    Afflicted, I thought that you were a woman…
    Indeed, for the French-speaking person, this name seems to be for a woman…
    To be sincere, nothing interest me in the shop of DAZ, I would like much more a HM of HowieFarke !
    I dont change my opinion, you are second, sorry ! ;-)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,971
    edited December 1969

Congrats EP....

I knew City of Zed was going to win the moment I saw it coming together!

Well done everyone else....

OK ready for the next one!

xx :) Silene

edited December 1969

Thanks for all the kind words everybody!

All the entries were deserving!

edited December 1969

I've been pretty busy this week, so please forgive me if I've forgotten to thank DAZ 3D and Howie Farkes for their very generous support of this past challenge!

I would also like to thank Philemo for the wonderful job he did and for a great subject matter. I hope to do just as well!

Phil, don't feel obligated to get the Super Size fries, they can spare the bandwidth! ;-)

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions for the upcoming challenge. I can't use everything, and I don't want to be too narrow in scope, however I think I'm settling on a theme that is very inclusive, will highlight an aspect of Carrara that non-Carrara users will be amazed at and all you'll need is one of Carrara's cameras to do it.

I'll announce the challenge as soon as I nail down sponsorship.

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners!

EP, best of luck with running the new one! :)
    Also, once you do have a new challenge thread going, please post a link here, since most of us are already subscribed to this thread, and it would be great to get the heads up.

edited December 1969

Antara said:
    Congratulations to the winners!

EP, best of luck with running the new one! :)
    Also, once you do have a new challenge thread going, please post a link here, since most of us are already subscribed to this thread, and it would be great to get the heads up.

Absolutely!

I intend to promote it so much, you'd think it was a Real Housewife. Or would it have been in better taste to just say I was going to whore it around? ;-)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited December 1969

...and all you'll need is one of Carrara's cameras to do it.

you mean all we will need is this? Can't wait.

camcorder.JPG
    901 x 520 - 67K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    ...and all you'll need is one of Carrara's cameras to do it.

you mean all we will need is this? Can't wait.

:lol: :lol: Not quite what I had in mind, but if you had to re-scale it, there could be a hint in that....

edited December 1969

As I'm afraid Dudu and Stezza won't decide whoever is #2 :-), and as I believe it would be nice to go along (if only for the others who are awaiting their prize or those who want the next challenge to start), I think I will cut this Gordian knot with the sword of real numbers.

So the winners are:
    #1: EvilProducer 11 votes
    #2 DUDU 7 votes and 3 HM
    #3 HeadWax with 7 votes and 2 HM

Dudu, I'm sorry it didn't go your way.

I'll write to Howie asking for a new nomination for honourable mention.

edited December 1969

The chief has decided, we will not fight for that.
    Thank you Phil and thank you Mister Stezza ! :-)
    We wait for EP now...

edited December 1969

Hi to all,

Sorry for the delay in the answer. Access to the internet is not what I would like it to be.

HowieFarkes, our generous sponsor has spoken. The two honourable mentions go to Stezza and kashyyyk.

Congratulations to you both.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    edited December 1969

Yippee :) congrats you guys, it was a good challenge, I think everyone was close to being on an even playing field as far as the quality of the work was magnificent.