Clothing Object not selectable in viewport

TannimTannim Posts: 43

So, I have a shirt on G8F, and if I hover over it in the viewport it highlights the body like normal but if I rightclick it just shows objects for selecting G8's Highlighted

bodypart,.. IF I highlight a different piece of clothing I'm giving the option to select it or the bodypart, how do I unlock or or whatever to select that object

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,999

Look in the Scene pane and find the garment in the list of scene objects. Does it have a little x next to the arrow? The little x means "not selectable in viewport". Click on the x and change it to a checkmark. Checkmark means "selectable in viewport". Alternatively, select the garment in the Scene pane by clicking to highlight it. Open the Parameters pane and expand the Display section. There you will see an On/Off control for Selectable (in Viewport). If it is Off, toggle it to On. Does this solve your problem?

• TannimTannim Posts: 43

no :( both the little checkmark next to the Arrow, and the box for selectable in viewport are turned on,. its the only piece of clothing iin the scene that is NOT selectable in the viewport

I guess you'll need to be more specific about exactly what item you are having a problem with. If someone else owns it they can try to duplicate the problem and diagnose it. Have you tried selecting it with the surface selection tool? That often works well.
    edited June 2020

No I havnt, tried using the Surface Selection Tool,... the piece of clothing in question is dForce X-Fashion Print Sweater Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

Post edited by Tannim on

I don't own that product. I think your best bet is to try the Surface Selection tool. You can also submit a help request to ask customer service about the problem.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,533

Generally clothing auto-fitted to a figure isn't selectable in the viewport, as it allows quicker posing of the figure. If you click on the clothing thigh, then the character's thigh is selected so you can move it. This is the intended mode of operation for DS. The figure moves, and the clothes fit to the moved figure. Further posing of the clothing needs to be a deliberate action through the Scene hierarchy.

Probably not what you want to hear... Sorry.

edited June 2020

Generally clothing auto-fitted to a figure isn't selectable in the viewport, as it allows quicker posing of the figure. If you click on the clothing thigh, then the character's thigh is selected so you can move it. This is the intended mode of operation for DS. The figure moves, and the clothes fit to the moved figure. Further posing of the clothing needs to be a deliberate action through the Scene hierarchy.

Probably not what you want to hear... Sorry.

nope wasnt,.. but I found other ways around it,.. :( I just know w/ some clothes I can click on them in the viewport in a specific area and then slightly tweak its movement/position but I guess it depends on how its rigged anyways thanks

Post edited by Tannim on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,482

I have some items of dForce clothing created by Nirvy (other store). Although I am very happy with all of them, I am a little vexed by the fact that some (not all) are impossible to select in the Viewport (other than with Surface Selector) so, if I don't want to keep swapping my selection tool, I have to select in the Scene node tree. All that gets selected in the viewport is whatever is behind the garment. I've looked at the display properties and all is identical between those that can be selected and those that can't. Am I missing something? 

marble said:

I have some items of dForce clothing created by Nirvy (other store). Although I am very happy with all of them, I am a little vexed by the fact that some (not all) are impossible to select in the Viewport (other than with Surface Selector) so, if I don't want to keep swapping my selection tool, I have to select in the Scene node tree. All that gets selected in the viewport is whatever is behind the garment. I've looked at the display properties and all is identical between those that can be selected and those that can't. Am I missing something? 

yup you hit the nail on the head,.. that was the issue I was having,... still having I just found another way to deal and moved on never really solved it

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2020
    marble said:

Same issue with some items from different vendors. All seems very random. It's often only one piece of cloth out of a multi items bundle. Can't understand why either. 

I just bought yesterday The item called "collar" (SKU : 61253) by Miki3dx on renderotica. And it can't be selected at all without having to click on it in the Scene tab.

Same symptoms again... but still no idea why this is happening. And the answer I read here and there : "contact the vendor" is not an explanation as to why, in DAZ, some items cannot be selected in the viewport. 

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • skinklizzardskinklizzard Posts: 218
    edited September 2020

as mentioned, its intended behaviour and will depend on rigging, unless specific face groups have been created to select extra bones the standard operation is to select the bone of the underlying figure associated with that facegroup.

if you really wanted to you could probably edit the items with the geometry editor to reassign areas to new face groups such that it doesn't select bones

edit: doing so still won't allow you to select the clothing unless you assign the face group as a selection set to a bone not in the underlying figure, at least from my testing

Post edited by skinklizzard on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited December 2021

Solution provided thanks to ZarconDeeGrissom and Richard Haseltine

Scene Tab : Select an object's bone (Usually Hip at the root of the bones hierarchy)

Tool Settings Tab > Joint Editor Tool (Alt+Shift+J)

Tool Settings Tab > Change : Selection Group : "None" by any of the ones available.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,482

hansolocambo said:

Scene Tab : Select an object's bone (Usually Hip at the root of the bones hierarchy)

Tool Settings Tab > Change : Selection Group : "None" by any of the ones available.

I know this is an old thread but I just found it again and I tried the above solution but I don't know what it is supposed to do. 

I have a dress which is not selectable in the viewport. So I followed those instructions and the hip is indeed listed as "None" in the Selection Group. So I clicked on something else (Abdomen) and tried again - the dress is still not selectable and clicking on it still selects whatever is behind the dress.

• marble said:

hansolocambo said:

I know this is an old thread but I just found it again and I tried the above solution but I don't know what it is supposed to do. 

I have a dress which is not selectable in the viewport. So I followed those instructions and the hip is indeed listed as "None" in the Selection Group. So I clicked on something else (Abdomen) and tried again - the dress is still not selectable and clicking on it still selects whatever is behind the dress.

You have to select the corresponding face group. e.g: 'abdomen' bone should select 'Abdomen' face group.