Saving and loading stand-based hair?

SelekSelek Posts: 70

I've had fun using Daz's tools to create strand-based hair, but I don't understand how to save hair and put it on a different character.  I've tried saving it as a scene subset, and I can successfully merge it with a scene with a new Genesis 8 figure, and even tell it to 'fit to' the figure, but I can't get it on top of her head.  Likewise, I've tried saving it as an asset (a prop), and again I can merge it with a scene, but I can't seem even to translate it.

How does one save, export, and load strand-based hair?  Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but a search here and on Google didn't turn up a ready answer.  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ElliandraElliandra Posts: 520

Hi there!
    I found a really nice video tutorial from Parmy on the strand based hair, he's even got a timeline in the description so you can go straight to the section that you have questions on!
    Elli

• SelekSelek Posts: 70

Thanks for the link!  Looks very helpful.

My biggest issue with strand-based hair now is that Daz crashes occasionally while I'm using it.  I have 12G RAM and a GTX980, and Daz runs smoothly for me most of the time.  In fact, even the strand-based hair application runs smoothly.  I just get abrupt crashes occasionally while using it.  It's a bummer, because I like it.

At the same time, I do also own ZBrush, and I've been practicing with Fibermesh, so that may be the direction I go anyway.  Do you have any thoughts on ZBrush's Fibermesh vs Daz's strand-based hair?

• ElliandraElliandra Posts: 520

I don't have ZBrush so can't really say sad

• SelekSelek Posts: 70

No worries; thanks for taking the time to reply.  :)

• A discussion on saving and loading strand based here is over here. Basically you can re-use strand based hair on same gender/generation characters but you would use a proxy geometry (hair cap / skull cap) for base characters of different gender/generations.