Noob question - appearant gaps between seams

adekii_7c5e2f82c7adekii_7c5e2f82c7 Posts: 19
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello!

Sorry for this complete noob question, I know I'm doing something wrong I'm just not sure exactly what it is. I applied some pre-made textures to a genesis model, and everything looked fine. Then I painted over copies of those textures in photoshop, and applied the updated textures to the genesis model. However, I'm getting little white gaps between the seams of where the arm/shoulder textures meet the torso, and I'm not sure why. I completely filled the texture graphics with color so there should not be any white spots on them. Is there a control I need to use to "stretch out" the texture to the limits? Did I screw up something really fundamental?

Here's an example of what I'm seeing, if I have attached the image correctly that is:

burstlionwip5.png
1116 x 1009 - 547K

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,906
    edited December 1969

Genesis has several uv layouts. do you know which uv map you used for the texture and which uv map Genesis is using?

• adekii_7c5e2f82c7adekii_7c5e2f82c7 Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

When I had applied the purchased "catgirl" skins, they appeared to have gone into the box beside "diffuse color" and "velvet", so I put my modified textures into those same boxes. I think that's what you were asking, if you were asking a different question I apologize for my misinterpretation!

edited December 1969

adekii said:
    When I had applied the purchased "catgirl" skins, they appeared to have gone into the box beside "diffuse color" and "velvet", so I put my modified textures into those same boxes. I think that's what you were asking, if you were asking a different question I apologize for my misinterpretation!

Sorry I do not think that is what I am talking about.

Is this the catgirl you were talking about http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catgirl-genesis/ ?

edited December 1969

Sorry about that! Yes, you are 100% correct, that is the one! I opened the .jpg textures, painted over them, and saved them in a new location. I thought if I simply applied the repainted ones in the same locations, it would work. I guess I was incorrect!

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Is this a screen cap of the preview window? If so, then it's quite common to see this - at least for me. The seams will not show up in the rendered image.

If this is a rendered image, then try repainting your textures and paint a bit outside the lines. This should fill in the gap.

edited December 1969

can you post a render of the head without any hair on it?

It would be useful to know if the image in the first post was a render or preview. If it was a preview can you post the render of that image.

edited July 2012

Gone said:
    Is this a screen cap of the preview window? If so, then it's quite common to see this - at least for me. The seams will not show up in the rendered image.

If this is a rendered image, then try repainting your textures and paint a bit outside the lines. This should fill in the gap.

it is a rendered image, yeah! I'm pretty sure that when I started on repainting the texture, that I kept it on a top layer on a low opacity as a guide, and then flood-filled the layer beneath it with the red base color. I know I did this for sure on the arms/legs and face textures, but I'll doublecheck the body texture to make sure! If I didn't flood fill it, I'll paint outside the lines like you suggested!

It would be useful to know if the image in the first post was a render or preview. If it was a preview can you post the render of that image.

It is a render, and I will make a render with no hair once I get home. Thank you very much for your assistance!

Post edited by adekii_7c5e2f82c7 on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

adekii said:
    Gone said:

it is a rendered image, yeah! I'm pretty sure that when I started on repainting the texture, that I kept it on a top layer on a low opacity as a guide, and then flood-filled the layer beneath it with the red base color. I know I did this for sure on the arms/legs and face textures, but I'll doublecheck the body texture to make sure! If I didn't flood fill it, I'll paint outside the lines like you suggested!

It is a render, and I will make a render with no hair once I get home. Thank you very much for your assistance!Generally when creating your own textures it's a good idea to paint just outside the line. I normally select the area and expand it by 2-3 pixels. That helps to avoid the gaps you are seeing. If using .psd files I keep the base color on a separate layer to any additional detail. This helps if you need to go back later and make any changes.

edited December 1969

OK, Here is a render of the head with no hair!

Additionally, I've attached smaller versions of the images I'm using to be textures. Like the versions that were originally included in the catgirl package, there is no 'white space" at all, I've completely filled the areas with color! This is why the white gaps are puzzling me so much. There must be something else I'm missing!

burstlion_body_5_small.jpg
    800 x 800 - 90K
    burstlion_arms_legs_2b_small.jpg
    800 x 800 - 74K
    burstlion_test_nohair_001.png
    1116 x 1444 - 603K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Try this and then render, sometimes it fixes the gaps. In your render settings change Shading Rate from 1.00 to .5 or .2 and then render. The elite textures for V4 only work properly when I do that.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Try this and then render, sometimes it fixes the gaps. In your render settings change Shading Rate from 1.00 to .5 or .2 and then render. The elite textures for V4 only work properly when I do that.

Cool! I will try that out tonight, thank you very much for the advice!

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

That appears to have done it! Thank you very much for your assistance!

edited December 1969

Your Welcome. Happy rendering.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

adekii said:

OK, Here is a render of the head with no hair!

Additionally, I've attached smaller versions of the images I'm using to be textures. Like the versions that were originally included in the catgirl package, there is no 'white space" at all, I've completely filled the areas with color! This is why the white gaps are puzzling me so much. There must be something else I'm missing!

Just curious, are you using displacement at all?

I'm glad Jaderail's solution worked...but it made me wonder if displacement was the issue? If it was the texture alone the suggestions above should have fixed it...

edited December 1969

Just a heads up for Pendraia. Displacement maps only stretch the surface of the item, yes that can cause smears in textures but it (displacement) will not actually move the Texture maps. They are controlled by the UV mapping, that will not change due to a displacement map they also follow the UV map for the item.