How do I create an install program?

vintorixvintorix Posts: 220
edited December 1969 in New Users

How do I create an install program that works for both Daz and Poser?

Comments

• adegneradegner Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

you don't create a zip file. Installers are a pain.

• vintorixvintorix Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

adegner, "you don’t create a zip file. Installers are a pain."

I 100% agree with you, but then next question follows naturally,

How do I create the zip file? (what is the folder structure and where do I find the data?)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Daz3D is in the process of changing all the old .exe content files, with the instlallers in them, and are instead going to be releasing .zip files. Some have already been updated and more are done each day. THere will also be an optional installer program which can be used to install these zips.

Once you have downloaded one of the newer .zip format files, you will be able to analyse it to see the reccomended format for making your own zip files.

edited July 2012

chohole,

Thank you!

After some hunting I was able to find an example: three folders is needed, People, Data and Runtime with the appropriate content.

I suppose I could make an install structure by,

1) Saving my cloth as a Support Asset (DSF Figure or Prop File.
    2) Extract the data from the various places in the main library (My Library)
    3) Delete the same data from the main library so as not to clutter it.

Is that correct? Or is there a faster and safer way to do it?

Say that you have done everything and find out that you have to add an item. Do you have to go through the whole procedure again or is there a way to save to the new folder?

Post edited by vintorix on
  • gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

A follow on question is: how do you create an uninstall 'file'?

I remember seeing once a tutorial on how to set up your own install/uninstall 'system' based on zips. At the time I wasn't interested in it, partly because I seem to remember that it was a rather complicated process.

Does anyone know where it might be or can describe a process where removal of an installed set of files can be easily achieved.

I have become interested because my runtime has become a mess with my installing file sets for products for a particular use but don't want them cluttering up my runtime afterwards.

edited December 1969

luxgabo,

I have discovered that I have inadvertently installed 3 items (dsf files) in my main library.

How many support files are installed at various places in my (previously) pristine library that I don't dare delete?

I cannot get any sleep for it.

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

So far the method I use is to start off with a clean installation, install all the base products that I know I will need regardless, and then save the runtime. So I can at least get back to a known point by restoring the saved runtime.

edited December 1969

Ok I do the same with my (almost) clean installation. Still need to know how to create installer packages though.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,161
    edited December 1969

Making a zip is easy - Windows will do it, or you can use a utility like 7Zip. Is this what you need help with, or is it separating out the files you need to place in the zip?

edited July 2012

Richard Haseltine,

It is separating out the files that is the problem, so I don't take one bit extra and not one bit less.

Then I wanted to ensure that it is not an easier method.
    For example in Poser you create one empty runtime folder structure that is always the same.

You load a copy of this runtime and thereafter everything you save will go into this runtime and nothing outside this runtime.
    When your finished just zip it.

edited December 1969

As I recall, though I can't check just now, when exporting support assets ther's a check box to use the current directory - if that was an otherwise empty folder I think it would give what you ant. It would be up to you to place any texture files in that folder before applying them, though.

edited July 2012

Richard Haseltine

Thank you Sir,

It worked exactly the same as in Poser.

1) Make a folder with your external runtime in Daz format.
    2) Make sure that this is your working active library (i e "Add a Base Directory")
    3) Save As Support Asset, check for "Write data files to the same content library"

Then just zip the folder.

P.S. I was also able to clean up my orginal My library so it is back to its pristine shape :)

edited December 1969

Glad that worked.