Black spots in render

ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
edited December 1969 in New Users

How exactly do you get rid of these? I believe it's fixed by adjusting render settings but which settings would those be?

Kung_Fu_clip.jpg
250 x 145 - 5K

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It depends on your Lighting also. If you are using UE2 the samples can be increased or you can use the High Render Settings icon in the Uber Enviro folder. For all other renders the quick fix is Shading Rate. The lower you set it the smoother your shading will be. Increasing the Pixel Samples X and Y can also help with this. Good Shading Rates are 1. then .5 then .2 and .1. I hardly ever go below .1 in that setting Pixel Samples should go up by a power 4, 8, 16, 32 but will work well with 12,14 or 16. Your render times will increas as you change these settings. UE will really increase at High Settings.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited July 2012

In my experience Pixel samples don't need to be above 6 or 8 unless you are using DOF and then that all depends on the F-Stop value. The more blur the more you increase the Pixel Samples. When using DOF I start the Pixel Samples x & y off at 18 - 20.

I would try a Render setting "Shading Rate" of .2 leaving the Pixel samples at default and see if that does the job.

Blotchyness (is that even a word) can also be casued by using Deep Shadow Mapped shadows (as opposed to Raytraced Shadows) and a low Shadow Sample level. Increasing that to about 20 - 26 will help with that side of things.

Post edited by Szark on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    In my experience Pixel samples don't need to be above 6 or 8 unless you are using DOF and then that all depends on the F-Stop value. The more blur the more you increase the Pixel Samples. When using DOF I start the Pixel Samples x & y off at 18 - 20.

I would try a Render setting "Shading Rate" of .2 leaving the Pixel samples at default and see if that does the job.

Blotchyness (is that even a word) can also be casued by using Deep Shadow Mapped shadows (as opposed to Raytraced Shadows) and a low Shadow Sample level. Increasing that to about 20 - 26 will help with that side of things.

Thanks for the info. I have never gone above Shadow Samples of 16. I did leave that out of my post and I'm sorry. I just forgot about it. :red:
    edited December 1969

Jaderail you should see the mistakes I have made here in the last two days. No need to apologise.

Yeah I never touched Shadow Samples myself until one image I just couldn't get rid of the black spots even though all the other settings were at a high quality setting. And it was only after I had entered the offending image into a contest some kind soul let me in on that gem and he was spot on. As soon as I upped it to 22 the black spots went away. That image used a lot of Deep Shadow Mapping. But I think for gerenal purposes 16 is good enough.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info. Still adjusting settings to see how much I can get it to improve.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Still having difficulties getting rid of these. To my understanding, there's a way to only render selected parts of an image. How do you do that? I'd like to try to crank the settings really high up on that one area.

edited July 2012

Yes you are looking for the Spot Render tool see attached image. Just select the tool and with your mouse draw a square around the area you want to spot render.

SpotRenderTool.jpg
    800 x 129 - 48K
    Post edited by Szark on