Where are the obj files?

vintorixvintorix Posts: 220
edited December 1969 in New Users

Coming from Poser I have to ask two questions,

1) Why is it not recommended to use multiple install paths and multiple runtimes? I tried that and it seems to work fine.

2) I can't find the obj files anywhere!

?

Comments

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,892
    edited July 2012

1. I had not heard that one...so I don't know, but...
    2. If the content has a geometry (.obj) file, it can be found:

Studio\MyLibrary\Runtime\Geometries

However... some products (like those in any DazStudio file format like .daz or .dsf) may not come with seperate .obj files.

You can, however, export any geometry out as an .obj with Daz Studio

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • vintorixvintorix Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

So Daz format doesn't have an obj file, interesting. Thank you.

I guess I can go on using multiple install paths and runtimes then, until something hits me..

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,892
    edited July 2012

yeah... you should have no issue with that. I have Daz Studio pointing to several Runtimes from my old Poser set up...all the new Genesis or DAZ ONLY stuff goes into my "Daz" library...all Poser stuff I have just as I had it before with no issue. :) So, you should be OK with that one.

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The newer items come in Data Format if they are DAZ only content. If it is Daz/Poser compatable it will come with the .obj included.

edited December 1969

JasminSkunk, "I have Daz Studio pointing to several Runtimes from my old Poser set up."
    Jaderail,"The newer items come in Data Format if they are DAZ only content."

Runtimes from Poser naturally but I want to have the DAZ ONLY stuff external too!

edited December 1969

You can put your Daz Content folder any place you wish as long as you set your Content Directory paths properly in the DAZ render program. All it needs is the proper DS folder structure with the one Runtime folder embedded that it needs. The only thing really important to remember is that Daz saves Data into the First folder listed as a Daz Native Format folder. So it has to be a DS folder at the top of that list or you can not load your saved DS Scene files.

edited December 1969

Jaderail, "You can put your Daz Content folder any place you wish"
    -
    I don't want to put all my runtimes in one content folder regardless where the folder resides. I want every single piece of cloth, every prop to have its own folder, organized externally ready to load when I need it.

edited July 2012

I have 120 Gb of DS content, I sure do not want one folder for every item. I do that inside the program of Daz with catagories. But everyone does things different. I do not think it's possible to do that with Daz content. Way over my head. Sorry, I was just trying to help.

I will shut up now.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited July 2012

And I have 48 GB of Poser content all organized in a nice orderly hierarchy with every piece having its own folder. Never any problem. Why shouldn't it be possible with Dazformat? I've tried with a few items and it doesn't seems to be a problem. I would like to know what issues I will have eventually, if any.

Post edited by vintorix on
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

It can, it is simply not recommended. A large library of content/runtime pairings has been demonstrated to have poor performance verses a smaller number of content/runtime pairings. DS will start to complain around 10 pairs. I didn't notice any problems until around 30 when things started to get slower.

The thing is though, with DS, it's really almost redundant to do things at the file system level. Categories let you do anything you want with organizing your content including levels of OCD like mine.

201206200759_cmdb_ocd.png
    1072 x 629 - 48K
    edited December 1969

adam001, "DS will start to complain around 10 pairs. I didn’t notice any problems until around 30 when things started to get slower"
    Categorizing is better done with a real database where you have control. But very well if you say it can't be done it can't be done. Thank you all for the advice. It wouldn't have been fun to install all the stuff and then have to start again from the beginning!

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited July 2012

The categories are in an SQL (based) database in DS4.

Post edited by adamr001 on
    edited December 1969

adam001, "The categories are in an SQL (based) database in DS4."

Yes I am sure of it but can you take control?

?

edited December 1969

adam001,
    Come to think of it I may not having been totally clear. I never meant to load all the external base directories at the same time, but only the 4-5 I need for a certain project. When I am finished I delete and load new ones for my next project.Is that is viable?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,161
    edited December 1969

Yes, mostly - just right-click on Poser Formats or DAZ Studio Formats in the Content Library pane and choose Add ... Directory to add a new folder, right-click on a folder and choose the remove option to kill it. The main stumbling block is Genesis itself, which requires all expansions (morphs, including character sets with custom morphs) to be installed to the folder with Genesis installed (in fact they would work from external folders in 4.5, but for now the installers won't let you put them there directly).

edited December 1969

Richard Haseltine,
    "The main stumbling block is Genesis itself, which requires all expansions (morphs, including character sets with custom morphs) to be installed to the folder with Genesis installed"
    That is not a problem the morphs and other things that belongs to Genesis can be installed to the default folder. So I can make a try for this. The good thing which I discovered is that even if you remove the temp base_directory the meta data remains in the database with correct links so you can have the best of two worlds, external runtimes and database at the same time.