difference between DSF Character File and DSF Figure file?

Sylva1nSylva1n Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello,

what is the difference between DSF Character File and DSF Figure file?

thanks,

Sylvain

Comments

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,008
    edited December 1969

A DSF figure file is a poseable figure, like a clothing item or a standalone critter. I think a DSF Character File is a set of morph parameters for a figure, like a genesis character setting. I'm not 100% sure about that part though - I've made figures (clothes) but am still learning how to do characters.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,163
    edited December 1969

A DSF figure is a set of files saved to the \data folder that contains the shape, rigging, uv mapping and morphs for a figure (or prop). A character file is a user file, not in the \data folder, that will load or modify a figure (the Genesis in the library folder is actually a character file, that loads the files from the \data folder).

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

A DSF figure is a set of files saved to the \data folder that contains the shape, rigging, uv mapping and morphs for a figure (or prop). A character file is a user file, not in the \data folder, that will load or modify a figure (the Genesis in the library folder is actually a character file, that loads the files from the \data folder).

So to put this in a practical perspective...

I've just weightmapped Smay's Mavka figure for my own use.

Is it sufficient to save it as a character file or do I also need to set up a figure file?

Secondly if I want to convert the morph injections what is the process and do I have to put them in the data folder?

Thanks Richard! :-)

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

Pen save it as a figure, otherwise you'll be redoing everything the next time you clear the scene or restart DS.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Pen save it as a figure, otherwise you'll be redoing everything the next time you clear the scene or restart DS.

Thanks Bejaymac! I imagine that I have to go to File\Save As\Support Assets\figure/prop assets to do this?

I am going to start again as I tried injecting morphs into this one and it put the morphs across but they were very bitty and messy so I'm going to start from scratch and save prior to doing that. I started this as an experiment to see how it would work but I really like the way the model bends once smoothing has been applied to it.

Sorry to the OP if I've taken this off track....

Thanks

Pen

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

I know what you mean about the morphs, I tried to convert Aiko3 with DS4.0 only to find that after I had saved her many of her morphs no longer worked, and that 3rd party custom morphs looked wrong. I converted her again the other day with 4.5 rc1 and thankfully her morphs work, but I haven't tried any of the 3rd party morphs yet, as the 12,332 morph files that were created by DS have given me other problems, especially as half of them are for 'ghost dials'.