All the G8 figures makes my computer freeze and crash

All the G8 figures makes my computer freeze and crash.

I am done with buying any new G8 figures' They are not keeping up
with computers of today

All other Genesis figures works fine

Get a grip! and warn people who dont have super computers not to buy these items...

Comments

• My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 608
    edited April 2019

Go back and do the V4, G2 nd G3 figures instead they look just as good and are easy to render

Post edited by My 3D Spin on
  • I can use Genesis 8 on a nine year old computer (i7 920, 12GB RAM), with an nVidia 750Ti GPU.

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 912

I have to use scene optimizer https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer to get G8s to work, I useually take then down 4x.

• To be honest, if G8 characters without hair give you problems, it might be time to buy a new system if you want to use them. I have no problem with G8 characters working on my 6-year old Alienware laptop(16Gb RAM, Nvidia 765M, i7 4700MQ @ 2.4Ghz). As a matter of fact, I've already had a G3 and G8 character loaded together in a scene with no problems. The thing that really slows Daz for me is certain types of hair or if I try to use high SubD levels(3+) on a character in the viewport.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,726

Go back and do the V4, G2 nd G3 figures instead they look just as good and are easy to render

They don't look just as good IMO. I have a mid level PC and have no issues with new G8 characters, so maybe there is something wrong with your PC that you are getting these issues and others are not.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

You probably have some technical problems!

Why are you so harsh with Daz? If someone doesn't want to invest in his own PC, he probably won't buy anything from the shop either, and so he won't support the software development! Enjoy your free Genesis 3 stuff! ^^

edited April 2019
    kameneko said:

Why are you so harsh with Daz? If someone doesn't want to invest in his own PC, he probably
    won't buy anything from the shop either, and so he won't support the software development! Enjoy your free Genesis 3 stuff! ^^

Thanks for that remark. I Buy items for thousands of Dollars from DAZ. The problem is with the products
                       not keeping up with what computers can handle.
                      Do you expect me to invest another thousand dollars to get anew computer just to keep DAZ happy?

Post edited by My 3D Spin on

They don't look just as good IMO. I have a mid level PC and have no issues with new G8 characters, so maybe there is something wrong with your PC that you are getting these issues and others are not.

Show me an image with two G8 Charathers in one scene!

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    edited April 2019

My computer is now five years old, and I don't have any problems with two G8 in a scene, when using DS 4.10 or 4.11. However, my system will crash if subdivision is set too high. Could you please check what subdivision setting the figures you try to render are using?

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that when you are not using an nVidea graphic card (or the scene won't fit), the render will fall back to CPU, and that means that you'll have twice the figure's "basic load" minimum in your RAM. So if you have 8GM RAM (as one of your posts earlier said) and you are still having problems since February with G8 crashing your system (and I do assume that you are using DAZ Studio 4.10!), the issue might very well be that your system's setup doesn't work very well for Iray rendering. Rule of thumb from my experience is that an unclothed G2 needs about 1 GB render memory in CPU-mode. Map sizes are rarely above 4096x4096. The maps of G8 are often much larger (8kx8k) and the figure makes heavy use of HD/Subdivision and normal maps. Both drive up memory use while rendering, so an unclothed G8 might very well land you in the 2-3GB render memory usage per single figure. If your system and the DAZ software eat up maybe 4GB as "basic load", and you add two G8s into the fray, what might "just barely" be possible with older, lower map-sized figures, and lower subdivided figures, simply eats up the free RAM in your system, and the computer crashes.

And almost all newly released items have large maps 4kx4k or above, which will give you better details on closeup. An easy way is using a tool like Scene Optimizer that will reduce the map sizes and lower the subdivision for you. Of course, you won't get the results on closeup that you'd get with the full size maps, but yeah.

(There's also an issue with some of the new shaders crashing the program when you are using them on an older version of DAZ Studio, like 4.8, but that's a different topic altogether).

It is the price of rendering in Iray with expecting more realistic results. I used to have 16GB memory on my system, and a 2GB nVidea GTX660. When I bought my PC for rendering in 2013, Iray wasn't an option, and I could render really huge scenes with it using 3Delight. But that was 5 years ago. Iray changed a lot of the rules, because of how it works, and how memory hungry it is.

Yes, you can use G8 on a smaller system. If you want to use Iray, reduce the map size, reduce subdivision. Make sure your drivers are up to date and you're using the current version of Studio, or the current Beta. Otherwise, turn to 3Delight as render engine. Alternatively, just use the older characters, but please, don't make G8 and DAZ the devil. Programs like Maya demand 4GB RAM minimum out of the box, and have the lowest reasonable baseline at 8GB.  PC games also require "better" computers over the years, the same is true for rendering. I doubt you'd tell the developers of, say "Grand theft Auto V" (minimum RAM requirement 8GB) that they should reprogram so you can run their program on your machine.

And here's your render with G8M and G8F, both using HD morphs.

FergalHD_AlexandraHD.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    kameneko said:

Why are you so harsh with Daz? If someone doesn't want to invest in his own PC, he probably
    won't buy anything from the shop either, and so he won't support the software development! Enjoy your free Genesis 3 stuff! ^^

Thanks for that remark. I Buy items for thousands of Dollars from DAZ. The problem is with the products
                       not keeping up with what computers can handle.
                      Do you expect me to invest another thousand dollars to get anew computer just to keep DAZ happy?

I see...I would have gladly spent a third of what I've spent to get a new GPU, and my overall render experience would be much better, but those sales can become an addiction xD

I don't think they increase the hardware requirements artificially: the technology moves on! What was available in the past for that hardware power remains available today, but it's normal that the industry looks forward. If you look at Steam hardware survay (https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/), the average GPU is a GTX 1060 (the one I've got), and the people who render usually have even more powerful PCs, so it's understandable that Daz points at something like a GTX 1070 power! I don't think that's to penalize anyone!

• xristos666xristos666 Posts: 3

hi  

may Pc has the following features

CPU i7 7700K

32Gb Memory  and run to 2666Ghz

Asus  graphics cards RTX2080ti 11gb

My PC run as dual boot  win7 and win 10  in two NVME disc. The data  of Daz12 are mounted on one ssd 1tb.

Μy problem is that it load very slowly the  figures G8, I can't work with it CPU it works 100%, whith rendering or without rendering. Αnd I have several Crashs

Τhe figures V4,G2,G3 they work very well .

I have a test of everything. reinstall Windows , Daz , drivers , disc change΄. but the problem remains.

I have the same problems with a second PC with a similar characterization  i7 and Asus  graphics cards GTX980ti and 32gb merory 

I'm desperate, 1400 euros for RTX and I can't do anything

sorry for my English

Thanks!!!

• LenioTG said:

loved the constant "HE" comments used by a woman here

Why are you so harsh with Daz? If someone doesn't want to invest in his own PC, he probably won't buy anything from the shop either, and so he won't support the software development! Enjoy your free Genesis 3 stuff! ^^

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

So, what are the specifications for a "computer of today" that cannot handle DAZ and G8?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,914

My 3D Spin said:

Show me an image with two G8 Charathers in one scene!

5: 

The Last Straw

6:

Ride of a Lifetime

7:

Hooves 'n Horns

8:

Wrassle

12:

Merry Kronia

• Matt_BrownMatt_Brown Posts: 176

My backup computer is a old laptop with an i7 2.5GHz processor, 8 Gb of system RAM, and no Nvidia graphics card. Even so, it will (incredibly slowly) Iray render four G8's providing that I keep them on a simple scene. In fact I find little difference in the rendering load between G2, G3, or G8.