Game Animation: From The Sublime To The Ridiculous

I'm a huge fan of Rockstar games, in particular GTA5.  After a LONG wait, they just brought out "Red Dead Redemption 2", a sequel to the original from 2010 set in the old west around 1900.  So today I bought the game, a PS4 console, and the game guide.  As you might guess, its amazing - official game play video below.  I'm explaining to my wife that there seems to be a mini-game with RC controlled model boats on a small lake, somewhat of an anachronism for 1900 ... but she remembered a game within a game from long ago that had us both giggling:  "Astro Chicken" from Sierra's "Space Quest 3" (1989), also video below.  the "controls" were a little less than tight ... OK, the latter was a little less sophisticated, but still memorable.  Thanks to both Rockstar's geniuses and Sierra's geniuses.  

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

that western one is gobb smakingly amazing

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,227

that western one is gobb smakingly amazing

Indeed.  " ... 300,000 animations, 500,000 lines of dialogue, 1,200 actors, all of them SAG-AFTRA, and 700 of those actors have voice lines, ... a stack of script pages, if they included all the side content 'would be eight feet high' ...  The main story alone is 2,000 pages of script."  " ... (guesstimated)  6500 employee years (in development over 7 years), total cost of making and marketing Red Dead Redemption 2 (is) $944.2 million."   Okay, so a little more effort than the 48 Hour Film contest.

surprise

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

wow, the gnp of a small country :) amazed by the quality of the animation and lighting and weather effects