Carrara Challenge 42 – PIONEERS – Dedicated to Eric Winemiller - WIP

Comments

• well AM has a Squirrel and maybe with someone skilled it can be made to work with Carrara fur but mine look like stuffed toys

click video

• https://www.daz3d.com/rodents-by-am-squirrels-of-eastern-hemisphere

there is this old thing too, the one on the right in my video possibly

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-squirrel

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,431
    Bunyip02 said:

Thanks for the link to the bovines. I also found a moose model there. Sadly no squirrel. wink

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Chipmunk_/_Ground_Squirrel

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Animals

A ground squirrel is not a squirrel. cheeky

No squirrels down here but we do have plenty of possums !!!!!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,079
    edited September 2018

well I have heard people eat squirrels so ground squirrel probably minced

we don't generally eat possums but do eat kangaroo and emu

the pioneers certainly did the ones who came here 40K years ago

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ed3D said:

UnifiedBrain:  American  Frontier  _very good

Thanks ed3D!

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,418
    Bunyip02 said:
    Alberto said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Great work everyone, will be joining in the fun tomorrow !!!!

We're waiting for you. smiley

Went hunting for something I was interested in for one of my scenes, found this:- https://web.archive.org/web/20021019105729fw_/http://digitalcarversguild.com:80/tutorials/tutframe.htm

Good hunting! wink

This tutorial is still in DGC page http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/tutorial.php?TutorialId=1

The tutorials I colected are in second post: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3899136/#Comment_3899136

If you find other tut not included in the list, please, let me know.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,144
    ed3D said:

UnifiedBrain:  American  Frontier  _very good

Thanks ed3D!

_You're quite welcome 

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499
    edited September 2018

How do i modify carrara leaves? i forgot

like,how does carrara know where the"stem" is?

Post edited by VIArts on
    Alberto said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    Alberto said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Great work everyone, will be joining in the fun tomorrow !!!!

We're waiting for you. smiley

Went hunting for something I was interested in for one of my scenes, found this:- https://web.archive.org/web/20021019105729fw_/http://digitalcarversguild.com:80/tutorials/tutframe.htm

Good hunting! wink

This tutorial is still in DGC page http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/tutorial.php?TutorialId=1

The tutorials I colected are in second post: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3899136/#Comment_3899136

If you find other tut not included in the list, please, let me know.

The top tutorials are still the same at the archive site as currently at DCG, there's some extra goodies that might be useful for people at the bottom (Anything Glows & Others).

edited September 2018

Start of my scene, using George Lamberts painting as inspiration. Makes you wonder about the conditions if the camels were dropping......

Had some fun & games with the DCG GC Importer Terrain Filter until I worked out what I was doing wrong, full steam ahead now !!!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

EP - your teasers are looking great, looking forward to the finished render.

Stezza - great work as always

Headwax - hope you are plotting something well worth waiting for in addition to Faraday

Diomede - Frontier man looks awesome.

UB - Frontier woman looks like she's ready to use that musket on anyone up to no good, very nice render.

LightofHeaven - hope you are making progress with those hiccups you are having.

ed3D - are you joining in or being part of the cheer squad ?

Wendy - how about an Aussie pioneer woman making possum pie/soup/stew ?

DesertDude, de3an, Misty, Vyusur, Selina, SileneUK, MDO2010, 3drendero and any others who might be tempted to join in - we're missing your ideas and talents !!!!!

edited September 2018
    Bunyip02 said:

_Was supposeing of Joining  _ have Carrara 7 Pro  _image is Incomplete

_And  am in the Bryce Challenge also

Doc1MW-MRS-2-TST.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 312K
    Post edited by ed3D on
    ed3D said:
    Bunyip02 said:

You are definately welcome to join in, love the shader on your terrain. Any problems feel free to ask for help, lots of wisdom amoung the users, although there is a fair bit of learning to do with the excellent DCG plugins.

Often use Bryce, especially for terrains & materials - also some very nice models in there, was looking at joining in the Bryce Challenges but finding time is difficult when I am trying to balance hobby and real world activities. Just finished installing the freebie materials by luchare at DeviantArt https://www.deviantart.com/luchare/art/Luchare-s-More-Mats-for-Bryce-87207097

edited September 2018

Started populating my scene, will remove and replace the large scraggly dead tree, also make the leaf shaders a less lush green, then add our intrepid explorers.

edited September 2018

Preliminary render, still got a lot of work to do, including fixing those levitating rocks, cloth & tassels on camel, leaves on small tree, shaders on clothes of person under small tree, water bottle and pistol pouch on man standing up, resize crow, add dead grass, & ........

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited September 2018

Been gone with no 'puter access all weekend. Lots of good stuff in here. I think I may be done or nearly done with my scene. I'll post more about it in another post.

"Getting Ready to Populate Proxima Centauri B."

Centauri Pioneers.png
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    ed3D said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Welcome! smiley

Bunyip02 said:

Preliminary render, still got a lot of work to do, including fixing those levitating rocks, cloth & tassels on camel, leaves on small tree, shaders on clothes of person under small tree, water bottle and pistol pouch on man standing up, resize crow, add dead grass, & ........

This makes me thirsty. wink

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,008
    Bunyip02 said:

Bourke & Wills awesome start @Bunyip02 .. looking forward to seeing this one completed... yes

Been gone with no 'puter access all weekend. Lots of good stuff in here. I think I may be done or nearly done with my scene. I'll post more about it in another post.

@EvilProducer .. what a great scene .. it's coming along great, just hope they keep on the right side of the space highway wink

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,008

Every now and again Momma would get that look...

This is a bit of a kitbash.  Characters are both V4.  Wagon is a rendo freebie, and the V4 apron skirt is from sharecg (both very nice).  The V4 adult top is the Courageous tunic, and the child's dress is a modified Valiant Tabbard.  The steer is an amazing freebie I just discovered, but old-timers likely already know it well.  I looked at several muskets, but nothing could touch the one at rendo from dante78 (a terrific artist). 

Native processes include Carrara Realistic sky, Carrara terrain, Carrara Volumetric clouds, Carrara text, and aura.  I didn't create anything in the modeling room, but I modified virtually everything in the scene there.  GMIC provided the canvas texture, and some contrast.  Also, I applied the fake fresnel (Shader Ops) plugin, but not in a conventional way.  It was used to subtly alter the terrain and the text.  A setting is provided below.

Almost forgot.  No postwork.  Thanks Carrara!

awesome work UB ... I reckon she has got that look now.... even more so.. devil yes

Beatiful scene!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited September 2018

Thanks all!

So, I want to note that I used indirect lighting on the interior ship rendering, but not on the exterior base rendering. I was curious to see the effect that might have on the overall render. I did no adjustments to levels or anything like that, with the exception of reducing the opacity of the lens flare layer from 100% to 62%.

I rendered three passes of the scene because I was not getting the effects I wanted through the windshield with the aura and lens flares. I rendered a scene with alpha for the flare, the interior with alpha and relfections on the windshield, and then the base layer with the planet, sun and nebula with no alpha. I kept the lighting the same for each render except for the interior lights of the ship in the lens flare and base layer renders. I adjusted the intensity of lens flare down, by reducing the opacity of that layer.

I'll post information on the plugins I used and how, and also lighting in the next few days. The compositing was pretty easy to get together becasue I basically just layered.

Top layer:

Middle layer:

Base layer:

Composite with top and middle layers:

Full composite:

Centauri Pioneers-flare.png
    2000 x 1125 - 832K
    Centauri Pioneers-interior.png
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
    Centauri Pioneers-exterior.png
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Centauri Pioneers-comp1.png
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Centauri Pioneers.png
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Stezza said:

awesome work UB ... I reckon she has got that look now.... even more so.. devil yes

laugh

edited September 2018

The dreaded End-Of-File monster attacked my scene file cryingangry

They say practice makes perfect so have redone my scene.....

Used M4 in place of Genesis this time around, kaput file was 4.2 gigabytes, new file is 1.37 gigabytes with the scene extras added.

edited September 2018

Bunyip02: thanks for the welcome
     the shader- don't recall off hand, but thanks

_Sorry, about "dreaded End-Of-File monster" _And is  looking pretty Cool too

Alberto: well, thanks
     did suppose to entry previous Challenge - had several ideas but had trouble with Hair and Metaballs, since hadn't used neither -
    Then, had an idea that uses both_and they was working _    But, was in last 2 days of Challenge _So, incomplete -

evilproducer: Very good

Post edited by ed3D on
    Bunyip02 said:

Used M4 in place of Genesis this time around, kaput file was 4.2 gigabytes, new file is 1.37 gigabytes with the scene extras added.

Oh, damned, hideous monster! 

You touched the 4GB upper limit (the summoning terrible number 4,194,334 KB). sad

However, you are very fast to work! surprise

• Bunyip02 said:

Looking forward to the final scene.  Kudos to you for making the effort to redo it!  Imagine if we had a way to take the bloat out of Genesis...smiley  Maybe Carrara 8.6?  smiley  Wonder what people would pay for the upgrade?  smiley

• Bunyip02 said:

Looking forward to the final scene.  Kudos to you for making the effort to redo it!  Imagine if we had a way to take the bloat out of Genesis...smiley  Maybe Carrara 8.6?  smiley  Wonder what people would pay for the upgrade?  smiley

most of them nothing sadly as DAZ studio is free for them to click and load their mannequins in skimp

a few of us diehards will pay plenty as usual (Carrara 8.1 & 5 cost me over $500 all up)

others will stick with Bryce while their lawn grows

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited September 2018

I was talking about us "diehards." smiley  I thiink that virtually all serious Carrara users would like this feature.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • I actually started on an entry to this thread only to discover DEM data for ground control outside the US is hard to come by