lights positions not saving

phil_ffd678f3c1phil_ffd678f3c1 Posts: 12
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I place a distant light in my scene and position it where I want. I save the scene but when I reopen the light has popped back to 0.0.0.

Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Distant lights have no true location, only direction.

• phil_ffd678f3c1phil_ffd678f3c1 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

That can't be right otherwise you couldn't cast light from overhead, everything would be lit from underneath.

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited June 2012

Hi... think of Distant Lights as the sun...the arrows indicate the direction that the light is coming from

So it doesn't matter where you translate the Distant Light to in the scene, what matters is which direction the arrows are pointed. That's where the light will be coming from and you adjust that with the rotation sliders to what every angle you want

Hope that helps... :)

Edit: Now if the scene save isn't retaining the rotation settings...then that's a problem

Post edited by niccipb on
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,098
    edited December 1969

Are you in DS 4.5? I just noticed that cameras do the same thing. I had a DS 4.0 daz scene file, imported it into 4.5, saved as a duf scene file, then when I opened it again, all my cameras had been reset to default perspective view. Lights seem okay, though.

• phil_ffd678f3c1phil_ffd678f3c1 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Ok, the distant light direction only explanation makes sense. This would mean that the rotation changes are happening because I ticked the box that automatically creates a target for the light. Each time the file opens the light pops to 0.0.0 and then rotates to face the target (which is positive y and 0 for x and z). Thanks for the heads up.

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Ok, the distant light direction only explanation makes sense. This would mean that the rotation changes are happening because I ticked the box that automatically creates a target for the light. Each time the file opens the light pops to 0.0.0 and then rotates to face the target (which is positive y and 0 for x and z). Thanks for the heads up.

Hi....

Yep... that's right, if you created a "Point At" target in the scene, then where ever you move the light in the scene, the light will rotate to point at the target. The same goes for cameras.

You can remove or change the target in the Parameters Tab for the light in the General section under Misc.

:)