Preferences File , Carrara Crashing.

Good day all I finally had a chance to play in Carrara today but it will not start.

I copied my extensions folder to anouther location and deleted it, I uninstalled and re-installed Carrara using both DIM and Manually and it still will not start it closes a split second after starting.

I recall that this was the same behavior assosiated with a corrupt preferences file but could not remember the location of the file so I can get it to open.

Does anyone remember where the preferences file is located so I can delete it and it will be recreated on start up.

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

on win7 was under c:users, local, was either apps or roaming, daz3d

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,008

Windows 10 it is found here

C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Carrara 8.5\Preferences.txt

yes

same as win7 and 8

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Didn't work so now I will have to uninstall all carrara specific content from the carrara folder and do an unistall, delete folder, re-install from scratch.

It was worth a shot.

Only time I have had this problem.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

can you move the existing content tree(s) out of the way, and restart to see if that'll make a difference (simply rename it to something else for a restart-check)?

Per the other current thread, there were two preference files 'Preference.txt' and CompPrefs.txt, I think. if you move those both out of the way(rename as well), and restart, does it make a difference?

Lastly, I recall both of those settings files being ascii text and editable (carefully, of course). Maybe any corruption is really obvious and can be fixed?

bummer/good luck,

--ms

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,079
    edited May 2018

try running as admin or compatibility mode maybe

and add it as an exception in any antivirus or Windows firewall

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Hey all,

I finallly figured out what ws causing my issue with Carrara.

My daughter was using my computer while in college as here laptop could not run maya and she needed to utilize that software for course so we installed everything she needed for course including her Huion displlay tablet.

after trying everything shoft of reinstallling I had given up on getting it working again but 2 weeks ago I had to reinstall as it ws having issues updating to the latest windows 10 version which I needed for another peice of software.

So after I reloaded first program I installed was Carrara then I downloaded on product to test it and it worked.

as I reinstalled everything I would test  to confirm if it worked.

The one item that always caused Carrara to crash was her display tablet drivers.

This sofar is the only program that had that issue. studio was find as were 3DCoat, Maya, Photoshop.

So now I have 8345 ITems to down load from the store again  then I will be able to use the smart content again as well.

Below is the link to tablet.

https://www.amazon.ca/GT-156HD-V2-HD-Programmed-Upgraded/dp/B0777M9DVL/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544067228&sr=8-4-spons&keywords=huion+tablet&psc=1

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Thanks for the info!!  who would have suspected a tablet driver ??

welcome back to Carrara. smiley

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Congratulations! I'm glad you could figure it out.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,429

Glad all of your feathers have not been plucked, looking forward to your catch-up renders !!!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

Great news chickenman welcome back! 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,008

Always a good idea to back up a working copy of the files in this folder, in case things go belly up with the DS database...

It’s good to experiment but when things go bad just copying your backup files back into the folder will get Carrara back up to speed with all your content folders and personal display setups and file locations ect...

I just did mine the other day and the files originated over six years ago... a quick copy and paste and all back to normal . yes

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,429

Just spent a few days doing backups of all 3 of my computer's drives, better to be safe than sorry !