How do I add a background reference image to my viewport? [SOLVED]

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited April 2018 in New Users

I want to construct a scene by working from an existing image. I know there's a way i can add it into the viewport, but I am damned if I can find the menu command!

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Post edited by Sertorial on

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105

Menu/Environment/Background and choose your image.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    Fishtales said:

Menu/Environment/Background and choose your image.

I don't have an environment menu. Just File, Edit, Create, Tools, Render, Connect, Window, Help

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105

Missed out Window :)

Menu/Window/Panes/Environment/Background

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    Fishtales said:

Missed out Window :)

Menu/Window/Panes/Environment/Background

Fantastic! Thanks so much

• TurnerTurner Posts: 116

I have a landscape format image, but it's getting squished to fit a square... can I make it fill proportionally?

• In addition.... you can also add a so called primitive: if you add a plane then you can easily plaster an image on it. This will also give you more control over its size and dimensions. 

Create menu => New Primitive. Make sure "Plane" is selected, and use a decent size.

Once you have your plane open the "Surfaces" pane: Plane => Default => Base color. Click on the menu icon (the small square on the left side with an arrow on it) and in the pop-up menu that will show next use "Browse". Now select an image which you want to use.

If the image doesn't look good you can always rescale the plane (use the viewport tools for this) or... click on the "base color" icon again and this time use the "Layered image editor". This will provide you with a lot more control over how the image should be shown on the plane.

Maybe food for thought?

• People generally find using  the primitive plane route,  gives more versatility than using the backdrop image, because you can resize it,  and reposition it as necessary.  

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,300
    edited September 2023

Turner said:

I have a landscape format image, but it's getting squished to fit a square... can I make it fill proportionally?

Simply calculate Aspect Ratio of your landscape image, devide width by height, let's say 1.78. Select primitive plane, in Parameters pane, enter 178 to the property 'X Scale'.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • TurnerTurner Posts: 116

Thanks, I'll try that out.