How do I install Renderosity content in DAZ Studio 4.10?

How do I install Renderosity content in DAZ Studio 4.10?

I've downloaded some free items from Renderosity which are marked as compatible with DAZ Studio. I found this old thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14540/how-to-install-renderosity-files-in-daz-studio-4

I tried installing to [Documents Directory]DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library as suggested, but the items don't show up. I tried with both the documents directory for my username and the one for Public, just for grins, and neither worked.

I also tried C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library , not only because it's similar but because it already had directories called Runtime and People, which apparently the item's directories are to merge with. Placing them there worked no better; they're still not found in DAZ Studio.

I've tried with two different items from two different creators. No dice. What am I doing wrong? It's probably some obvious thing, but I'm not seeing it.

Is there a more detailed set of instructions somewhere? That might be all I need. Or maybe some list of the most common problems.

Any help?

Comments

• What folders does the zip contain, and where are you looking for the files?

• Hi! Thanks for responding.

As an example, I'll use this file called Anagord. It's a wearable, a pair of glittery sandals for G3 females. The zip file has three folders -- Documentation, People, and Runtime. The directory structure in them appears valid; when I move those folders into C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library, the files end up in what looks like the right place to my naked eyes.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your second question. I tried both C:\Users\Melissa\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library (which does not already have Runtime and People directories, just data, Figures, Presets, and Scenes) and C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library (which has lots of directories, including three which have the same names as the Anagord file.

Neither results in the sandals being available in DAZ Studio. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your time.

• I meant where in DS - the items won't show in Smart Content at all, nor in the presets tabs of proeprty panes, nor in the Products or Categories lists in the Content Library pane. The Anagord set, if it doesn't have a Data folder, looks as if it may be for an older figure (such as Victoria 4) with the main files under Poser Formats in the Content Library and only material presets under Daz Studio Formats - but it is, in geenral, under those two then the folder you isntalled to that you should be looking.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

The Anagord set, if it doesn't have a Data folder, looks as if it may be for an older figure (such as Victoria 4)

Anagord sells a lot of texture add-ons, so the product not including a data folder might be normal.

• I didn't realize that they wouldn't show up in Smart Content. I just looked under Wardrobe->footwear and did a few searches on "ana" and "glit."

So I burrow down to them in the non-smart content? I can try that. 

Thanks for your help so far.

• Anagord files do show up in the non-smart Content Library, but under "People" I see only materials. Double-clicking doesn't load it.

This is also true of things I've purchased here in the DAZ 3D store.Hair, shoes, etc. are showing up under People, but only as materials which throw an error when I double-click them.

Why are materials under "People"? And where is the actual stuff, for purchases or the free stuff?

I eventually found shoes, both built-in and purchased, under Categories->Default->Wardrobe->footwear. Still no anagord glitter sandals, though.

I'm a bit lost right now.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,529
    edited February 2018

Are you sure the products are not just texture add-ons for a different product?

For DS format content, People/Figure is the container for everything - then you have folders for clothing, characters, materials, poses etc. within that.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Hey, I figured it out! First, the files do have to go in 

[Documents]\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

despite the other directory looking like it's the right place and this one being pretty empty by default.

So why did the glitter sandals not show up there? I guess they just don't work right. I can see this other pair of shoes okay, now that I know they won't show up in Smart Content and I have to find them the hard way.

I think I can take it from here. Thank you very much for all your assistance. 

• As I meant to ask before, are you sure the Glitter Sandals are a full product - they may just be textures for a different product (as Leana mentioned in her post).

• Yes, they're supposed to be a full product. I can live without them, though, as long as I've got it working in general.

I checked Anagord's rendo freestuff,  the only thing related to "glitter sandals" I found there is a texture set for another product...

• This an old thread but it looks as though the question was never resolved. I just want to say, for anyone who has the same question, here is how to find your Installed Renderosity content:

Unzip the content to somewhere on your computer where you can easily find it again, such as Documents or wherever, and then go into Daz Studio and open the Content Directory Manager.

If the Renderosity product has Daz Studio (*.duf) formats then add them to the Content Directory Manager under "Daz Studio".

If they are in Poser format add them to the Content Directory Manager under "Poser Format".

Then click "Accept".

Daz Studio will then search the folders and add the products under "Poser Formats" or "Daz Studio Formats" as appropriate in the Content Library. They will not show up in Smart Content but at least they will be findable.

Also if you have Poser installed it's a similar process to add content to Poser's content search panel and then both Daz Studio and Poser can search each other's content folders.

I have tons of content from Daz store, from Renderosity, from ShareCG.com and from other websites and even from old cover discs of computer magazines I bought 15 or whatever number of years ago. It drives me nuts keeping everything where I can find it but the current Daz Studio Content Manager is the best system I know of for keeping track of most of it.

• Not to beat a dead horse, but does anyone have a process which WORKS?  Sigh.......

• gecko89gecko89 Posts: 36

D4nThrx said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but does anyone have a process which WORKS?  Sigh.......

You got that right. I've been trying to figure this out for over 7 hours. Why does everything have to be a puzzle?

Just downloaded some things off Renderosity tonight. Can't do anything with those zip files. Can't find one single tutorial that actually works.

What a waste of money that was.

Unzip the file in a temp folder.

Look at the extracted files and folders to find the root folder, which is the one which will contain the main folders like Runtime, data, people...

Take everything inside that root folder and move it to your Daz content directory root folder, so that existing folders are merged (Runtime merges with your existing Runtime folder, data merges with data, and so on). Content should now be available in content library tab. Reimport metadata in case there are some provided with the new content, if not you'll have to add it to smart content yourself.

Note that the content directory you install too can not be the connect library, you can't install content manually there.

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 749

Without having read any of the thread....

The best course of action in my opinion is to create a new folder somewhere which can serve as your new "3rd party contents library". It can be created anywhere, though I would suggest not using system folders for this (like "Program files"). In my example I'll be using: "D:\media\DAZ local stuff". Create that folder and then unzip your contents into it, but to be careful that you keep proper formats in mind.

Daz Studio supports 2 formats: Poser and (obviously): Daz Studio itself. So the thing is... Poser is usually associated with a "runtime" folder, and within this folder you may come across names such as "Geometries", "Libraries" and "Textures". Basically, if you notice several subfolders named as above it's a very safe bet you're dealing with Poser formats and it should go within "Runtime". Daz Studio then is a little less strict with folders, but some common entries are: "People", Props", "data". 

So the trick is to check your ZIP file and identify the right subfolders... some people share "My library" as main folder in which the content is kept. Obviously you don't want to use that "My library" folder but instead focus on those sub-folders that actually matter.

Alas, then it's time to add all this to Daz Studio: right click on the "Content library" pane. If that's not part of your layout then it's time to add it because you're going to need this one. As said: right click on the pane ("tab") itself and select: "Content directory manager...". 

Remember me mentioning Poser and Daz Studio formats?  Yah...  so click on the "Daz Studio Formats" section, then click the now available "Add" button and point to your "3rd party folder". In my example I'd add: "d:\media\DAZ local stuff". Afterwards to the same thing for the "Poser formats" section.

When you're all done you should now be able to skim through these folders within the "Content library" pane. Just expand the format you plan on working with, then the folder and... yah, go do your thing.

It may be a bit tricky to find what you need, that's because there aren't actually hard standards. But yah, that's the way to go IMO.

Hope this could still be useful for someone.

• gecko89gecko89 Posts: 36

The best advice I've had on this subject is to use Content Wizard. For installing 2rd Party content, that's the only thing that's worked so far.

Everyone I've talked to has their own secret formula for manually installing files into Daz. I havent found one yet that works.Not one. So I stopped taking 

such advice seriously.There's surely a secret to it, or else no one could do it, but nobody'y talling me what that secret is. I've officially given up on it.

I'm currently going through a whole new set of shenanigans on Renderhub, this time with figures which don't work because they have baucoup missing files.

I contacted the vendors, one sent me a tutorial video which - surprise surprise - doen't work. They never do.  Actually it made things worse.

Another vendor has a theory that it's because I'm using Windows 10 and I should be using Windows 7 instead (if that's the case, I didn't get the memo) and 

they'll try to make a Windows 10 compatible version.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,883
    edited April 2023

For Windows, you can try this, it's free, and can uninstall as well as long as you have the zip file.  It can only install to the default path in the zip though, but these days DAZ products from Renderosity are usually correctly structured, and besides you can see and select/unselect every file in the zip you want to install so you know and have full control over what you install/uninstall.  Also handles DAZ files (ignores the Content folder).

https://3dcontentmanagers.com/cont-inst.html

Post edited by Taoz on
  • If anyone else is struggling with this issue (I have been trying to figure it out for 2 days) I finally came across something that actually worked and was incredibly easy. After this 3 minute video you will let out a huge sigh of relief. How to Use Third Party Content in Daz Studio (renderhub.com)

• I agree with the people having trouble. I am tired of watching videos that were made in 2014 on a Daz format that has been updated many times. I am tired of information in threads that are just as old. I am tired of people telling you, "You just go here to this file." And they do not tell you how to get to that file, because apparently, I can't find it. I refuse to buy the products from another site. DAZ at times does not have what I am looking fo and I am beginning to think it is easier to just learn how to make whatever it is I want.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,784

Unfortunately, I don't think you will get any truely easy way to install products from third party stores. Mainly because the QA on the packaging is quite lacking - for some stores more than others. Therefore, you will always have to know atleast a little bit about how stuff should be. I would advise using Content Wizard (as mentioned above) as it does take a lot of the pain away and can also help you spot things that are packaged poorly. It's not a full-proof "one-click" solution tho and so if you absolutely need that then you will have to limit your spending to the Daz Store.

• Properly set-up content should not be an issue, at least for Windows users (Macs have the need to avoid replacing all the existing content with just the newly extracted content) - it is simply a matter of placing any Data, Runtime, and their sibling folders directly in the folder you are using as a content directory 9at which point you will be asked if you want to merge them). The files in the /data folder may have changed but the basic steps are still the same.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,300

If one never uses Smart Content, just follow the video as above... we call it "direct dump", but truly truly not recommended nowadays, especially you have lots of 3rd-party products.

We always suggest use Smart Content first and Content Wizard to install 3rd-party products to your Daz Library.

The reason is pretty simple -: e.g.  It'll take 3 seconds for a Smart Content user to find all "Sneaker Products", while it'll take...I don't really know, maybe 3 mins for a Content Library user to get the results by searching Files other than Metadata...
    Spend more of your valuable time on your scenes other than searching assets...