how to change the UI's font size

I got a new monitor which I thought would be really amazing, until I realized the obscenely high resolution results in the tiniest text I have personally ever seen and it still be legible. However, it's gonna cause me some strain because i'm getting old and it ain't THAT legible ;)

Is there any kind of hack or mod or plugin or *any* way possible to bump the UI font size up?

Comments

• Daz Studio should rspect the OS Scale and layout setting in Windows, at the moment there isn't any other scaling in DS itself.

• I did the same thing during the latest Black Friday sale.  Got a 27 inch 2560 x 1440 montior but text is way too small.  You can use windows scaling but that defeats the whole purpose of the higher res monitor.  The "Main Street" style fonts are a little bigger.

What worked for me was to use 2 monitors.  The 27 high res monitor has only the viewports (now, I am able to use a multi viewport set up).  All other panes are on my 24 inch 1920 x 1080 monitor.  Key is to keep everything at 100% scaling or else the context menus don't align properly.  I'm going to shop for a cheap 27inch 1920 x 1080 to make things easier on the eyes.

Good thing I didn't go for those high res ultra wides or 4k's.

• Yeah there's gonna have to be some changes made to that soon. I have 1 UHD monitor and 1 "Regular" monitor, and as long as I don't have *any* daz windows on the lower-res monitor, my menus are OK-sized ( though i would still like it bigger ). However, if I pop my render window or library or anything onto that lower-res monitor, ALL the menus go back to minuscule text.

• I'm having the same issue with tiny font.  I hope they create an adjustment soon.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734

I'm going to "me-too" this thread and pray somebody at Daz starts paying attention. I'm on a 21.5-inch iMac, 1920 x 1080. It works great for all other programs I own, graphics and otherwise (a bunch), but I had to buy new glasses to use Daz Studio at all.

The suggestion from some people to just go into System Preferences and change the display resolution is risible to the point of being insulting. For one thing, that wreaks havoc on the arrangement of files and folders on the Desktop—which then cannot be undone by merely switching back. It also undermines the functionality of the layouts of other programs that work just fine with the default resolution for this monitor.

• Look at my prior posts.  I've been complaining about this for years.  Blender allows me to resize the UI text.  But not DS and not Cararra?  Why not?

• Look at my prior posts.  I've been complaining about this for years.  Blender allows me to resize the UI text.  But not DS and not Cararra?  Why not?

Qt3, at least in part, I believe - not that updating Qt (which is still being done, according to the chnage log) will be a sufficient condition but it is necessary.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,955
    edited September 2019

Heh, even with my paltry 900p monitor the font's too small, my guess is that the folks over at daz have 15 inch monitors!

I Keed, I keed, no, but seriously do what I do, and break out those reading glasses they actually work but a PERMANENT solution should be made however...

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • dijituldijitul Posts: 146

Heck, the overall interface for DAZ needs some refreshing, not limited to the font size.  The sliders can definitely be improved and quick access to options like "use limits" (I'd rather have that than the little heart for faving).  Instead of faving, there should be a section like "Currently Used" but have "Recent & Most Used" or something like that.

The gizmo should be adjustable in both size and grip sizes.

There should also be a way to easily drag groups of morphs around so you can re-organize them as you see fit.  

• Heck, the overall interface for DAZ needs some refreshing, not limited to the font size.  The sliders can definitely be improved and quick access to options like "use limits" (I'd rather have that than the little heart for faving).  Instead of faving, there should be a section like "Currently Used" but have "Recent & Most Used" or something like that.

There should also be a way to easily drag groups of morphs around so you can re-organize them as you see fit.  

This would work wonders, even though the devs are constantly moving around menu items without telling anybody, so they should do it as that's why I prefer studio over other software...

• Heck, the overall interface for DAZ needs some refreshing, not limited to the font size.  The sliders can definitely be improved and quick access to options like "use limits" (I'd rather have that than the little heart for faving).  Instead of faving, there should be a section like "Currently Used" but have "Recent & Most Used" or something like that.

This would work wonders, even though the devs are constantly moving around menu items without telling anybody, so they should do it as that's why I prefer studio over other software...

Changes to the default layout are almost always logged, as far as I can recal.

Changes to the default layout are almost always logged, as far as I can recal.

Even menu items? Then thanks for the info I stand corrected, I did not know that!

• peteanderson1212peteanderson1212 Posts: 75
    edited May 2020

Uh, I was looking for a way to increase the UI scale myself. For the time being until Daz devs heed any mind to such requests and finally listen to some of the not-so-significant issues, you can try this out. Not sure if it works with windows 7 or not, from this link, it seems that earlier versions of windows (vista and 7) had the ability to scale the applications automatically, so even dpi-unaware apps would scale out too. In windows 8.1 and 10, they introduce the option to fix the dpi per application basis and with different methods too. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/614jhv/finally_an_option_to_change_dpi_on_a/

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-high-dpi-settings-classic-apps-windows-10-april-2018-update

I used the system enhance too and it worked great. 

EDIT: Attached are my settings. 

2020-05-27_17h42_02.png
    1918 x 958 - 187K
    2020-05-27_17h43_31.png
    1920 x 980 - 368K
    2020-05-27_17h51_55.png
    466 x 560 - 26K
    2020-05-27_17h52_03.png
    392 x 488 - 25K
    Post edited by peteanderson1212 on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,159

windows-key and + at the same time open windows magnifier only way I been abe to enlarge the text

• thefettthefett Posts: 18

Has any progress been made on this one? On a Mac and can't read anything without magnification glasses that give me a headache.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,067
    thefett said:

Has any progress been made on this one? On a Mac and can't read anything without magnification glasses that give me a headache.

When there is news it will probably appear first in the change log http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Look at my prior posts.  I've been complaining about this for years.  Blender allows me to resize the UI text.  But not DS and not Cararra?  Why not?

Yeh I always found this amusing. Folks complained about Blender's UI, but it worked well imo. :)

• Hi guys there is a simple way to solve the problem of those microscopic characters in the UI

Look at the properties of the DAZStudio.exe by right click and you should find properties at the lowest line of the list.

When in "properties" choose the Compatibility option at the top of the window; at the very bottom of this new window there is "Change high DPI settings"

Click on this option: a new window appears;  at its very bottom check Override High DPI scaling behavior 

under it at "scaling performed by" choose the option: System

Click ok and in the compatibility window bottom click APPLY and then OK to close it

Of course all this should be done without the program running!

I've been told to do this for my ADOBE CC programs and VideoCoîlot ones and applied it to DAZ and it works perfectly! From then on you're through with headaches and eyesight problems! At leats Videocopilot.net support cares for our health!

Cheers, sometimes a little froggy can be of some help!LOL!
    Claude

Paris-France

• A different solution:

After I moved the Auxiliary Viewport Pane to a second monitor, I suddenly found that my Daz menus had switched to a very tiny font.  (It was wierd ... the Daz file menu was normal size, but all of the other options were tiny.  After restarting Daz Studio, ALL of the menu options were tiny.)  Rebooting the computer didn't help.  

In my case, my two monitors are of different sizes.  The main widescreen monitor runs at 1920 x 1080, while the second monitor (used for the Aux Viewport) runs at 1280 x 1024.  It turns out that the problem was my Windows 10 display settings. (Right-click on your desktop, choose Display Settings.)

For the main monitor, I had the scale and layout (size of text and apps) set to 125%.  For the second monitor, it was set to 100%.     As soon as I set the scale and layout for both monitors to 125%, the Daz menu items immediately became readable (larger).  I suspect that Daz Studio had a problem handling a different text size for each window.   [Note that after changing this setting, you might need resize/maximize your main Daz window, so that it still fits on your monitor's screen.)

• Subtropic Pixel said:

Look at my prior posts.  I've been complaining about this for yeddars.  Blender allows me to resize the UI text.  But not DS and not Cararra?  Why not?

If memory serves, earlier versions of DAZ Studio enabled end users to adjust font size/color according to personal preference. I know that a change in font size would change the appearance of the interface, but I think that should be up to the discretion of the user. 

• After getting two 32" monitors, upgrading from two 19", the text is stupidly small, jvdesuit1_582de7c548 post didn't work at all, and electricventures post only enlarged everything, i only want bigger text.... sad Daz has yet to rectify this, i can only assume they use tiny monitors in their offices or sit very close to big ones.

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421

Tips
    reduce the resolution level of the second screen to lowest that he support
    then
    move the tab you want at the second monitor

lower is the resolution, bigger are the fonts

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,318

Another possibility:

I have a 42" monitor running at 2560 X 1440 resulotion. The Studio fonts are large enough to read from a normal office viewing distance.
    The sheer size of the monitor, however, is overwhelming. So I'm running Studio in a window the size of a 32" monitor.
    The fonts remain the same easy-to-read  size as when full screen, as do the icons, and the Studio window size is just right. Still takes up a lot of real estate on my desk, so I am using a wall mount.
    All  is right in this corner of my world.

• WitchavenWitchaven Posts: 29

Has this ever been addressed??

• felisfelis Posts: 3,907

Not possible in current DS framework.

Should be possible in DS 5 - whenever it might come.