Gels for DS4

larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
edited June 2012 in The Commons

Looking through the store and saw a variety of gels available for DS, but had a few questions and was looking for some advice from users who may have used some.

Firstly, I didn't really see any for DS4, which worries me but maybe they work fine. I tend to shy away from add-ons that don't specifically call out DS4 support. Do any of you know of any gels that work well in DS4.

Secondly, how do these lights work? Can I mimic these effects using my own lights along with textures or some other method?

Finally are there any products you recommend (from any store)?

Thanks in advance

Post edited by larsmidnatt on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Without knowing which product you are refering to it will be a little hard to advise. Can you provide a link to the product in question please.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2012

Szark said:
    Without knowing which product you are refering to it will be a little hard to advise. Can you provide a link to the product in question please.

I'm not asking about a particular one, there are more than 20 that are listed to work for DS.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/index/?compat_software=DAZ+Studio&dir=asc&order=price&q=gels&x=0&y=0

I'm curious in general about these types of products.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

I think he is talking about this: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/spooky-light-gels-for-ds/. I have a couple of them....but have no clue how to use it..lol.

edited December 1969

I think he is talking about this: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/spooky-light-gels-for-ds/. I have a couple of them....but have no clue how to use it..lol.

Yeah ones like that. I figure someone has used them and may have some input.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461
    edited December 1969

Some of those packs are just images, which could be used with a light that took gels (uberSpot, a light made with ShaderMixer). or could simply be applied t a plane as a transparency map and have the light shone through that. I'm not sure what the Forbidden Whispers sets use - if uberSpot then that works in DS4 (as long as you have it), if a Shader mixed light that may need updating 9though you could still use the gels as above)

edited December 1969

Thanks Richard, that explains a lot.

edited December 1969

ForbiddenWhispers ones comes with lights and different settings :-). Just never got to use them as I have no idea how to....asked once in the old forum but got no reply so I gave up...lol. I did try to use it once just rendered black....even googled how to use it...no such luck....sigh. Might try it again one day :-).

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    edited June 2012

Below is the example render of Asobi using lights from the Lighting 2 Life Light Gels for DS
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/lighting-2-life-light-gels-for-ds/
    I have used the following presets:
    Shadow Lights preset LtL-S-01
    Gels Colour Full Body preset LtL-CGB-01
    The second preset was applied by pressing the Ctrl key and choosing 'Add' option.
    Rendered in Daz Studio Pro 4.0.3.47

Asobi34pic01x800.jpg
    480 x 800 - 162K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

And one more with the second preset applied from Gels Colour Full Body preset LtL-CGB-05

Asobi35pic03.jpg
    600 x 800 - 105K
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Those are some cool renders. I need to get that.

edited December 1969

Wow those are so neat Artini :-). Thank you for showing it and bookmarked!

edited December 1969

Thanks. I have noticed that not all presets from Lighting 2 Life Light Gels for DS
    works in full in DS4 (there were some error messages from 3Delight rendering engine in DS4).
    I will try more presets soon.

edited December 1969

Yet another render using lights from the Lighting 2 Life Light Gels for DS
    of Genesis with P3D Catherina character applied.
    Used Gels Colour Full Body preset LTL-CGB-06.

Catherina04pic01.jpg
    700 x 800 - 227K
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Wow that is awesome!

edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments, Ledhead. I have not played so much with the gel lights in the Daz Studio before,
    but I also like how the renders came out.