Carrara Challenge 35 - Tribute to Cripeman - Kapow - WIP Thread

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Oh... UB... just noticed... that poor doggie's gona get tip of his tail fried. :)    Kewl.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135
    edited September 2017

Thank you, Vyusur and Bunyip.

To all.  Considering participating this month?  Wondering about the range of topics covered in Cripeman tutorials?  Dartanbeck's information manual thread gathers links to quite a few and categorizes them.  Very useful for finding what you want or sparking an idea.  See

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/233895/#Comment_233895

I have done some minor edits and updates to the first post in the thread.  The announcement now includes the Daz prizes and the PA sponsorship by Horo and David Brinnen.  There is also an announcement thread in the Art Studio Forum.  Share there as well if you choose.   https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/192631/rip-cripeman-carrara-tutorial-producer-and-tribute-challenge#latest

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Stezza said:

cool use of items... I like how this one has come out.. did you model that helmet on the dog?

Thanks Stezza.  Did not model the helmet, as I still only know enough about the model room to be dangerous.  The helmet is included in the same rocket product.

Also thanks to Bunyip and John.  Much appreciated!

wgdjohn said:

Oh... UB... just noticed... that poor doggie's gona get tip of his tail fried. :)

Nope.smiley  Those fins are vents at the top of the rocket, not exhausts (which are at the rear).  The brightness there is not a flame, but a reflection on the metal from the sun.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Delving into the next idea (Cripeman was so prolific, it sparked my creativity bug).  First is a test for a single particle emitter on an infinite plane, with a single point force which shifts direction a little and intensity, the idea is to get the effect of  lots of leaves blowing in the wind.  I made the particles diamonds and set them a very bright red color for easy visibility against the grey plane.  I probably should have popped something static just sitting in the scene, without that it gives the false impression that the camera is moving instead of sitting still.

Jonstark,  Cool.  Wonder what it might look like on a terrain... oops... don't want to give you any ideas. :)

Hmm.... wonder also if you could use Carrara leaves or model a leaf and use it.  ...there I go again. :)

Thanks wgdjohn, actually we can make the particle shader anything we want, including leaves from the trees, I'm planning on just copying the shader of some leaves from howie's trees in the end  :)  

Next is a setup of the scene, with a couple of trees, and simply testing to find what I thought would be a close approximation to parameters to make the trees really whip to show it's a windy day.  BTW I'm using Alberto's awesome Dome LightX here, my first time playing around with it, have I mentioned what an excellent plugin he gave us?  

Cool... you could parent particle emmiters to each tree.  Yep... I've got Alberto's Dome LightX.

Tremendous windy trees!

Jonstark said:

Thanks wgdjohn, actually we can make the particle shader anything we want, including leaves from the trees, I'm planning on just copying the shader of some leaves from howie's trees in the end  :)  

Next is a setup of the scene, with a couple of trees, and simply testing to find what I thought would be a close approximation to parameters to make the trees really whip to show it's a windy day.  BTW I'm using Alberto's awesome Dome LightX here, my first time playing around with it, have I mentioned what an excellent plugin he gave us?  

edited September 2017

Some volumetric clouds

Here is Cripeman's cloud tutorial

test 5 cripeman with laptop rainbow.png
    1200 x 900 - 883K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145

Jon - love those windy trees!

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,717
    th3Digit said:

I want to enter this but am very stressed out due to work and possibility I may need to find another job, so my brain has not been able to focus on one thing for long.

I wanted to honour Cripeman's memory but just feeling I cannot do him justice at the moment, just explaining in case any wondering why I have not posted anything.

am glad you went with this theme heart

Hi Wendy, hope you get things sorted out and the stress gets better (jobs can be a royal PITA).

I'm in a bit of a similar situation, to much going on in RL to really do a good tribute to Cripeman's memory. But I am poping in every no and then to catch up on the progress. Some really great stuff going on here, I'm sure he would feel honored!!! Keep up the great work everyone!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    Diomede said:

Wendy - sending positive karma your way.  wishing u the best

Here is the current status of my Frazetta and mountain of skulls project.  Combined 3 renders (photoreal, toon, NPR), and then used my render at 80% and a filter forge at 20%.  Misty's G3M Jonathan with Vyusur's Lukas character.

well that's one of your best!!

th3Digit said:

I want to enter this but am very stressed out due to work and possibility I may need to find another job, so my brain has not been able to focus on one thing for long.

I wanted to honour Cripeman's memory but just feeling I cannot do him justice at the moment, just explaining in case any wondering why I have not posted anything.

am glad you went with this theme heart

sorry to hear that Wendy. We had a hit man living at the end of the street. Unfortunately I just read he died in jail so I can't send him round to lend a hand....

edited September 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

UB - very nice, like the dog howling as well.

Jonstark - excellent.

Diomede - top render, and a nice double dedication !!!.

Wendy - hugs !!!!!

Stezza - always looking forward to your renders

Headwax, Misty, wgdjohn, PhilW, & Vyusur - hoping you enter as well.

Thanks to Horo and David Brinnen for being sponsors.

Hya I will have some time Friday I hope, I've been painting in the studio every chance I get for a few weeks for a big prize we have here. I got shortlisted last year -but I am doing 's&&&^^%$$$%^^^*t" stuff.

Here's a teddy bear tho :) sorry an ipad pic

11870799_10207545033533650_7600211610111212319_n.jpg
    720 x 960 - 146K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

He is sooooooooooo cool!

Vyusur said:

He is sooooooooooo cool!

thanks, he was fun to do, one of those days in the studio where you dont have a model , lucky George was there

The next element I'm adding to the scene is a skateboarder being blown backwards by the wind.  I also added a realistic sky and animated the clouds, though even set at the maximum possible speed (150 miles per hour) you realy can't tell they're moving at all.   

SkatboarderJustin.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
    Windy Day Skateboarder.png
    1200 x 675 - 633K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Diomede said:

Some volumetric clouds

Here is Cripeman's cloud tutorial

rainbows!!heart

edited September 2017

Thank you, HW and Misty.

@Head wax - the teddy bear is spectacular.  Good luck in the event, and hope you get a prize!

@Jonstark.  The particle leaves really sell the wind effects, and now combined with the skateboarder - whoah!  I can't wait to see it all come together.

REMINDER - special supplemental but purely optional prize for best indication of KAPOW!.

kapow toon post.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
  • Diomede said:
    Here is the current status of my Frazetta and mountain of skulls project.  Combined 3 renders (photoreal, toon, NPR), and then used my render at 80% and a filter forge at 20%.  Misty's G3M Jonathan with Vyusur's Lukas character.

Very interesting look you have achieved there, Diomede.  It reminds me a bit of an old fantasy magazine cover.

Thanks, UB.  I was definitely going for a fantasy theme.  Still time to make changes, so open to suggestions if you have them.

Diomede said:
    Here is the current status of my Frazetta and mountain of skulls project.  Combined 3 renders (photoreal, toon, NPR), and then used my render at 80% and a filter forge at 20%.  Misty's G3M Jonathan with Vyusur's Lukas character

Very interesting look you have achieved there, Diomede.  It reminds me a bit of an old fantasy magazine cover.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,008
    edited September 2017

Today's Cripeman Tutorial is

NPR

This render is incorporating a Kapow! angel

finished render is postworked in PSE14

Kapow NoPost.jpg
    1198 x 674 - 391K
    Kapow.jpg
    1198 x 674 - 897K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    Jonstark said:

short and sweet and entirely convincing

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

any recommnds from the utube music library for particle anies?

tysmileyheart

diomede thanks for the link to the cloud tutorial and for the well wishes - the 10 grand prize would be handy and help pay my studio bills :)

plus you get free dinner at a super duper richman's club for the prize giving...

Stezza said:

NPR

Stezza, brilliant as usual - the references to adam and God, Cripeman and the Alien et , et al, a lot of resonance. Plus I love the post work.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145

This just went on sale - I bet it includes a "Kapow"!

https://www.daz3d.com/comic-fx-complete?cjref=1&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate

Mistara said:

any recommnds from the utube music library for particle anies?

tysmileyheart

A music particle

some cripeman on particles  (there are more)

PhilW said:

This just went on sale - I bet it includes a "Kapow"!

https://www.daz3d.com/comic-fx-complete?cjref=1&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate

Thanks, Phil.

Stezza said:

NPR

Really terrific, Stezza, as always.    heart