Is there a way to keep feet from slipping without using IK/TH

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited August 2017 in Carrara Discussion

New thread created.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Was working on a walk cycle for DAZ tortoise - experimenting with Master Pose clips in NLA vs just posing and trying to fix in between poses and then convert to NLA.

Came across this thread - and saw the comments on IK and Target Helpers.

My assumption has been that TH's are somewhat necessary to avoid feet poking through ground plane, and to make it less tedious to lower hips and keep keet in position.

And it seems like you can use IK to position something - and then Disable it without losing that positioning - so could turn IK off to prevent fighting with it when making other adjustments (also saw mentoin about IK potentially messing up things with Surface Replicator).

Is what I said corect about IK/Target helpers for hands / feet?  Is there an additional problem with it?

Is there a way to keep feet from slipping without using IK/TH that's less tedious than rotating thigh/shin/foot - or is that an approach some people take?

Thanks for sugestions.  Trying to learn a reasonable technique to use in the future rather than just this project.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2017

Can I suggest that this should be split out and a new thread started on this topic, rather than necromancing a 5 year old thread in which all the conversation in it is referring to a previous version of Carrara.

We can split it into a new thread for you if you agree.

Thanks

Post edited by Chohole on
  • While my necromancy skills could certainly use some work, I have no objection to spliting this as a new thread :)  Thanks.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

You would match the HIP forward motion distance,.  to the feet /stride length,. until there's no visible slipping

if you make a walk /run cycle animation,. you should animate the figure legs moving "in place",.

then add a keyframe at the end of your animation for the Hip forward position.

scrub the animation,. and if needed, adjust the HIP end keyframe to shorten or lengthen the distance traveled until there's no slipping