Carrara 8.1 and win 10. Any thoughts?

Hi

I'm using Carrara 8.1 ( I purchased 8.5 but don't use it). I'm thinking of making a render farm with refurb i7 P.Cs. They all come with win 10.

Any thoughts? The win 10 machine would only be the networked farm machines not my main machine.

Thanks

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332

As much as I whine about the new Windows 10, it's actually the best windows yet - and is really easy for home networking.

Hmmm... if you don't want your Carrara 8.5, can I have it? I wonder if having two copies makes it even Faster!!!

Okay, that whole last line was an attempt at humor. I really need to go to bed! LOL

Seriously, go find JonStark's thread about render farming. He's picked up some i7's on ebay for cheap and is farming with them as well as an older HP Z600 with Win 7. Jay is also on that thread and they have some cool stuff to report.

Once they get over so many cpu cores, they needed to get Grid for Carrara

• For beeing primarily an advertising platform Windows 10 is an OK operating system also.

The only big problem people has with W10 is the ever changing OpenGL drivers, but if you want to use it as a render fram only it should work just fine I think (and if you don't have very old graphics hardware it should not be that difficult to solve any OpenGL problems either).

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited May 2017

For beeing primarily an advertising platform Windows 10 is an OK operating system also.

The only big problem people has with W10 is the ever changing OpenGL drivers, but if you want to use it as a render fram only it should work just fine I think (and if you don't have very old graphics hardware it should not be that difficult to solve any OpenGL problems either).

For those unfortunate who have an Intel HD 4000 video card and have been recently updated to Windows 10 creator, there is a well known openGL version issue (see https://communities.intel.com/thread/113216?start=15&tstart=0)

It's still unsolved. It affects Carrara, but not only (far from it). There is a lot of talk for instance in the Sketchup forum.

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 322

I have an old expensive machine with windows 10 but some how dedicated  2GB Nvidia GPU is saving the day for me.

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 322

I have to try this again but I was able to use Carrara 8.5  in Game Mode which means Windows 10 provides more resources to it