May be a version of DAZ Studio as DAZ Studio Ultimate ?

2»

Comments

• ThomasScThomasSc Posts: 125

Hi,

First, the comment on the VW car was a joke referring to the VW scandal in Germany wink

Second, if you feel the software works for you, that's great smiley

Third, software, written with the usability of the 90s doesn't work for me. crying

So, I really understand your points. It's just that I cannot use it... and feel that the software needs a really big update cool

Best wishes,
    Thomas

• Back in the days after DAZ aquired Carrara and Hexagon, one of the main Marketing guy  that came from Eovia suggested that DAZ should combine all products into 1 such as Carrara. He did call Carrara the Flagship application for DAZ but not everyone at daz was onboard with that idea. I'm very sure the ones that develop DAZ Studio didn't think it was a good idea nor did they think of Carrara as the Flagship application.

For me that would have been  the best idea as it stand today we have not seen any new developments for Bryce, Hexagon and Carrara in over 3 years.

Ringo

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 322
    edited March 2017

This would have been perfect since Carrara is sort of all in one application. 3D graphics code in a nut shell is not that different (although time and resources still needed) and hope DAZ can combine best of all of its products into single package one at a time with its talented team and possibly also outsourcing by utilizing developers like inagoni  and digitalcarversguild etc. alongside its internal talented team. And may be partnering with other software companies e.g, parternership similar between Microsoft and Adobe/Microsoft and Unity.

​Microsoft is becoming more open and open source these days as well. DAZ should be able to reach out to Apple and Microsoft without any issues since these two companies are now focusing on creators.

Post edited by Samuel S. on

The reality is that it would be more work to move features from Carrara to DS compared to just starting from scratch and implement it in DS, the code base for Carrara is almost 30 years old and little have changed, almost nothing would be even close to compatible with the infrastructure of the DS geometry engine.

And that is a pity, the renderer in Carrara (based on the Infini-D renderer) is still today a cool piece of software that was ahead of it's time.

DS is the flagship and that is where the resources go, Carrara just get some nuggets here and there, the best thing for it would be if it would go open source and let some interested people take over it, but that never happen to this kind of software, it is always burried deep when that day come (don't generate any revenue), look at TrueSpace and others.

I think DAZ may consider open sourcing of non-core components of Carrara under any of the open source licenses that deem fit to them; this will be a great help for Carrara's maintenance and enhancements for existing components. Unreal, Cry Engine and .Net core are some recent good examples of open source.

•  

Unreal, Cry Engine and .Net core are some recent good examples of open source.

Technically, Unreal and CryEngine, are not open source, nobody, but their respective owners can distibute it, and they charge certain procentage if the product (i.e. game) is successful enough (more then $3000/month  for Unreal).

Blender is a true example of the open source software wink

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,418

@ Head wax:

By the way, thank you for suggesting me the use of VWD some time ago. Before, I had to export to other software as Blender and reimport to Carrara. VWD gives me a faster and easier workflow.

Unreal, Cry Engine and .Net core are some recent good examples of open source.

Technically, Unreal and CryEngine, are not open source, nobody, but their respective owners can distibute it, and they charge certain procentage if the product (i.e. game) is successful enough (more then $3000/month  for Unreal).

Blender is a true example of the open source software wink

Thanks, open source does not necessarily mean free. Blender's is a good example but if you look at details it looks like they are using some other components which have different open source license types. For example, the Blender Cycles rendering engine is available as Apache 2.0. Blender also uses many modules or libraries from other projects. For example, Python uses the Python License; Bullet uses the Zlib License; Libmv uses the MIT License; and OSL, a BSD License.

• I know, I use open source software all the time, Blender and GIMP ...

Here are some differences:

https://choosealicense.com/licenses/

They pretty much all allow: commercial use, distribution, modification, patent use and private use.

smiley

Cool, thanks for sharing following site:

https://choosealicense.com/licenses/

It does help to understand various types of open source licenses.

Also this is a good time for DAZ to capture indie and hobbyist market by just even adding some minor features to Carrara and then marketing it very well.

​There are millions of indie game developers out there who may will love it. Big companies can hire fulltime professional artists but it is not an option for some indies

and many hobbyists therefore DAZ and Carrara suite them well.

Just wondering if DAZ has some type of paternership with AutoDesk etc. Here we see Maya being shown for Artist Tools instead of Carrara.

https://www.morph3d.com/artist-tools

edited March 2017

Here we can see that Maya is being shown for Artist Tools instead of Carrara or DAZ Studio.

Good stuff but probably Carrara or DAZ Studio could have been used here to attract new customers.

Here is a mentioning of 3dx max etc. for rendering:

Post edited by Samuel S. on

Glad to see that DAZ and its talented Engineers are still innovating. Here is a good example:

https://www.morph3d.com/

Nice to see Content Creation in DAZ: