Universal tool giving me the run around, please help

DanielfisherartDanielfisherart Posts: 18
edited December 2016 in New Users

Hi, I've lost the ability to click on spacific body parts with the universal tool and any other tools, I can do it via the parimetres pane but with the universal tool highlighted I can not click on a body part in the viewport and drag and move it anymore, it's just stopped working? please help as this is my main way of working and now I'm stuck.

Post edited by Danielfisherart on

Comments

• I've read through factory reset infos but I dont seem to have these options either, can I easily reinstall all my purchases if I reinstall daz studio?

• Does it still seelct teh figure, just not a bone on the figure? If so you have probably set Node Selection Mode to Root Node Only, in the Tool Settings pane. It needs to be Root Node First (the default, selects the figure if neither it nor one of its bones are selected) or Node (always selects the bone clicked on, double-click to select the figure).

• can I easily reinstall all my purchases if I reinstall daz studio?

Not necessary; your installed content and the content database is not affected when you reinstall DAZ|Studio. If you have any plugins beyond the set that comes included in the D|S installer, you might need to reinstall them as well, but that's all.

• Does it still seelct teh figure, just not a bone on the figure? If so you have probably set Node Selection Mode to Root Node Only, in the Tool Settings pane. It needs to be Root Node First (the default, selects the figure if neither it nor one of its bones are selected) or Node (always selects the bone clicked on, double-click to select the figure).

Hey thank you very much for the reply, I tried playing around with the node root options but still not working how it use to, I used to be able to move the mouse directly over a body part and hit the right mouse button and hold and it would just select that part and let me move it with the universal tool or rotate tool for example

• Hey thank you very much for the reply, I tried playing around with the node root options but still not working how it use to, I used to be able to move the mouse directly over a body part and hit the right mouse button and hold and it would just select that part and let me move it with the universal tool or rotate tool for example

I think you mean the left mouse button? The right would only bring up the context menu.

Anyway, just wanted to debunk a myth here: re-installing the program will not necessarily reset any changes you made to the interface or its settings. Simply because if you would re-install then the software will be replaced but your settings would simply retain, also because those are stored in a different location. I'd start by trying to reset a few settings. Try: Windows (menu) => Viewspace => Select layout. That gives you the ability to pick another (or the same) layout for the program which should also undo any changes you may have made to the settings.

Another approach, but I'm not 100% sure if this would also affect settings such as your tool settings, is to use F3 and the default option there.

Please keep in mind that this will reset a lot of (possibly) custom changes you may have made. If you didn't customize much then I suppose there's not much of an issue, otherwise you should be careful.

Just to make sure: you can still use your mouse to open/close panes and select menu's and such? Because I can't help wonder if the cause of the problem isn't somewhere else.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I think the Universal Tool or any selection tools has trouble if you use certain DAZ Store products that make a sheet of snow falling from the sky; e.g. the no longer available "iRay Ice, Snow, & Ashes" product made it very difficult to select models on than it in a scene - you had to go to the Scene Tab and 'close the eye' for the snow scene to reliably choose other models in your scene with it.

Are you using a similar product?

• Ok thanks again for the replies, I still havent worked this out, I might add that I use a macbook pro and that this happens even with a straight up plain genisus character. I'm just reading through the manual now and admit I know little about the functions as Ive just been intuitively been using the program.

I just want to point the pointer directly to a body part such as pictured and be able to select it, this highlighted section disapears if I move the pointer to it, I have to hover about "off" of the characted and kinda hope it finds it's way to the body part. oh man I know this is so easy I think I'm just making it confusing for you all.

You know if you go to full service beta layout and by defualt that actor icon is selected and then you can just cruise around with your mouse pointer and click on a hand or a foot and it selects that part? thats what I'm after but with the universal tool.

Much appreciation for your help :) :)

Thanks

Dan

Double-clicking on the body part you want to select usually will select a sub-part rather than the entire model.

• Double-clicking on the body part you want to select usually will select a sub-part rather than the entire model.

Double-click selects the whole figure for me, and as far as I am aware that's the normal behaviour.

edited December 2016

Double-clicking on the body part you want to select usually will select a sub-part rather than the entire model.

Double-click selects the whole figure for me, and as far as I am aware that's the normal behaviour.

Not for me. I guess need to check that one of the hard shutdowns haven't changed my mouse config I guess. And my USB ports have been running hot enough to cause attached devices to drop out of site occasionally during DAZ Studio renders. Think I need a new cheap desktop to do DAZ renders on instead.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Right click on the figure and check "Enable IK"! ;)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874

Not for me. 

+1  Double click selects the specific bone for me too. I use it a LOT. 

• smb675smb675 Posts: 12

I am having the same issue but when I load a new gen8 character the body part selection is normal...I am using nvidia gforce rtx 3090 ti gpu, daz is set for gpu only. The ability just stopped with this saved character all I can select is the head. I can select everything else in the scene.

Scott