Assigning a different shader/material to different polys

I have had Carrara for awhile, but decided to give the modeling room a try (ver 8.5) and the UI is really throwing me off. I have a model that I want to assign a different texture/material to a few select polys. Is there a way to take the selected polys and create a new object (detach?) since I know how to assign a new master shader to a new object outside of the modeling room. Or is there a way to assign a new shader to the polys I selected?

Comments

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 246

Select your desired polys, go to global, click on add to assign a new shading domain.  

global.jpg
    1908 x 1027 - 583K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135

There is often more than one way to do something in Carrara.  You can add a new shading domain under the model tab.

yy02 model tab new shading domain.jpg
    1468 x 916 - 185K
  • namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 246
    diomede said:

There is often more than one way to do something in Carrara.  You can add a new shading domain under the model tab.

Oh!! i wasn't know that way!! Thanks Diomede!

In addition, remember you can edit your uv's too 

Carrara's user manual is very friendly and give you a quick understanding of modeling room. Grettings!

adicionalmente.jpg
    1837 x 846 - 426K
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,729

Thanks all!! much easier than I expected, just had to find the right buttons.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited December 2016

I learned this awhile back from watching a Cripeman video for Modeling a barrel using the lathe tool.  Note that I try to add shader Domains after modeling since there are a few functions which can mess them up as well as mess up any names you've assigned to polygons etc.  There is no warning that this will happen so I save often.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    wgdjohn said:

I learned this awhile back from watching a Cripeman video for Modeling a barrel using the lathe tool.  Note that I try to add shader Domains after modeling since there are a few functions which can mess them up as well as mess up any names you've assigned to polygons etc.  There is no warning that this will happen so I save often.

I learned it the same way as FSMCDesigns. Came in here and asked... Is there a way to...? ;)  

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

You just have to remember actually to set up those domains afterwards! "Oh wait, I thought I'd set that up as a separate domain..." is a whole bunch of extra work after you've already exported, imported the model into DS, weight-mapped and rigged it... (ask me what I've been doing this week!)

Oh and spelling. As a writer of some standing (but more sitting...) it bugs me when I misspell a domain or a part etc. Note to self: Caster: a small wheel on the bottom of something, a kind of sugar, a user of spells. Castor: a kind of oil, a star, brother of Pollux, a small village near Cambridge, but not any kind of wheel...

At least I do better with hanger and hangar!