Help with Terradome 2 inside Carrara

2»

Comments

• and a Triax converted Genesis 3 saved as a cr2 DSON imports!!!

and can use Mimic pro

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

the new comic rendering is my current bait on that one, good softbody now too. so many apps, so little brain!

I've been so DS-centric with my mimic use, I hadn't really thought about using the PP2 exports in their own native "tongue" - heh. I'm oblivious sometimes.

lol

--ms

• I wonder if it would be worth it to get the non Pro version of Poser as it's much cheaper.  I know it wouldn't have some of the extra rooms like the cloth room, but it would still have access to the rendering engine and the toon stuff, wouldn't it?  What other features are missing with the stripped down version, anyone know?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332

I've seen a really cheap download version on Amazon which doesn't include the many GBs of content.

So... I take it the TerraDome2 doesn't load intoi Carrara? I didn't realize that. I thought the problem was only with the textures.

If we could get the product and its morphs to load into Carrara, we could just use Carrara's Terrain shaders on it.

Yeah... this thing looks realy cool - it does. But I'd think hard before buying Poser if you're only getting it to see if it 'might' work to create a work-aeound for this one product.

Personally, I liked the fact that I have Poser when I first got into Carrara. I used the walk cycle system and it came in handy if something made for Poser didn't work in Carrara - I could open it in Poser and save it some other way that would make it more Carrara friendly. It would alos be handy to have if you ever want to make Poser content to sell or give away - nice to have the target software.

But the more I got used to Carrara, the less and less I ever open Poser. Not trying to keep anyone away from buying Poser - just trying to plead that somebody doesn't buy it for the wrong reasons. If TerraDome doesn't work, take the loss and move on. 

I'm a tinkerer, so I know that I'll try TerraDome in my copy of Poser 7 and see about saving out a version (CR2) that might work better in Carrara, as well as saving off some Pose files for adjusting the morphs. 

I have to say, however, that while TD is very cool and has a LOT of supplemental support products, Carrara is SO much more vast with its Realistic Sky editor and Terrain tools. We can build scenes very quickly however we want.

This doesn't change my mind towards wanting to see if I can make this work - for myself. I just really hope that this FREE offering doesn't cause someone to go spend 70 to five hundred bucks on software. Poser can be great if you really want it. But much less so if it doesn't end up doing something iffy. 

I'm in the middle of some important work right now - otherwise I'd just hop in on this and see if i can give some answers to all of this. Maybe soon I can.

I wonder if it would be worth it to get the non Pro version of Poser as it's much cheaper.  I know it wouldn't have some of the extra rooms like the cloth room, but it would still have access to the rendering engine and the toon stuff, wouldn't it?  What other features are missing with the stripped down version, anyone know?

If you're into animation of folks like V4, M4 and the like (any figure that works in Poser) the cheaper version of Poser CAN be really nice to have.

Like for myself, I might not ever use the extra features of the more expensive Pro version (though some of those tools do look tempting) just the Walk Designer alone is worth a lot to me.

And not just the Walk Designer itself, but also the way we can save the animated Pose files in Poser (into PZ2 pose files) is really slick!

I don't think any of this has even changed since Poser 7, hence my never upgrading - and that's my biggest use of Poser.

But even the lesser priced Poser has that Walk Designer. We can plot down a simple (or even not-so-simple) motion path and set the Walk Designer to have the character walk the path with various ways of designing how the character behaves along the way - like does the figure always look at the end of the path or is she always looking foward. It's not the best solution for walking animations. It has some strange motions/posing of the figure that are hard to counter unless we can make our own Walk Desinger set that works better. Nerd3D has some Walk Designer files that add wonders to the system. Perhaps there are more now.

Since I've picked up GoFigure's aniBlock sets for Walk Construction, I've not returned to the Walk Designer in Poser and have done everything right within Carrara instead. Yeah, making ones own walk cycles is a great practice to learn, if one wants to become a professional animator. But it's so incredibly easy to use aniBlocks that I prefer using the power of professional MoCap - and GoFigure's aniBlocks are professionally adapted MoCap - so are PoserMoCap's files.

If you have the aniBlock importer for Carrara, aniMate 2 in Daz Studio is an excellent platform. I'm not sure of the differences between the free version and the bought version, since I bought it when it first came out - but it works really nice for blending aniBlocks and then saving new ones, tweaking them for specific shoes or for specific characters, etc., we can also use aniMate 2 to make aniBlocks of our own. GoFigure has some great instructional videos

Here's a MoCap session for GoFigure's Matial Arts aniBlocks kits

• Well, I could load Terradome 2 into Carrara, I just couldn't figure out how to do anything with any of the morphs or anything once inside Carrara.  I'm not exactly sure I was using it correctly.  At some point, I'll load it up again and show some screenshots of what I'm getting.  Maybe someone can help me figure it out.  I'm sure part of the problem is because I'm still just learning how to use it.  The other part might be incompatibility, but I don't know for sure since I'm still learning how to use Carrara.

I love animating, not very good at it yet.  I have most of the aniblocks that I've been able to get while on deep discounts over the last two years.  I've played with it some, but there has been so much to learn that I never seem to sit and figure it out all in one go.  I'll get there some day soon.  I found a great list things to do while you are learning animation.  Simple exercises like making a ball bounce and stuff like that so I'll be going through all of those soon.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 8,008

after importing the saved poser file with morphs that have been injected into it

select the AZone in the instances tab Scene and in the Parameters tab you will see lots of sliders you can fiddle with smiley

tdstuff.jpg
    911 x 755 - 82K
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

I love animating, not very good at it yet.  I have most of the aniblocks that I've been able to get while on deep discounts over the last two years.  I've played with it some, but there has been so much to learn that I never seem to sit and figure it out all in one go.  I'll get there some day soon.  I found a great list things to do while you are learning animation.  Simple exercises like making a ball bounce and stuff like that so I'll be going through all of those soon.

You're not alone on that sentiment! So much to learn, and so much fun to experiment. I'm enjoying the trek, if not completely overwhelmed realizing the more I learn, the more there is to learn... (btw, Philw's Carrara animation tutorial just came out - main daz store page, etc.!)

cheers,

--ms

• Yeah, I saw that!  I had to put it on the wishlist for now, but it looks like a must buy item.  I really loved the little robot video that he had on the store page.  That was crazy cute!  :)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145

I really loved the little robot video that he had on the store page.  That was crazy cute!  :)

Thanks! I wanted to give a fully worked example to answer the "well who is he to be giving this advice" type question!

edited December 2016
    PhilW said:

I really loved the little robot video that he had on the store page.  That was crazy cute!  :)

Thanks! I wanted to give a fully worked example to answer the "well who is he to be giving this advice" type question!

I can answer that one:

Why, he's Wilkes...

Phil Wilkes

But you can call him: Professor. 

Enter a world of where questions become answered fully and visually - even before such questions might arise.

Enter a world where, no matter how advanced we might be, we can always get some really valuable workflow tips, clarification on settings and parameters, get a look inside features we've yet to explore.

Enter a world where, even though the Professor shows us exactly how to do it for ourselves, he still provides the goods that we can use - in case we need additional 'workshop' style views of what's going on, directly within the software - or are just too lazy to build it ourselves! LOL   There's a lot of content that comes with his Carrara educational courses!

Enter a world where we get one-on-one lessons with a very patient and thorough educator - one which allows us to learn what we want, when we want, and at our own pace. During this time we find out how very easy everything really is in Carrara once we see how it's done, what settings to begin with, and what to do next.

Ladies and Gentlemen, a proudly introduce: Professor Phil Wilkes!

Here's a little article I've written regarding his other fascinating courses ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

In fact, if you've ever wanted to become a 3d modeler, I recommend Advanced Carrara Techniques.

Follow the modeling lessons and you'll come out the other end with enough skills to become proficient in building anything you might want or need.

One of these days I really need to build that Sopwith Camel (British Biplane) 

Not only will I get the experience of building in that way, but I'll also get some good experience with Fenric's ERC for Carrara plugin, which he also explains as a means of controlling all of the flaps through just controlling one of them. All of the flaps and their connecting wires follow our movements.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,145
    edited December 2016

Very kind of you, Dart! But for some time, I would get requests for a course on animation and while I had done lots of small clips, I hadn't had the experience of putting together a complete commercial project.  It was only once I had done the animation on "Trick or Treat" that I felt I had enough experience - and had learned a bunch of stuff in doing that which I could pass on - that I could put together an animation course with some real conviction that I knew what I was talking about!  I really wish that "Trick or Treat" would be made public, maybe one day. I think people would be very surprised that it was done in just Carrara (and rendered with Carrara as well).  But it did earn me my own entry on IMDB as the animator on that one!!

Post edited by PhilW on
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 527

and a Triax converted Genesis 3 saved as a cr2 DSON imports!!!

and can use Mimic pro

More info on that , if you don't mind