Animation club Week #4 starting, Story Decided . Tango Alpha's Sea Escape story.

Comments

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821

Thanks guys for the files and the plates are looking good wgdjohn , they are perfect as they are.

I am going to work on a storyboard of the animation to nail down the story a bit more.. I watched some videos on how people do storyboards , it is amazing how close the storyboard follows the finished film.   Once I am done I will ask for feedback about how the story flows or works. 

Here is the first sheet of the storyboard and hopefully it is clear.  The blue lines with arrows show how the camera moves throughout the shot and the red arrows show object movement.  There should be another 8 or 9 panels to the animation for a total of  15 shots.  Thats alot ,  oh well.  

StoryboardTangoAlphaSheet1.jpg
    1800 x 1013 - 253K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Mike,  The more the merrier. ;)

Did you already model the table?  I was going to model one very similar but will hold up until I hear back.

I didn't model a table, the table I have in my storyboard is just a very quick model or temporary model just to make the storyboard.

wgdjohn said:

Mike,  The more the merrier. ;)

Did you already model the table?  I was going to model one very similar but will hold up until I hear back.

Cool... I'll get to work on one similar to the one in the storyboard and to match length of TA's bench.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135

I can model the swinging light fixtures if not taken yet.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332

Wow... very cool!

Argh... busy, busy, Busy! 

Love the interior shot, that ship, the benches and characters - plates too! Very nice work, all!!!

Table is finished. Shown below with TangoAlpha's Bench.  Not that I made it waay to large. I loaded TA's Bench scene so that I could make sure the length and thickness for the table top that I made was the same... afterwards I copy/pasted that into an empty medium scene and designed the legs.  Imagine my surprise when I later copy/pasted TA's Bench for the render below only to find that my table was huge.  That is my fault... the table did not keep it's size... it's probably 50-80ft long instead of 8ft. :(   Oh well... I did make the width the same as one of the standards for rectangular restaurant tables. Please let me know if there is any problem and I'll resize or re-model it as I should have done in the first place.

For shaders... the table top is a tiny bit reflective.

zip
    zip
    WGD_Table.zip
    Table 5.png
    640 x 480 - 202K

Here are the last to storyboard sheets. Hopefully it makes sense to you you guys. 

StoryboardTangoAlphaSheet2.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 187K
    StoryboardTangoAlphaSheet3.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 157K

Sounds great .

diomede said:

I can model the swinging light fixtures if not taken yet.

Very nice storyboards!

I'd make the last two sentences of the last panel fill the final two panels on the page, however. Like:

5 - Boat stops as it hits shore (would be great to capture a separate shot for this - perhaps from the profile of the front of the boat resting up onto the shore)

6 - Camera on survivors as they wake and see land

Same with 5 from the first board image - would be cool to see the lifeboat freefall into the ocean from under the water 

Probably just muddying the waters though. Ignore me! LOL

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    wgdjohn said:

Table is finished. Shown below with TangoAlpha's Bench.  Not that I made it waay to large. I loaded TA's Bench scene so that I could make sure the length and thickness for the table top that I made was the same... afterwards I copy/pasted that into an empty medium scene and designed the legs.  Imagine my surprise when I later copy/pasted TA's Bench for the render below only to find that my table was huge.  That is my fault... the table did not keep it's size... it's probably 50-80ft long instead of 8ft. :(   Oh well... I did make the width the same as one of the standards for rectangular restaurant tables. Please let me know if there is any problem and I'll resize or re-model it as I should have done in the first place.

Yeah sorry, the bench was made in Small scale. Divide/multiply by 12 and it should match up to Medium scale objects.

Hey Dart,   yes this will work .  If we get to this point we can do this, there is going to be lots of big hurdles to jump in this animation.

Very nice storyboards!

I'd make the last two sentences of the last panel fill the final two panels on the page, however. Like:

5 - Boat stops as it hits shore (would be great to capture a separate shot for this - perhaps from the profile of the front of the boat resting up onto the shore)

Here is an image of the cafeteria table with the benches and plates etc.   Just need some cutlery and ketchup/mustard bottles and the table is done.wink 

wdgjohn, I reworked the textures a little on the table and plates a little bit, I hope you don't mind.  Overall I think this is looking good.  I will model  some emergency lights and the speaker system next. 

CafetTablePrelim.jpg
    1169 x 880 - 126K
    edited December 2016
    wgdjohn said:

Yeah sorry, the bench was made in Small scale. Divide/multiply by 12 and it should match up to Medium scale objects.

Thanks TA.  No problem... I thought it was probably due to scale you modeled in... either that or metrics. :)  May I ask why "by 12"?  Just for fun I was in the middle of changing the table and legs to inches instead of feet to see what happens.   When modeling the dinnerware, in medium scene, I wondered about this and want to bring it up in my modeling thread... once I gather enough info to know what I'm talking about and what to ask.

mmoir said:
    wdgjohn, I reworked the textures a little on the table and plates a little bit, I hope you don't mind.  Overall I think this is looking good.  I will model  some emergency lights and the speaker system next. 

No problem Mike... I don't mind a bit...  my shaders are worse than my modeling.  Yours are great looking.  I bought a table setting the other day for 2 reasons... I liked the different plate design and it had flatware... perhaps I'll get an idea of how to model flatware.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

"Small" works on a base scale of 1 inch, and "Medium" works on a base scale of 1 foot. 12 inches = 1 foot. So when moving meshes between them multiply or divide by 12 depending on which way you're going.

BTW, "Large" scale has 1 unit as 3000 feet, which is 1000 yards, 5 furlongs or about half a mile.

Doh!  Thanks again TA.

mmoir said:

there is going to be lots of big hurdles to jump in this animation.

Very nice storyboards!

Yeah. Big time!

Man... you guys are doing an excellent job on this!

Agreed, that's looking really good!

Here is the Corridor outside the mess hall.  It still needs texturing work and a few more modeling touches but it is pretty close to done.

CorridorPrelim.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 81K

Mike you always amaze me.

I went back and looked at the list of things needed.  If nobody has taken it I can see what I can come up with for a life vest tomorrow.  Today I went another direction and came up with a life bouy... don't know if you can use it or not.  I'm not happy with it as is, it needs to be entirely redesigned, but it should work ok. Let me know if you want to use it and I'll add a few morphs for the rope.

LifeBouy_03.png
    640 x 480 - 47K
    zip
    zip
    LifeBouy.zip
    edited December 2016

Great work, everyone.  Lifesaver looks great.  If it is not too late, here is a lamp that can hang from the hallway ceiling.  If you want it to sway, I have included bones but have not attached them to the mesh.  Shaders are procedural.  Hope they transfer.

zip
    zip
    Zip Lamp Hanging Boat Animation Group.zip
    Zip Lamp Test Render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
    Lamp Mesh.JPG
    1248 x 963 - 99K
    Lamp Test render 2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    Post edited by Diomede on

The lifesaver will work great . Thanks.

wgdjohn said:

Mike you always amaze me.

I went back and looked at the list of things needed.  If nobody has taken it I can see what I can come up with for a life vest tomorrow.  Today I went another direction and came up with a life bouy... don't know if you can use it or not.  I'm not happy with it as is, it needs to be entirely redesigned, but it should work ok. Let me know if you want to use it and I'll add a few morphs for the rope.

The light looks great Diomede. thanks..

diomede said:

Great work, everyone.  Lifesaver looks great.  If it is not too late, here is a lamp that can hang from the hallway ceiling.  If you want it to sway, I have included bones but have not attached them to the mesh.  Shaders are procedural.  Hope they transfer.

If anyone wants to model a ketchup bottle and a mustard bottle that would be great.

Mike, Diomede, ...Thanks!

Diomede,  Lamp looks great... while making the lifesaver I was thinking about twisted rope like you made the cord for the lamp. Haven't yet come up with anything looking as good as your cord.

edited December 2016

I "cheated" for the cord.  What I should have done is insert 3 ovals in the vertex modeler, arranged in a tight triangle, selected all, copied, raised the z axis, pasted, rotated the new pasted ovals, copied, raised the z axis, and pasted - and then used loft.  Or, I should have inserted an oval, and then used a polyline to create a curving and rising sweep path.

Instead, I used the spline modeler.  It has a spiral in the geometry extrusion presets.  I then just used the Edit : Convert to other Modeler option in the Assemble room to convert the cord to a vertex object.  Converting the cord was not necessary to animate, but I thought other animation club folks would expect vertex objects.

Post edited by Diomede on

If no one else wants to, I can model the ketchup and mustard. 

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited December 2016

I have one very simple bottle (for ketchup and mustard)  I used for one of my projects with normal and dirt maps included, it is in OBJ format ...

Here is download link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4V0tbmTYNaSNFdtWnJIb1BtMDg/view?usp=sharing

Cheers smiley

KB.jpg
    428 x 659 - 20K
    Post edited by FifthElement on

FifthElement ,  Thanks . It looks perfect. 

I have one very simple bottle (for ketchup and mustard)  I used for one of my projects with normal and dirt maps included, it is in OBJ format ...

Here is download link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4V0tbmTYNaSNFdtWnJIb1BtMDg/view?usp=sharing

Cheers smiley