Loading G2F, Genesis, V4, etc. in Carrara -- questions of speed

2»

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2016
    wgdjohn said:

MW,  Just loaded G2 base that I'd save earlier... timed load time at 6-7 secs instead of 3.5 seconds. Waay kewl.

Is it possible to make subfolders under My Objects? I can see myself making Carrara native versions of my people, hair, clothing, props, etc., just for ease of loading. Of course the My Objects tab would quickly become cluttered if I put all these custom objects on the same level.

I've not tried this yet but know that it is possible as others have done it.  You can create your own custom folders and subfolders... ones for figures, clothing, hair etc.

Up next on my Carrara wishlist is Country Lane 2 [of course by HowieFarkes] and Country Lane Autumnia. Swap out the beeches for some maples; put a covered bridge over that stream, and you have the postcard view of the Vermont countryside that we like to present to the world. [Cow plops not included.] I should probably just get HowieFarkes' whole catalog...

You might want to grab the bundle with those instead...Country Lane - Super Bundle... bundles are less expensive in the long run... how silly am I... you likely know that already. :)  Don't leave out other Carrara PAs like...

PhilWmmoir, RingoMonfort, TangoAlpha, DartanbeckGKDantas, Fenric, Tim Payne, DimensionTheoryGoFigure, xenic101, Holyforest, and others like MatCreator, Sadot, and Larsen... surely I'm leaving many out, sorry if I missed someone.

Re subfolders in My Objects -- nice to know that it can be done. I just can't figure out how. Right clicking doesn't bring up any useful contextual options, and the My Objects window doesn't have a New Folder creation button [unless I'm completely missing something].

As Phil stated... you would first create the folder and any subfolders using Windoze Exploder... oops Windows Explorer, or what ever program you currently add folders with... I use Directory Opus. I'm glad Phil pointed out I could use "Update Folder"... I'd never tried that. Oh... to update folder use the black circle at far right corner of your Carrara browser.

Yes, I have the Lane 2/Autumnia bundle on my wishlist already! I opted for that one over Country Lane because it more closely resembles the dirt roads around here [minus hedgerows -- we don't have those in Vermont]. I have no wish to leave out any other Carrara content creators; I'm just focusing on HowieFarkes because his models look like where I live in a way that no one else's do. In fact, that's primarily why I got into Carrara.

--MW

The vendors I listed are more or less in order of what you might be interested in... PhilW, mmoir, TangoAlpha and Dartanbeck all have scenes among other products that you might find of interest. RingoMonfort has a bundle of G2 skin shaders I'm waiting to go on sale... Holyforest and GKDantas are both for shaders, Fenric is great for useful plug-ins that makes things easier/able to do in Carrara.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    3DAGE said:

Unified brain ,. I'm not that 3D-Age.  sorry.

OK.  Hope you weren't offended. smiley

I'm pretty familiar with the explanations that you wrote.  But it never hurts to review.

3DAGE said:
    you can select multple bones,. EG: Both hands,. and move them at the same time.
    3DAGE said:

you can right click over an object in your scene to get a list of objects under the mouse,. EG: bones in a figure's hand.

then select the object from that list.

I didn't know either of those, thanks!  Way easier than I how I have done it so far.

3DAGE said:
    Simple things like reflection maps for eye's, which carrara doesn't need,. the eyes can reflect the objects in the carrara scene.

I've heard that before, but not sure what I need to do at that level yet.

3DAGE said:
    If there's something in Carrara that you're having difficulty with,. or something that you think is different from what you're used to doing in studio,. maybe you could help us out by highlighting those areas,. and I'll try to help.

Fair enough.  Before asking a bunch of questions, I wanted to do some tutorials first, and see how much I could learn.  Even so, I'm currently making a list.  smiley

3DAGE said:

Also,.. whether you come from Studio,. Poser,  some other 3D software,. or nothing at all,. there's a learning curve for all things new,.

Of course.  My complaint is that I believe that it is harder here than it needs to be.  And the blame for that squarely rests with Daz, not the people here who are putting in the effort to help others.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087

the first thing you should always do before saving any D|S scene or subset duf is put figure to base resolution.

you can redo the subdivision  sliders in Carrara after, just the render one even but it makes a hellava difference loading and using it as otherwise it loads fully subdivided (I know this from the Octane plugin or hair room) any autofitted saved in D|S clothes too!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,135

Never knew this.  Thanks.

ToeJam said:

the first thing you should always do before saving any D|S scene or subset duf is put figure to base resolution.

you can redo the subdivision  sliders in Carrara after, just the render one even but it makes a hellava difference loading and using it as otherwise it loads fully subdivided (I know this from the Octane plugin or hair room) any autofitted saved in D|S clothes too!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332
    wgdjohn said:

Without reading all of the responses (gotta go - no time right now), I have to add something very important to understand about Genesis and Carrara:

Once we load in one Genesis figure, which can take a bit of time sometimes, a second Genesis of the same type will load extremely fast! Unreal!

V4 loads in quite a bit quicker, I think. But the next V4 will take the same amount of time to load in. The same goes for figures like Loretta LoRez and the like.

When it comes to Genesis - it's really handy for filling scenes full of people, since it can be Male or Female and still wear nearly anything we own, and can take on so many personal traits - we can have entirely different people made for the same figure.

This power is expontentially beneficial when every one after the first loads in like a text message (forgive the slight exaggeration! LOL) 

...and they save nicely to the browser too.

I'm a big Generation 4 fan. Love V4 and M4 and the rest. And I just Love Genesis! Fantastic figure!

Dart,  I wonder why load in a second figure instead of using copy/paste?  Thanks for pointing out the benefits of Genesis as well as Generation 4. I can see a much larger use for each... goodness knows I've enough content for both. Perhaps I'll use them or even simpler/lower poly models in the background.

I take it you've never tried to copy/paste figures? Same with Duplicate. These are things that just don't work on figures. Besides, loading in new ones from the library gives the added benefit of loading in Character presets and the like.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Not offended at all,. it's a question i'm asked occasionally,.

at one point,. when i was a PA here at Daz3D, it became slightly annoying to be asked how to adjust underpants which i didn't make. :)

3DAGE said:

Simple things like reflection maps for eye's, which carrara doesn't need,. the eyes can reflect the objects in the carrara scene.

I've heard that before, but not sure what I need to do at that level yet.

In Carrara's shader room,. any multichannel shader will have a channel for Transparency,. a channel for Reflection, and a channel for the Index of Refraction,. 

those can be used to create materials like glass or liquids,. and the slightly reflective wet surface of the eyes :)

open up a new scene,. add some basic objects and then jump into the shader room and start experimenting with shaders, anything you like can be dragged and saved to the browser. or saved with the scene.

I'll look forward to your list smiley

Hope it helps

Andy