Why should DAZ Studio User try Carrara?

12346»

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    Jonstark said:

Part of my hesitation with DIM is that there are things I don't want to be installed on my computer anywhere, lots of content I've gotten for free in the Daz store that I don't really want and I don't want to eat up space.  Moreover, I convert content I do want into Carrara objects and save them separately, then clean out the Daz/Poser original version I'll never use, and I don't want DIM re-installing stuff I've already converted and saved elsewhere, again eating up more space.

For things I don't want to install - at least not yet - I right-click (in DIM) and Hide it.

I love DIM!

I've made a really nice setup for installing things exactly where I want them installed. If I want to move something, I do it with DIM via Uninstall, then re-install to it's new directory ;)

Good Grief... a Hide feature... cool.  Is there also a way to UnHide as well?  Suppose there is.

Regarding Uninstalling... I have done this for Carrara 8.5 Pro a few times... I've had to set-up folders/directories again in Carrara... I also un-installed anything Carrara related.  Is there a way to retain custom folders if I later get a larger Hard Drive and move all Carrara, DAZ3D content to?  I'm thinking there is a file in Carrara which points to the custom folders but know not what it's name might be.

edited October 2016

Me neither - I just buy a bigger hard drive and keep everything downloaded & installed! (It does have the advantage that I can point DIM on my second machine to the firs machine's download folder, and I never have to download anything twice)

I've downloaded everything twice... when I started using DIM... took only a couple of days then... probably take a week now. Either way it was not fun. In hopes of getting around this in DIM I have the "Ready To Install" page set to "Delete After Insall" unchecked so I retain the zip files that DIM would need to install the files. Do it this way so that I also have a copy of the files needed for installation.  Hopefully I understand that correctly... I'd rather not download manually AND download via DIM.. except of course for the very few that only have a manual install option

I keep everything installed also... might wait a bit longer to load DS or Carrara libraries but worth it to me.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

.Hi John :)

In Carrara,. Your own items, (saved to the browser) are saved into the My Docments/Daz3d/Carrara/My Presets/

Any "user customisation" to Carrara are kept in the "Preferences" file,.  Users/ App Data / Roaming / Daz3d / Carrara

I'm not sure if that saves custom folders you add you the browser.

In DIM ,. it only keeps a record of programs it installs,. it doesn't know anything about your own items,. or any custom folders you may create after installing the software.

Downloading products manually should be an Option,.....Some users still like to do things manually. 

It's not needed if you're using DIM. (except in cases where the product isn't avaliable in Dim yet).

Dim shows you all of your purchased products,. but there's no need to download all of those items in your library and install them.

You can be smart when using DIM,. if you install the items you need and use regularly,. and leave all the stuff you almost never use,. on the server.

Less content should also mean faster searches, either using smart content or older daz/poser stuff.

Hope it helps :)

edited October 2016

Andy Thanks... of course this helps.

3DAGE said:

.Hi John :)

In Carrara,. Your own items, (saved to the browser) are saved into the My Docments/Daz3d/Carrara/My Presets/

Any "user customisation" to Carrara are kept in the "Preferences" file,.  Users/ App Data / Roaming / Daz3d / Carrara

Suspect that next time I uninstall Carrara I'd better make a copy of "preferences file" first to another filename, perhaps "preferences.backup".

3DAGE said:

I'm not sure if that saves custom folders you add you the browser.

In DIM ,. it only keeps a record of programs it installs,. it doesn't know anything about your own items,. or any custom folders you may create after installing the software.

[cut by WGD]

3DAGE said:
    Dim shows you all of your purchased products,. but there's no need to download all of those items in your library and install them.

You can be smart when using DIM,. if you install the items you need and use regularly,. and leave all the stuff you almost never use,. on the server.

I've not downloaded a lot of Poser content but plan to when I get a larger external HD for storage. I'd rather have a copy of the products I purchased whether they cost $$ or were free.

3DAGE said:

Less content should also mean faster searches, either using smart content or older daz/poser stuff.

Hope it helps :)

Yes... I should uninstall quite a lot. Makes perfect sense.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,332

No need - Carrara's preferences file doesn't get removed upon uninstall.

wgdjohn said:
    Jonstark said:

Part of my hesitation with DIM is that there are things I don't want to be installed on my computer anywhere, lots of content I've gotten for free in the Daz store that I don't really want and I don't want to eat up space.  Moreover, I convert content I do want into Carrara objects and save them separately, then clean out the Daz/Poser original version I'll never use, and I don't want DIM re-installing stuff I've already converted and saved elsewhere, again eating up more space.

For things I don't want to install - at least not yet - I right-click (in DIM) and Hide it.

I love DIM!

I've made a really nice setup for installing things exactly where I want them installed. If I want to move something, I do it with DIM via Uninstall, then re-install to it's new directory ;)

Good Grief... a Hide feature... cool.  Is there also a way to UnHide as well?  Suppose there is.

Yup. The very top of the download list "Show Hidden"

Same as right-click > Hide, we can right-click > Unhide

When I was talking about uninstalling to move products, this doesn't change anything in Carrara unless I've saved a copy of something that I move, and then try to open it again from the browser. 

To me that never happens because I usually only move an item if I'm having a hard time finding it - meaning that I've installed it to the wrong runtime. So I go to DIM, find out where I installed it to - make sure it's indeed in the wrong spot.

Other times are when I run across something - noticing that I accidentally installed it to the wrong spot.

In both of the above examples, I notice them before I use them in Carrara - and actually save it to my browser. I've already had the problems related with moving things to differently named runtimes 'after' saving them to Carrara. I do everything I can to avoid that now!

===================================

But it works really slick:

Uninstall the item(s) to be moved to a new folder

The uninstalled item(s) immediately show up in the Downloads list, unless we don't delete installation files after installation, whereas then they'll now show up in the Install list.

Now just select the new location to install to, and run the queue! Simple Dimple!

DIM_RuntimeAdd.jpg
    565 x 713 - 330K
    DIM_ShowDetails.jpg
    572 x 476 - 190K

I made these images for another thread, but see how this image has a circle around "Show Details" and that it's checked. That keeps open the list of installation locations I've made in DIM for my Poser format content.

*Note that I still always just install all of my Daz Studio content to the default My DAZ 3D Library

Now in this image, I show how to add the special locations for Poser content

edited October 2016
    But it works really slick:

Uninstall the item(s) to be moved to a new folder

The uninstalled item(s) immediately show up in the Downloads list, unless we don't delete installation files after installation, whereas then they'll now show up in the Install list.

Now just select the new location to install to, and run the queue! Simple Dimple!

Thanks Dart,  Cool... Hide/Show Hidden works very slick... DIM seems to work even faster... more important is that by having all items not wished installed Hidden... when new items/purchases/upgdates pop up that is all you see.  Tested it last night... hide all PS and Poser files then I discoverd a few items that I'd missed... perhaps those were originally from RDNA and only recently showed up. Hide is definitly a time saver.

The 1st image below is very unlike my setup. I *only* have "Recommended DAZ Studio/Poser Content Folder" shown. Since I don't have Poser nor set up any other runtimes in DIM where I've not added anything. I'd only setup seperate folders/runtimes with DS "Content Manager".

The 2nd image explains why I don't see the window with selections as in the 1st image. I suspected why.

I made these images for another thread, but see how this image has a circle around "Show Details" and that it's checked. That keeps open the list of installation locations I've made in DIM for my Poser format content.

*Note that I still always just install all of my Daz Studio content to the default My DAZ 3D Library

Now in this image, I show how to add the special locations for Poser content