Optimal settings for low-end PCs

TreyMTreyM Posts: 39
edited July 2016 in New Users

Hi

I have an i5 2520m with onboard graphics and 8GB of system RAM. 

I notice that if I am adding more than two figures to the scene, editing becomes barely possible as the system grinds to a crawl. I was wondering, aside from setting the viewport to smooth shaded, whether there were any settings I could adjust that could perhaps reduce the polygons used while in edit mode, yet render in full quality?

For reference I am using 3Delight as I prefer the quick render times to Lux/Iray.

Thanks

TM

Post edited by TreyM on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I had a similar set up and you are right. What I did to finally get a system where a DAZ Studio render wasn't crashing constantly or making the rest of the computer is this:

1. Expanded system RAM to the max for my laptop to 16GB RAM.

2. Remember, everytime when you start DAZ Studio you should have the 'Windows Task Manager' running - then in Task Manager have it show 'details' and then choose the tab 'details' in the Task Manager, the in that tab select the 'DAZ Studio' process entry and right click on it - then you will see a menu from which you select 'set affinity' and that brings up a menu dialogue from with you see a list of All CPU 0 CPU 1 CPU 2 CPU3 and those are all checked. Well now you uncheck one of those CPUs but not the All box and then OK

3. Now DAZ Studio and you PC should run OK but DAZ Studio is still very limited with a PC like yours but you can still do nice renders if you choose the right products and don't overload your scenes.

4. 8 GB RAM with still work following just step 2 & 3 but with smaller scenes than you can do with a 16GB RAM computer. 

• TreyMTreyM Posts: 39

This is very helpful, thank you

• Hi this is my system specifications: I5 5th gen 2.8ghz 12gb ram 2 gb GeForce 940m Can you tell me what setting are best for rendering? Because my render took more that 5+ hour if i setup one character with jym showers setup .
  • Iray or 3Delight? This thread is about the non-defuault 3Delight but most new content is for Iray. Your system is very marginal for Iray, and you certainly are not going to get any benefit from the graphics card/chip. I assume the gym showeres are an enclosed set - for that you won't get much, if any help from the default environment lighting - you will need to make surfaces emissive (if theya re not already) and/or add local lights (point and spot lights), and make sure tha the Environment Mode in Render Settings is set to Scene or Domw and Scene.